shnmclr

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My Brother-in-Law and I got to spend 5 days in and around Austin, Tx. We visited 8 spots over the 5 days. I thought I would share some photos and my thoughts on the food.

Day 1 we got into town in the afternoon and made our way to Stiles Switch in Austin for dinner. The pitmaster spent a few years working at Louie Mueller in Taylor, Tx. so he knows his stuff. The Smoke ring on the Brisket Speaks for itself, crazy! I had the lean brisket, smoked turkey, and the Stiles Spicy Sausage. The sides were pinto beans and a Lemon Vinagrette Slaw that was different, but very good.

Day 2 we made our way over Franklin BBQ. This place is the "it" spot in Austin and most of the state these days and there is a reason. It is far and away the best BBQ I have ever eaten. Generally when I eat someone elses BBQ I think, I could probably replicate this. This is the first time in my 20 years of eating BBQ that I was left speechless. We got there at 7:30 and were 10th in line. By 10am (an hour before they open) the line stretched out the parkng lot and up the street behind the restaurant. It is an experience that should not be missed. Everything was fantastic, but if I had to pick the weakest thing, it would be the sausage. But by no means was it bad in anyway, it's just everything else was so much better. As a bonus we got to meet Aaron and take a picture with him.

Day 3 we got up early and headed to Lexington, Tx. for Snows BBQ. They start serving at 8am until they sell out. We had Brisket, Sausage, Spare Ribs and I would rank them neck and neck with Franklins from a quality standpoint, but they taste nothing like Franklins. You can tell the pitmaster Miss Tootsie (who is an 80 year old woman that's been BBQ'ing for close to 50 years) knows her stuff. It was apparent the only thing they were doing was Salt and Pepper and Post Oak for the smoke. Snows is definitely not to be missed! We then made a trek over to Taylor, Tx. to visit Louie Mueller and get the beef ribs. We each ordered one beef rib and when they we quickly realized we were done for. These ribs were 1.25 lbs each, HUGE! We also ordered a pound of moist brisket and two sausage links. The crust on the ribs was crazy and they tasted awesome. The sausage was in the top three of the best we had.

Day 4 we made our way to La Barbecue in Austin. We got in line about 9:30am and there were 25 or so people ahead of us. They serve free Lone Star beer while you wait, which was nice. We ordered moist Brisket, spare ribs, Pulled Pork, and Sausage links. Everything was well cooked and moist, but I found when eating the brisket that each bite had a different flavor. A bite with the bark tasted one way while meat from the middle tasted completely different. The sausage was a chorizo style sausage, which was different from anything we had had to this point, but it was tasty. The ribs were sauced and I wasn't expecting that, they tasted just fine. Then we got to the pulled pork and it was the weakest meat we had up to this point. It was moist and looked great, but there was absolutely no flavor of any kind to it. I know it's Texas and it's beef country but if you are going to have something on the menu, best to make sure it's got some taste.

Day 5 we stumbled upon a surprise and one of the best pieces of brisket we ate on the trip. Valentinas is a food truck in south Austin and is run by a guy named Miguel. I happened upon a short video with Aaron Franklin talking about Valentinas and so we stopped in for a breakfast Brisket taco. He cooks over mesquite wood, which usually has a strong taste, but I would put his brisket behind only Franklin and Snows as far as quality and taste. We ordered the "Real Deal Holyfield" breakfast taco which had Egg, Brisket, Refried Beans, and a tomatillo salsa on a from scratch made flour tortilla. One of the best things I ate all week. We then made our way to Lockhart, Tx. for Smitty's and Kruez. Both are the oldest running BBQ places in the state, but unfortunately they were both the worst BBQ we at all week. The sausage at Smitty's tasted good, but the casing was loose and it was like trying to bite through plastic. Kruez was the biggest disappointment. We got brisket, Shoulder Clod, spare ribs and Sausage. The Clod tasted like pot roast that was cooked in a crock pot and the ribs were dry as a bone and had char on the bottom. The moist brisket had big hunks of unrendered fat in it. The only redeeming thing was the jalapeno cheddar sausage, which was very good.

I hope you enjoy the pics as much as I enjoyed the trip. I'm thinking Kansas City may be the next destination when we do this again.

Attachments

• DSC_0212.jpg
    DSC_0212.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC_0214.jpg
    DSC_0214.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 267
  • DSC_0217.jpg
    DSC_0217.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 266
  • DSC_0225.jpg
    DSC_0225.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 263
  • DSC_0228.jpg
    DSC_0228.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC_0230.jpg
    DSC_0230.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC_0258.jpg
    DSC_0258.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC_0247.jpg
    DSC_0247.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 267
  • DSC_0259.jpg
    DSC_0259.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC_0264.jpg
    DSC_0264.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 260
  • DSC_0265.jpg
    DSC_0265.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 263
  • DSC_0271.jpg
    DSC_0271.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 263
  • DSC_0275.jpg
    DSC_0275.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC_0286.jpg
    DSC_0286.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 262
  • DSC_0288.jpg
    DSC_0288.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 263
  • DSC_0291.jpg
    DSC_0291.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 263
I plan on making a trip like this within the next year or 2. Everything looks great, I'm sure u guys had a blast trying all that bbq from great cooks. Thanks for sharing all the pics, I'm drooling now. I gotta go fire up the pit now.

Did a similiar trip last year. Really enjoyed them all, but we really liked La Barbecue a lot, I wonder if its changed some since John Lewis isn't fun. Regardless it was a great trip and the worst bbq I ate during that 5 days was still better than anything I can get here in Colorado.

We got pictures with Aaron Franklin, Miss Tootsie from Snows, and Roy Perez from Kruez. I was looking forward to meeting John Lewis, but he wasn't there.

That was awesome! Now I am starving! Thanks for sharing the pics...

Most places sell by the pound. The most expensive was Louie Mueller since the ribs were $22 per pound and each rib was more than a pound. The prices ranged from $25 - $100 based on the amount of meat we got.

Sounds like a trip I need to make in the near future!

Is that a piece of bacon in Valentina's brisket taco? Also, did you happen to get pics of the pits? I'm always curious to see what each place cooks on.

Unfortunately this isn't the first time that I've heard or read a less than glowing review on the two Lockhart joints. My sister works at Lockhart National Bank and she told me that most of the locals get their Q at Black's rather than at Kruez or Smitty's.
In my opinion Franklin, Snow's and Louie Mueller are the all-round best in central Texas with a VERY honorable mention for John Mueller Meat Co. in Austin.:-D

Looks like a heck of a good time to me. I would love to do something like that myself.

Sounds like a trip I need to make in the near future!

Is that a piece of bacon in Valentina's brisket taco? Also, did you happen to get pics of the pits? I'm always curious to see what each place cooks on.

Most of the cookers being used were old 1000 gallon propane/water tanks. Snows, Smitty's, and Kreuz were using the old brick pits with the cantilever metal lids. Here are two examples of the pits. The tank cooker is at La Barbecue and the Brick pit pic is from Smitty's. Notice the fire going on the floor at Smitty's. The walls were black with soot, but it was beyond cool to see. I just wish their food lived up to the reputation.

and yes there was also bacon on the breakfast taco. Valentinas food is insanely well done!

Attachments

• DSC_0261.jpg
    DSC_0261.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 2015-06-01 09.35.51.jpg
    2015-06-01 09.35.51.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 110
I think you have a Big Red addiction.:razz:

I had two the whole week. I will say it's the first time I've had a big red in over 20 years. I don't drink many soft drinks, but If I couldn't get Beer or Sweet Iced Tea, it had to be Big Red!

Wow. Thanks for the pics and details.
I have a trip planned for the fall this year. A week in Austin with a rental is all I need.

Great pics and write-up! Looks like a great trip.

Back