Ace Hardware sale- B&B Oak blend.

Thanks. I scrolled looking at lump coal offerings and El Diablo scrolled. I used to buy El Diablo at Albertsons in Santa Fe 15$ for 40#.
ACE online shows it 19, well 20$ for 40#. My experience was positive with El Diablo lump but it’s been quite a while

Thanks. I scrolled looking at lump coal offerings and El Diablo scrolled. I used to buy El Diablo at Albertsons in Santa Fe 15$ for 40#.
ACE online shows it 19, well 20$ for 40#. My experience was positive with El Diablo lump but it’s been quite a while
I really liked the B&B Hickory but my Ace doesn't have it and the nearest Walmart stopped selling it. This is the first time trying the oak so I hope it's just as good. I'm tempted to buy 4-5 more bags. Have you tried the oak blend? Is it decent?

Yes, I alway have B&B Lump- but also can’t help but buy others. I usually buy the 10# bags of B&B at the grocery store on sale often 5.99$. Mesquite same price but 8#
It wasn’t that long ago the word “blend” was not on the package. In fact I think I have 8-10 ten pound bags of oak. I’m out of mesquite. I like the hickory but at Academy the other day the two Hickory green bags were busted open. Passed.

Yes, I alway have B&B Lump- but also can’t help but buy others. I usually buy the 10# bags of B&B at the grocery store on sale often 5.99$. Mesquite same price but 8#
It wasn’t that long ago the word “blend” was not on the package. In fact I think I have 8-10 ten pound bags of oak. I’m out of mesquite. I like the hickory but at Academy the other day the two Hickory green bags were busted open. Passed.
Haha, the green bag hickory I bought at Walmart was also damaged. 6 bags taped up and had sat there for a few weeks. I finally asked the manager if he would discount them I would buy them all. Got 6-20lb bags for $8 each. And I haven't seen it since. :sad:

I did buy the black bag to try.

Last edited:
I did buy the black bag to try.
The XL was available too but not on sale. A new strategy I have is late in the fall when stores start clearing out the garden section for all the Thanksgiving and Christmas stuff, talk to the manager and you might get a deal on charcoal. That's how I got the hickory lump. They want to clear that floor space for holiday stuff.

I picked up a couple bags from my local Ace, there were definitely some big chunks in there pushing softball size. Used it for prime rib and pork ribs on Mother's day and it cooked great.

FYI I also got a couple 35# bags of Jealous Devil from Tractor Supply to try. Haven't opened them yet but they were $35 with ship to store. Just went on the website and it said it was not available to order, which it did when I initially tried but then was able to order the next day so YMMV. Definitely more $ than the B&B but I wanted to see what the hype is about and usually it's $50 a bag.

The new B&B "oak blend" is not as good as the old non-blend was, but it is still good lump for the price.

I find the new blend sparks a bit more and gets a bit smokier at start up.

I have found a bit less dust at the bottom of the new bags, but that could just be the bags I got.

Overall at the ace sale price it's a good deal

B&B has been a staple for me in the KJ.. I picked up 6 bags this weekend but just noticing the sparking this weekend. I hope the quality isn’t eroding after the duraflame buy out

Just departed Academy on a foggy drizzling morning. No 10MM No 38Spcl
Checked for B&B Hickory (Green Bag). Found it in aisle under about 30+ bags of pellets. Didn’t feel like playing Charcoal Jenga. They had quite a few bags of Oak Blend. Split selection was maple and pinion. My Academy will price match and give additional 5% off —-Thought about price matching ACE B&B Oak Lump sale. But didn’t. Departed Empty handed. Old Country Pits on display outside. Man they’re solid for the price, although price has increased $50. Still under $500.
Coffee was still hot on the drive home.

Last edited:
Thanks for the head's up! Guess I'll be heading up to my local Ace first thing in the morning.

I really liked the B&B Hickory but my Ace doesn't have it and the nearest Walmart stopped selling it. This is the first time trying the oak so I hope it's just as good. I'm tempted to buy 4-5 more bags. Have you tried the oak blend? Is it decent?

I too am a fan of the hickory.I have been using the oak and it is O.K. I would rather have the hickory but realistically,it is not much difference.I have some hickory spits if I really want that Hickory flavor.

Back