"OverSmoked"?

SmittyJonz

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
How can 4 Chunks of wood in a WSM or UDS "OverSmoke" meat but 16 splits in a stickburner not? :confused: I see it on here all the time...."only use 3-4 chunks as not to "OverSmoke" your meat."

I run 20-25 Chunks in my UDS charcoal basket and never experienced "oversmoked"...... :heh:

As long as the fire burns clean, I've never tasted what over smoked is supposed to be.

I agree with dirty fire being the likely culprit. That or perhaps bad / green wood?

in my Stump's I had to use two small chunks and no more or it was a over bearing smoke flavor . also the charcoal embers fall and smolder on the wood and that why I cut back on wood to get the right smoke flavor but still loved my Stump's smoker and miss it .

And then many Gravity Feed guys will say not enough smoke flavor so people say solution is to Mix Chunks thruout the charcoal chute - so bunch o chunks. :loco:

Throw a bunch of green wood on a low burning fire and you can get that bitter "over smoked" flavor. This falls into the dirty fire situation mentioned above, if someone could mistake your smoker for a burning leaf pile.....you might be an over smoker lol

I have used all wood in a WSM 22.5 before without getting that flavor. Just opened the door for a few minutes everytime I added fuel until it caught on fire.

Oversmoking occurs from using too much fuel at once in my opinion and can be prevented by simple methods such as using a snake in the WSM or adding less fuel more often.

"oversmoked" depends on whom you are talking to. For some, yeah, it's dirty smoke. For others, it's too heavy of a flavor.

"oversmoked" depends on whom you are talking to. For some, yeah, it's dirty smoke. For others, it's too heavy of a flavor.

I don't experience either and I'm saying they are the same thing.........if you run clean you don't have too heavy of a flavor otherwise all stickburner cooks would be "oversmoked"........

Last edited:
I'm thinking I might try to over smoke something in the Wood Burning Bandera this Weekend............. 16 splits = 293 wood chunks.

Back