MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-25-2020, 01:39 PM   #9886
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

...and to answer your question about where the pit actually runs 275, it’s supposed to be a pretty even temp throughout once it settles. My experience tells me that’s a fair statement.

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-25-2020, 01:41 PM   #9887
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbro View Post
I put the brisket on at 10:20 this morning, and now (1:30) it’s at 136*, so it seems to be cooking ok? I just don’t understand where PBC is getting their temperature readings? In the past I’ve done my briskets in my CookShack, this is my first try in the PBC. I’ve done other cook in this thing, chicken, ribs, and the temps always seem to run around 225-250*
...if you can’t easily get it hotter using the lighting instructions I think you’ll end up needing to open the bottom vent a bit and go from there

Old 05-27-2020, 11:44 PM   #9888
golfnutgps
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Dodo

Just finished my 2nd cook on the PBC. Just a simple chicken leg quarters with PBC dry rub. Absolutely one of the best thing I've ever cooked. Juicy but also had the crispy skin. It tasted so good. I almost feel like I know what I'm doing. Almost.....

It was 106 today and I almost did not want to go outside and cook. Tomorrow will be the same. But, I cant wait to get home from work tomorrow and try out chicken wings. Should be even better than the chicken quarters. Yum!

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-29-2020, 09:39 AM   #9889
Cleric40
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Cleric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Rub View Post
I have had mine for a couple of years and I cannot cook anything in this thing as it destroys everything I cook. Now before anybody says I am doing it wrong, I have watched every you tube video, I have read every advise page, I have tried it all. I have experimented with all kids of tips and tricks and the thing will not settle down, it cooks wide open. I made ribs on it a month ago and I went out to check on it an hour later and the ribs looked like they had been on there for 6 hours, they were pulled completely back and were charred black, this was one hour. This can be said for everything I cook in it, the only thing I have had luck with is a whole chicken. So I ordered a new lid thinking maybe the lid was warped as I always see smoke coming out and even with the new lid I am still having the same results. I am ready to throw it in the trash because I have lost so much money and ruined so many dinners with this thing, IMO it is not worth the risk anymore. I don’t know what else to do. Somebody said they used gasket and it fixed it, I dont know what else to do. The customer service is worthless and I told them so. To be honest I am looking at a 55 gallon Gateway right now. I think I am going to put this pit barrel to the curb and get a drum smoker. It just sucks because I see so many people that have great results, but then I see others like me that just have nothing but problems.
I still struggle with my PBJ as well. I’ve tried almost every lighting method; brethren recommendations and customer service recommendations. Throttling the bottom vent even more than fully closed with foil.. still no luck. The only thing that seemed to help was placing foil under the lid to help seal. I don’t want to have to do this every time so I’m also very close to giving up on the PBJ.

Part of me believes perhaps the junior’s design cannot meet the defined operating conditions or something else is wrong.

If anyone has any further feedback to help Rib Rub and I we’d greatly appreciate it.
Cleric40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2020, 03:32 PM   #9890
golfnutgps
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Dodo

Didn't get a chance to post last night after doing wings and corn on the cob. Wings were delicious with just the PBC rub that came with the order. Corn on the cob were soaked for 30 min in cold water. Did not remove the husk. Cooked for about 1 hr because I was playing a game on the computer and forgot about it. Corn was perfect. Butter, salt and pepper and it was a 10/10.

I have pre-ordered a Fireboard v2. I can't wait to cook a brisket on this thing.

My Blackston griddle is getting jealous. I haven't cooked on that for a week and a half now since getting the PBC. My Kettle is looking funny at me too.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:27 PM   #9891
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

^that’s a fun post. Thanks for the corn details

Old 06-01-2020, 02:11 AM   #9892
Ilmando
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Atefano

in your opinion, PBC can be replicate with 55 gallon barrel? some experience? here in italy PBC is nohhere to be found and the price is unattainable!!
Thank you
Ilmando is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2020, 05:42 PM   #9893
Cabin Fever
Full Fledged Farker

Hey guys. I finally picked up a PBC after all these years. There's an Amish themed grocery store that I pass on my way to work that's had two PBC's sitting on their porch for the last year. No one ever pays them any mind so I finally asked one day how much they were and the owner said $299.

I knew right off the bat that it was a steal since they bumped the price up to $350 earlier this year, but I went ahead and asked anyway if he could sweeten the deal since it wasn't in the box and was really dusty. He dropped the price to $265 and even threw in a brand new cover. Needless to say I'm pretty excited as I NEVER find deals like this or have this kind of good luck.

The only negatives (and I'm by no means complaining) are that it took some elbow grease to clean and shine her up and it was missing the two free packs of bbq rub that usually come with the cooker. Very small price to pay as far as I'm concerned. Anyway, I'm getting ready to order the ash pan before I fire it up for the first time and was wondering what other accessories if any I should also add to the mix? I'm kind of torn on the skewers. They seem a little over priced for what they are.

Couldn't I just take some quality stainless steel skewers and drill a hole for hanging? Also, how does their chimney starter compare to Weber's compact rapid fire chimney? From pics I've seen the PBC chimney doesn't seem as well built as Weber's. I just want to buy something that's gonna last. Sorry for the long post guys. I'm just really stoked about this purchase. Any tips and advice would really be appreciated.
Cabin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2020, 05:46 PM   #9894
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabin Fever View Post
Hey guys. I finally picked up a PBC after all these years. There's an Amish themed grocery store that I pass on my way to work that's had two PBC's sitting on their porch for the last year. No one ever pays them any mind so I finally asked one day how much they were and the owner said $299.
Nice score! I am a big fan of the turkey hangers. Get the two pack so you can do two chickens if you wanted to.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-05-2020, 06:08 PM   #9895
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

I'd say the hanging grate is a must-have so you have more flexibility to cook certain items at the same time.

For skewers, I just bought cheep shishkabob skewers with a loop on the end. Bent the ends of them up by hand to keep things from sliding off.

In the first pic, you can see the bend in the metal at the left of the pic. These were pork belly burnt ends that I did for a Super Bowl a few years back with a brisket going at the same time, as seen in the second picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Super Bowl Pork Ends 1.jpg (71.8 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg Super Bowl Pit.jpg (56.3 KB, 158 views)

Old 06-05-2020, 06:13 PM   #9896
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabin Fever View Post
Hey guys. I finally picked up a PBC after all these years.
The only negatives (and I'm by no means complaining) are that it took some elbow grease to clean and shine her up and it was missing the two free packs of bbq rub that usually come with the cooker. Very small price to pay as far as I'm concerned. Anyway, I'm getting ready to order the ash pan before I fire it up for the first time and was wondering what other accessories if any I should also add to the mix? I'm kind of torn on the skewers. They seem a little over priced for what they are.

Couldn't I just take some quality stainless steel skewers and drill a hole for hanging? Also, how does their chimney starter compare to Weber's compact rapid fire chimney? From pics I've seen the PBC chimney doesn't seem as well built as Weber's. I just want to buy something that's gonna last. Sorry for the long post guys. I'm just really stoked about this purchase. Any tips and advice would really be appreciated.
Congratulations on the new purchase! As far as accessories go it really depends on what you think you will use in my opinion. I have the hinged cooking grate and use it often. I wouldn’t use the skewers so I don’t have them. You can use any chimney starter but I’ve found the SMALL Weber chimney is the perfect size both for the amount of coals to light as well as being able to easily fit it inside the PBC to dump the hot coals over the unlit. Some form of ash catcher is absolutely necessary in my opinion so you are on the right track there. Also, if I were you I’d order some of the Beef and Game rub. That’s one of my favorite rubs for beef wether I’m cooking in the PBC or not!

Good luck! And welcome to the PBC club!
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2020, 06:18 PM   #9897
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
I'd say the hanging grate is a must-have so you have more flexibility to cook certain items at the same time.

For skewers, I just bought cheep shishkabob skewers with a loop on the end. Bent the ends of them up by hand to keep things from sliding off.

In the first pic, you can see the bend in the metal at the left of the pic. These were pork belly burnt ends that I did for a Super Bowl a few years back with a brisket going at the same time, as seen in the second picture.
Hanging grate is for a sure a must. I honestly forget it didn't just come that way.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2020, 06:22 PM   #9898
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharp View Post
Hanging grate is for a sure a must. I honestly forget it didn't just come that way.

I haven't used the standard grate in years.

I'd also recommend more hooks. The picture above of the pit in action has me using 8 hooks.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:06 PM   #9899
Cabin Fever
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the quick responses everyone! So it sounds like the hinged grate is a must have right along with the ash pan. I'm gonna hold off on the turkey hanger for the time being though as I usually prefer butterflied/split birds. I think I'll end up going with the small Weber chimney as well. Thanks again guys. Much appreciated!
Cabin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2020, 04:19 PM   #9900
Dirk41
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Hey there,

Looking into getting a PBJ as my first foray into "live fire" cooking. I'm short on space living in the city with a miniscule "yard" but I make it work.

I like the idea of the pit barrel because it is a little different and seems to be the most set and forget type of live fire cooker with the smallest learning curve. And it has the junior.

This thread has already been valuable for me, but if you had to describe what you love the most about the pit barrel vs a standard Weber, WSM, or even Oklahoma Joe, what would it be?
Dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it