Government Loan Opportunities

Caseyjoenz

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
As of very recently I'm on disability. We would like to offset our income by putting a catering or food truck business in my wife's name. Is anyone familiar with a government loan program/PPP that may give her a better chance of getting a loan? I don't even know if PPP is a thing anymore. Thank you.

I would recommend you contact your local bank or credit union to see what your options are. Ppp loans aren’t available anymore however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When I was looking for money for my BBQ food truck business there was nothing available. I tried going through the Small Business Association (SBA) and they tried to connect me with loans, but they were all sky high interest + fees...some were APR of higher than 20%. After 2 or 3 months I ended up just taking out a personal loan from my bank (a credit union) and I got $20K deposited in my account in about 30 seconds.

Mind you both myself and my wife had credit scores of 800+, but when it comes to business loans the banking sharks out there try to absolutely rake you over the coals.

Restaurants (both mobile as well as brick & mortar) are classified as "ultra high risk" so getting money is a serious challenge. I've spoken with others who were denied loans even though they were willing to put their house up as collateral. It's insane and this was pre-Covid. I can only imagine how much more difficult it is today.

Also understand that if you do still want to pursue a business loan you'll need a fully fledged Business Plan. That takes some time to put together so if you haven't already it's a good idea to get started on putting that together.

Seriously though good luck with venture, and I hope it works out. Mind you running a BBQ food truck was a massive undertaking and I worked longer hours running my food truck than I did in the Marine Corps. I would wake up at 11pm, cook all night long, go and do my lunch service from 11am to 1pm, clean up the truck / dishes, and then immediately back in bed at 3pm to start it all over again. If you're in a good spot where meat is both affordable and plentiful then there's good potential for profit, but it's a very physically demanding profession. I was on my feet 95% of the 16 hour work day and it was exhausting during the summers.

I'm new here and I just wanted to add that starting a catering or food truck business sounds like a great idea to offset your income. You might want to check out the Small Business Administration (SBA) for government loan programs that your wife can apply for. The Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) is still available, so that's worth looking into.

Best listen to Bruce's advice about working a job while collecting disability. Insurance companies are well known for using private investigators to monitor recipients of disability payments to make sure they are not doing something such as working a job or even doing chores around the outside of the house that their doctor(s) have stated they cannot or should not do, thus making them disabled for employment. I was told this by my doctor when I was off for nine months on workers compensation. My doctor also told me to not even cut my own lawn. As Bruce said, check with a labor lawyer on what you can and cannot do.

And be aware of this. Running a food truck is not an 8 to 5 job. It can be very hard work with long hours. Good luck.

Yes

Best listen to Bruce's advice about working a job while collecting disability. Insurance companies are well known for using private investigators to monitor recipients of disability payments to make sure they are not doing something such as working a job or even doing chores around the outside of the house that their doctor(s) have stated they cannot or should not do, thus making them disabled for employment. I was told this by my doctor when I was off for nine months on workers compensation. My doctor also told me to not even cut my own lawn. As Bruce said, check with a labor lawyer on what you can and cannot do.

And be aware of this. Running a food truck is not an 8 to 5 job. It can be very hard work with long hours. Good luck.

You may have a higher risk tolerance than me, but insurance companies take this really seriously- as in felony, jail time seriously. In todays world they wouldn’t even need an investigator. Some happy customer posts a pic of you serving bbq on Facebook and you’re in an orange jumpsuit.

Back