Need some Baby Back Ribs advice - please.

Pappy

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Need some advice for smoking Baby Back Ribs. I normally do spare ribs and don’t foil.
I’ve been smoking on a UDS for about 1 year now. I bought a 18.5 WSM. I’m going to smoke 2 racks of BB ribs for the 1st time this weekend with some wood chunks, Kingsford blue and use Chris Lilly’s Memphis dry rub. I will also be using a IQ110. Have a foiled clay saucer for the water pan.

What should the cooking temp & cooking time be for baby backs?
I was thinking 250 to 275 range and it might take 5 hours? (I know they are done when they are done)

Should I mop with something?

What kind wood would you use? I have hickory, apple, wild cherry and pecan available.

On my BWS Chubby, I use apple wood and cook at 250 for four hours. The top rack is always done by then the other racks may take an extra 15 to 30 minutes. I would think 5 hours is too long.

On my BWS Chubby, I use apple wood and cook at 250 for four hours. The top rack is always done by then the other racks may take an extra 15 to 30 minutes. I would think 5 hours is too long.

OK maybe about 4 hour +/-
The ribs are about 2.3 pounds each. Figured on having both ribs on the top rack.

@275 they should be done before 4 hours as long as you leave the cooker closed and let the magic happen. Now if you foil, mop, spritz etc, all bets are off on time. It will take longer.

Maybe substitute the brown sugar with turbinado. I like the bark I get using turbinado over brown.

Do yourself a favor and remove the membrane from the ribs before cooking. I use a dry rub and a rib rack. I cook them at about 250 for 4 to 5 hours....

On my stumps @250 they go 3.5 - 4 hrs. I spritz after the first hour and since you have a draft system you can get away with opening the door long enough to spritz if you wanted. Got to love those fast recovery times

On my stumps @250 they go 3.5 - 4 hrs. I spritz after the first hour and since you have a draft system you can get away with opening the door long enough to spritz if you wanted. Got to love those fast recovery times

Does spritzing add to the time or is it just opening up the smoker

Thin slippery skin on bottom side of the slab. Just get the tip of your knife under and lift it up a little then grab the corner of it with a paper towel and pull it off. Just don't get into the second membrane that holds the Bones together

Do yourself a favor and remove the membrane from the ribs before cooking. I use a dry rub and a rib rack. I cook them at about 250 for 4 to 5 hours....

I always get rid of the membrane.

Why the rib rack?
I have a couple that I have used for large amount of ribs at one time.

The last set of bb's that I did on my wsm took 5 hours at 240 ish. They were really meaty and thick. Keep the lid closed. if you have to peek, look through the exhaust (shine a flashlight in through one of the other holes if you need more light) Hickory or apple chuncks should work just fine.

These were done at 240* and took about 4 and a half hours. I did open the lid at 2 hours and flipped them over. No spray, no peak no foil. I started to check for doneness a bit before the 4 hour mark. Used a skewer and poked them through the vent hole. Came out perfect. If you want to sauce just do it when almost done and let them finish.

utf-8BSU1BRzAzNDcuanBn.jpg

These were done at 240* and took about 4 and a half hours. I did open the lid at 2 hours and flipped them over. No spray, no peak no foil. I started to check for doneness a bit before the 4 hour mark. Used a skewer and poked them through the vent hole. Came out perfect. If you want to sauce just do it when almost done and let them finish.

utf-8BSU1BRzAzNDcuanBn.jpg
WOW does that look GOOD!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339808311.273757.jpg

I did baby backs today for the first time on my new to me UDS. Ran at 250-275 degrees. I did 2 hours, foiled for an hour, and finish unwrapped for 45 minutes or so. These were my first attempt at a wet, sticky rib vs the usual dry rub ones I like.

WOW does that look GOOD!!

Thanx, I did not have finished pics of the baby backs, they got eaten to fast. These are some spares I did the same way, just a little longer on times. As you can see it got a little dark on the finish color because it was a hair over done.

utf-8BSU1BRzAyMDUuanBn.jpg

Those don't look too dark to me. For home BBQ, color isn't that important. I bet they tasted great.

Those don't look too dark to me. For home BBQ, color isn't that important. I bet they tasted great.

Oh, don't get me wrong, taste was great, they were a little to fall off the bone for me, perfect for the wife. To the original poster, smoke them bones, when they probe like butter eat em. Best thing I have ever done is toss out the meat thermometer.

Last edited:
Back