MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Need some Baby Back Ribs advice - please.

Need some advice for smoking Baby Back Ribs. I normally do spare ribs and don’t foil.
I’ve been smoking on a UDS for about 1 year now. I bought a 18.5 WSM. I’m going to smoke 2 racks of BB ribs for the 1st time this weekend with some wood chunks, Kingsford blue and use Chris Lilly’s Memphis dry rub. I will also be using a IQ110. Have a foiled clay saucer for the water pan.

What should the cooking temp & cooking time be for baby backs?
I was thinking 250 to 275 range and it might take 5 hours? (I know they are done when they are done)

Should I mop with something?

What kind wood would you use? I have hickory, apple, wild cherry and pecan available.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
jlane
Full Fledged Farker

On my BWS Chubby, I use apple wood and cook at 250 for four hours. The top rack is always done by then the other racks may take an extra 15 to 30 minutes. I would think 5 hours is too long.
jlane is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlane View Post
On my BWS Chubby, I use apple wood and cook at 250 for four hours. The top rack is always done by then the other racks may take an extra 15 to 30 minutes. I would think 5 hours is too long.
OK maybe about 4 hour +/-
The ribs are about 2.3 pounds each. Figured on having both ribs on the top rack.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
Durzil
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
OK maybe about 4 hour +/-
The ribs are about 2.3 pounds each. Figured on having both ribs on the top rack.
Yeah 250*-275* for 4 hours +/- is a good start. I'd use a chunk of apple and cherry.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

@275 they should be done before 4 hours as long as you leave the cooker closed and let the magic happen. Now if you foil, mop, spritz etc, all bets are off on time. It will take longer.

Maybe substitute the brown sugar with turbinado. I like the bark I get using turbinado over brown.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
LADawg
Found some matches.

Do yourself a favor and remove the membrane from the ribs before cooking. I use a dry rub and a rib rack. I cook them at about 250 for 4 to 5 hours....
LADawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

On my stumps @250 they go 3.5 - 4 hrs. I spritz after the first hour and since you have a draft system you can get away with opening the door long enough to spritz if you wanted. Got to love those fast recovery times

Old 06-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #8
spider22
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstyle View Post
On my stumps @250 they go 3.5 - 4 hrs. I spritz after the first hour and since you have a draft system you can get away with opening the door long enough to spritz if you wanted. Got to love those fast recovery times
Does spritzing add to the time or is it just opening up the smoker
spider22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
spider22
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LADawg View Post
Do yourself a favor and remove the membrane from the ribs before cooking. I use a dry rub and a rib rack. I cook them at about 250 for 4 to 5 hours....
What is the membrane?

Old 06-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

Thin slippery skin on bottom side of the slab. Just get the tip of your knife under and lift it up a little then grab the corner of it with a paper towel and pull it off. Just don't get into the second membrane that holds the Bones together

Old 06-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LADawg View Post
I always get rid of the membrane.

Why the rib rack?
I have a couple that I have used for large amount of ribs at one time.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #12
realspaazz
Take a breath!

The last set of bb's that I did on my wsm took 5 hours at 240 ish. They were really meaty and thick. Keep the lid closed. if you have to peek, look through the exhaust (shine a flashlight in through one of the other holes if you need more light) Hickory or apple chuncks should work just fine.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
Pugi
Full Fledged Farker

These were done at 240* and took about 4 and a half hours. I did open the lid at 2 hours and flipped them over. No spray, no peak no foil. I started to check for doneness a bit before the 4 hour mark. Used a skewer and poked them through the vent hole. Came out perfect. If you want to sauce just do it when almost done and let them finish.

Pugi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #14
missin44
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider22 View Post
What is the membrane?

Good demo: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/loinbackribprep.html

I usually do mine 4.5 to 5 hrs no foiling at 235.
missin44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #15
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugi View Post
These were done at 240* and took about 4 and a half hours. I did open the lid at 2 hours and flipped them over. No spray, no peak no foil. I started to check for doneness a bit before the 4 hour mark. Used a skewer and poked them through the vent hole. Came out perfect. If you want to sauce just do it when almost done and let them finish.

WOW does that look GOOD!!

Tags
Baby back ribs