Spare Ribs & Saigon 21 Shenanigans in the 505 - a weekend thread (w/Pr0n!)

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
This weekend, we're making kcmike's Pho Ga recipe on Sunday.

I wanted to do something a little different with the chicken side of the house, so I picked up a package of boneless/skinless chicken thighs, hit them with a bit of avocado oil, and a heavy application of Saigon 21 (green plate). On 2 of them, I went back and added an application of HDD for a touch of sweetness and heat (yellow plate).

fEMwGHvl.jpg

Fired up the Vortex in the 26er, as the boss wanted chili dogs for lunch. Might as well cook everything at once to save on fuel.

w30JzXHl.jpg

Dogs joined the bird after about 2/3 of their cook.

pAnLSFfl.jpg

Brought in the bird, cooled it. Bagged it separately and put it in the fridge for use tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Meanwhile, I layered a dish with tots, dogs, hotdog chili, onions, condiments, and cheese.... into the broiler for a couple of minutes.

lVMaYE8l.jpg

Yahtzee! That's amazing!

Time to handle those ribs - St. Louis Spares today.

A really nice apple rub from Wash State courtesy of Wazzufan and some Oakridge Smokey Chile Lime on a 1/2 & 1/2 format.

FK5x0xpl.jpg

Chef's snack of the flap trimmings with Oakridge SPOGOS as a treat for this afternoon.

5GBX6fSl.jpg

SnS ticking along at 250ish with hickory smoke...

More to follow.

ZpC4Uxjl.jpg

Once again, the Smokey Chile Lime wins the day.
I should've hit the bones with more of the apple late in the cook, as the "apple-y" flavor departed.

TNx4EEWl.jpg

Thanks for your patience with today's bones and whatnot.

Tomorrow brings about the Pho Ga experiment if you're interested (even if you're not... Ha!)

Those thighs do look great!

All these Saigon 21 posts have me craving some pho. Luckily, new pho shop opened like 1 mile from my house. I think I'll order some pho takeout for dinner.

Watching to see how the Pho comes out. I agree with adding the HDD on half. The Saigon21 has a bit of a kick but I was wanting just a bit more.

You had a good day at the grill!

I agree with adding the HDD on half. The Saigon21 has a bit of a kick but I was wanting just a bit more.

You think so? I don't get much kick... but I get some really lovely dark umami ("aye papi!" says the wife) followed by some bright lime and basil notes.

BREAK BREAK

I'm terrible at following some directions... and have been known to use whatever's in the house.

First rebellious spurt - I didn't have any Swanson Stock... but we DO have some chicken bone broth.

MWHOsjql.jpg

Second rebellious spurt - I don't have the right noodles, but these are brown rice and what CINCHOUSE asked me (directed me) to use. Yes ma'am.

8uVn9dfl.jpg

Grabbed the bird from the fridge and started making plans... let's warm up the bits we'll need for tonight so I can shred it, then I can put the rest back in the fridge for another meal.

XjSe9zyl.jpg

Whacked thighs into the toaster oven for about 10 minutes on 350.
Shredded Saigon 21 x 2 thighs in top bowl.
Shredded Saigon 21 + HDD on 1 thigh in bottom bowl.
I stole a taste of both. :shock: Day-um!

yeklJ8Cl.jpg

More to follow.

Mike... KCMike... this is ridiculous.

I'll be honest that I made a couple of tweaks, so bear with me.

The broth went in the pot and I added in some shaved onion that had been soaked in water for 30 minutes (IAW another recipe). I added in the Saigon 21, pretty much to your directions.

fZ0hFgRl.jpg

As I had broth instead of stock, I added in a couple of iced tea spoons worth of bacon grease from our jar for richness. I brought it all to a boil while I started on the noodles.

7EIWkGzl.jpg

Tasted the soup and it wasn't "chicken-y" enough... so I added in 2 x iced tea spoons (yes, the same one from the bacon grease) of Chicken Better Than, Better Than Boullion to the pot. Slow boiled for about another 10 minutes. Yahtzee!

Built my daughter's bowl.
- Rice noodles
- Shredded Saigon 21 Chicken
- Chiffonaded Basil and Cilantro
- Ladled in soup to cover.

VtoRMd6l.jpg

Kwr3fhEl.jpg

My turn.

Same as above, but with the Saigon 21 + HDD chicken with 6 slices of jalapeño.

POFWgpol.jpg

jXrmkqql.jpg

Whole family has been crushing their bowls, and I devoured everything down to just the jalapeños in mine.

Ridiculously flavorful... crowd pleaser... absolute MUST TRY for anyone who's not joined the club.

Back