How long do you keep rubs?

smokeisgood

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Do any of you keep a rubs only for a specific time? (Like one season?) I like to try different things, so I wind up with half bottles sometimes for a 2 0r 3 years. (kept in a kitchen cabinet) I usually don't toss them until they start clumping. But I'm wondering if the spices get stale.

Most spices have lots of volatile chemicals that are a big part of their flavor. These chemicals dissipate into the air overtime. Basically anything you can smell will lose flavor over time.

1 year is fine for most things, but I find some it can be even faster. Just think of how strong fresh ground pepper is, and how much less strong it is pre ground.

Keep everything will sealed can help for sure. And use old stuff and see if you care. If not go for it.

I'm sure i have some rubs that are 5+ years old. Periodically I will toss very low use items.....to make room for more rubs that i prob wont use.

I like options, even if i dont use them very often.

Depends how they're stored....the plastic shaker bottles that are not air tight will degrade quicker than sealed ziplock airtight bags like Oakridge BBQ uses.

Usually till they get clumpy or they are finished. I have reduced the number of store bought rubs i buy considerably though. Making my own has helped with going thru all my spices while they are fresh.

Probably too long, but I think I usually let them go 18 months or so.

My 4 and 2 year old enjoy "cooking" with spices, so I've started to let them help clear out my old spices / rubs. They mix them together, usually have a carrot or celery stalk I can let them play with as well.

I make Frakenrubs just to use up the leftovers that are not top shelf in my aresanal .Getting harder to do though cause most of the ones I buy are Top Shelf.Guess I need to use more!

I threw away a couple of 2+ year old bottles last week. Now I really only use Oakridge stuff, and go thru it fast enough to not worry about it!

Hey guys, I did a video on this a couple of months ago. Here's a link if you would like to watch it...

https://youtu.be/cFwM8QE7lqQ

:thumb: :thumb:

Thanks!

Great video. I've shared it a few times. I have several friends that use Oakridge and I commented on "are you pouring out of the bag properly?" which, obviously sounds absurd. So, I sent the link. I have noticed that since your bags are the same on both sides (compared to some that have a window) the male side isn't consistently on the one side. But, that's easy enough to determine.

I have a rather large spice rack, so I do put a few of my frequently used rubs in there. I go through SPOGOS so quickly, that I don't think the jar hurts it at all. For anything that is semi-frequent, it stays in it's original package, in a covered bus tub, on a bookshelf.

Too long I’m sure. But if they still work, I use them. I always taste before putting it on the food.

Too long I’m sure. But if they still work, I use them. I always taste before putting it on the food.
Same here. It's hard to remember sometimes what each rub tastes like and if it's starting to lose its flavor or not. That's another reason I cook a trimmed piece of ribs, butts or brisket next to the big meat. I'll know in an hour or 2 if I need to add more rub to what I'm cooking.

That was a good video Mike did. I always leave my oakridge in the bags. I was glad when I found out that Dink's started using similar bags. I'll probably stick with those 2 brands just to keep it simple and not waste so much rub. Both produce quality products and have enough variety that I shouldn't get bored.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I have my favorites I always use, like Yardbird, Smoking Guns Sweet Heat, etc., but I am always trying new ones, especially for beef. I just bought some Cow Cover from Kosmo, but haven't tried it yet. Also looking at Lane's BBQ "Spellbound", and I'm also going to pick up some of Heath Rile's stuff. Just have to make room in the cabinet, lol. Thanks for the responses

Back