Shirley Manufacturing Smoker?

Pa_BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Now that I am about to finally own a 24X42 cabinet smoker with warmer have a few questions.

With the standard firebox, how often do you need to feed it to keep temps at 225 in mild weather?

How even are temps throughout main cooking chamber?

I never run my Shirley that low, she likes 275 to 300. once I get a good base going, I add a split about every 35-40 mins. but it depends on the moisture content of the wood, the size of the splits. but, don't sweat the exact temps, once you get her going, keep it with in a 20 to 30 degree swing or so. Again, don't sweat it, it is BBQ not brain surgery. Have fun

Right on with 40 minute range. About 25 degrees side to side. The bottom shelf starts slower but then tend to run about 25 degrees hotter into the first hour. Agree with previous, happiest at 275. If I want to cook lower, put as far away from the firebox as possible.

If you can't run it lower than 275 then try building a smaller fire.

ive run my Lang at 150-190 for 3+ hours while making jerky. Smaller splits and feed it every 30 instead of 40. Dial the intakes down to 1/3 on both sides and it levels out top to bottom and side to side...hums right along.

If you can't run it lower than 275 then try building a smaller fire.
Yep, you should be able to get 225-400. Just play with the size of the splits or how many you add at once.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

it will be all in how big your splits are and how long your splits are and after that the temp thing will be when you add the next split .

What size splits can you fit in the firebox? I get to pick her up Tuesday. :)

That's probably my problem with temps... I forget I have to split the big ones and end up throwing them in anyway.

Like the other Shirley guys. Mine likes to run at 275-300 with no effort. I just let it roll. My cooks have never been better.

Back