MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:01 PM   #1
RedKamado
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Ale Barleyman
Default New SF Order Submitted

I am very excited. Yesterday I submitted my deposit and worked with Tyler to place an order. Build details below. I figured I would put my build money into smoker functionality, so I opted out of the SS shelf. I think it will be fun to make a custom cedar or butcher block shelf instead. Im still on the fence between switching to the 24x60 trailer model. The larger 60" cook chamber would allow for cooking a hog, but will I ever do that? The trailer would make it easier for pick up and transport, but do I plan on moving my cooker once I get it home? Also, I could always separate get a tandem axel trailer which I could use for my tractor as well... So many variables!

24X42 Cabinet Patio Model
Insulated Firebox
Ash pan, firebox
Warmer 28" tall
3rd shelf add, warmer
Hip roof, warmer
Charcoal grate, warmer
Removable sausage hanger, warmer
Both Dampers (firebox & cooking chamber)
Baffle block, cooking chamber
probe insert (2), 1 cooking chamber, 1 warmer
RedKamado is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 07-17-2018, 01:06 PM   #2
IFlyEm
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Mike

What’s the lead time?

Old 07-17-2018, 01:16 PM   #3
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyEm View Post
What’s the lead time?
Too long. And then everyone in front of you will change their order, making it even longer. Shirley needs to quit allowing all the order changes or bump order change people to the side.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2018, 01:28 PM   #4
IFlyEm
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Sounds like they need to hire more fabricators.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #5
Inthewoods
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Easier said then done... I frame houses mostly and any jackwagon with a set of bags will stroll in just to see the back of him off the job by break...

Skilled trades are hard spots to fill...it ain't stocking shelves at Walmart

-D
Inthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2018, 01:35 PM   #6
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
Too long. And then everyone in front of you will change their order, making it even longer. Shirley needs to quit allowing all the order changes or bump order change people to the side.

People know the deal when ordering a cooker..... our business model has worked and has been successful up to now... it’s not for everyone .... but for some it is perfect I appreciate your concern but see no need to change.... I myself am not taking anymore orders when I’m caught up as I build separate from Tyler then I’ll do As I please I will build a cooker when I want to and it will go up for sale immediately.... work for a Tyler some... fish.... focus in on some new designs... if the cooker industry drops off today...Tyler will not miss a beat.... neither will I.... my mamma taught me to not put all our eggsl in one basket... I assure you we make a lot more money off industrial work than cookers... and we can get all the work we want aside from cookers ..... the economy is booming and master craftsman like us are in very high demand.... my customers are happy.... and so am I.... like I said the wait is not for everybody.... but all people are not the same.... for some it is ideal for a number of reasons......:)

Check out our website at ShirleyFabrication.com

Like our Facebook Page Facebook.com/ShirleyFabrication
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2018, 01:40 PM   #7
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthewoods View Post
Easier said then done... I frame houses mostly and any jackwagon with a set of bags will stroll in just to see the back of him off the job by break...

Skilled trades are hard spots to fill...it ain't stocking shelves at Walmart

-D

You are exactly right.... you will go thru 20 to get one good one.... we are exactly where we want to be

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:41 PM   #8
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Theres the old saying "If you want it done right, do it yourself". I think that rings true and that's why Shirley does not hire. I cant blame them.

The problem is allowing all the order changes. Sunny Moberg mentioned this problem too. You have people who will order a single 500 gallon on skids, then when come time to build they go "Well I change my mind. I decided I want two 500 gallons on a trailer". That penalizes everyone behind them.

Order change people should get pushed aside and delayed, and non order change people move up in the que.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2018, 01:47 PM   #9
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Theres the old saying "If you want it done right, do it yourself". I think that rings true and that's why Shirley does not hire. I cant blame them.

The problem is allowing all the order changes. Sunny Moberg mentioned this problem too. You have people who will order a single 500 gallon on skids, then when come time to build they go "Well I change my mind. I decided I want two 500 gallons on a trailer."

Order change people should get pushed aside and delayed, and non order change people move up in the que.

There is one problem...... I’ve never had anyone who did not change...... Nar a one...... one reason I’m not taking anymore orders.... I’ve been putting in over 80 hrs a week for about 2 years.... I’m as tough as they come... ask any of the young hands they can’t hang with me.... but it’s time for me to slow down and get out my bream Pole more often...... it will be a while.... but I’ll get there..... anyone on my list that wants a refund..... holler..... I lll send it out...... one thing we have never had to do.... is rob peter to pay Paul..... I thank the good lord for that too

Old 07-17-2018, 01:53 PM   #10
locosmoke
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
SOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! worth the wait!

Old 07-17-2018, 01:53 PM   #11
Inthewoods
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscaloosaQ View Post
You are exactly right.... you will go thru 20 to get one good one.... we are exactly where we want to be
20??? Hell ya mean per week right? Lol
I can't even count anymore what it takes to find one good hand!
I will say this...thanks to the underwhelming work ethic we see today it has done wonders for my sense of humor!

-D
Inthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-17-2018, 01:56 PM   #12
mattmountz94
Babbling Farker

I don't agree with the changing. Changes happen. I am sure every now and then people even go smaller then there original plan. Finances change from 2yr from now and you may need to back off the build. I think it works both ways. There is always new ideas coming out as well. I am sure with the 2yr wait there will be some new options coming out, instance the new backsplash idea.

I waited 25yrs for my wife, i can wait 2 yrs for my second wife

Old 07-17-2018, 01:57 PM   #13
locosmoke
On the road to being a farker

To OP I was in a similar debate about my build started wanting a 24x43 but in the end got 24x60 pretty tricked out. I have already done a 100lbs pig on mine with more to come after how good that one was. To me trailer just made sense once I got that big of cooker and as for stainless self I was not gonna get it but my wife stepped in and said I was and that is probably one of the best options because of ease of clean up. My build changed mostly because my wife said if I'm spending that kind of money don't nickel and dime get exactly what you want cause you are only doing this once.

Last edited by locosmoke; 07-17-2018 at 02:08 PM..
locosmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2018, 01:59 PM   #14
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthewoods View Post
20??? Hell ya mean per week right? Lol
I can't even count anymore what it takes to find one good hand!
I will say this...thanks to the underwhelming work ethic we see today it has done wonders for my sense of humor!

-D
Yes a day.....it amazes me how hard it is to find people.... a lot of it is mamma and daddy’s fault..... I had no choice... I was the youngest of 6... they all kicked my butt... even my sisters....

Old 07-17-2018, 02:58 PM   #15
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

They have a Great reputation Congrats and Enjoy
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team