• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Shaggy does a pig!

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
For this year's BBQ, I decided it was time to give a whole hog a shot. Picked up an 80lber from the local pig store for about $100. It was a little too long (5") for my 40" grates, so Chicagokp let me borrow his 24x60.

Day before, I trimmed her up. Removed the rib membranes, and trimmed anything resembling glands or weird fat. Also had to complete the slit on her belly and cut through the breast bone. One of the back hooves smelled a little funky so I cut off both back legs at the joint. Didn't take long. Then at about 12 hours to smoking time I injected her pretty heavily with Chris Lily's injection. I halved the salt, and added pepper, cider vinegar, and some Tabasco.

Morning of, I fired up KP's smoker at about 6am. While it warmed up, I rubbed petunia up with some Oakridge Secret weapon. I put a couple cabbages under the loins to protect them. It also helped keep her shape. (thanks GTR!)

At 6:30, she hit the smoker. I used some long toothpicks to hold her ears in place.

A couple hours in, foiled the ears and snout

A couple more hours and I foiled the head

At 7 hours petunia was looking pretty. I foiled her up to keep her pretty color. I had foil rolled up on the back side, ready to go. Made things really easy. Thanks to DWfisk and GTR for their suggestions on this.

At 11 hours she was probing like buttah, but temps were reading low. I said screw it, she's done, and we pulled her off the smoker and moved her to a tray I built from maple last week. The tray rocked for clean up/picking. So glad I did it.

This is the tray. I sealed it with 6 coats of poly and put a drain hole in one corner. Worked great!

And heeeeere's Petunia!

KP, my friend Dennis (brethren gsxr600r) and I picked petunia till she was all skin and bones. I added a home made Carolina style vinegar sauce to the trays of meat and served. Then the three of us stood about the carcass eating belly and cheek meat dipped in the sauce while everyone else ate proper meals.

Doneness and texture was spot on. I think the low temp readings were because we were probing into the empty cavity or something.

Wife made cornbread, Mac and cheese, slaw, and some chocolate chess pie. Kp made some awesome beans. Petunia was a hit!

I know my friend Scott took pics with his camera. I'll post them to this thread when he sends them. The Shirley was a rock star. Ran dead even both sides between 275-300 all day. Petunia got apple smoke and some maple (it was what I had on hand)

Anyone hesitant about doing a hog should give it a shot. It's ridiculously easy. Easier than a brisket, seriously.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Man, that is a fantastic cook, and the cooker looks like it fit perfect. Also digging the tray you built

What a great cook! Cooking a whole hog is at the very top of my list of things I want to cook, I just need to get a bigger pit.

What a great cook! Cooking a whole hog is at the very top of my list of things I want to cook, I just need to get a bigger pit.

Sounds like it's time to get that Shirley! I seem to remember you were thinking pretty seriously about it a while back.. After using KP's, I'm seriously considering getting a bigger trailer version. Hopefully my wife won't divorce me..

Nice looking porker Shag. That is on my list of cooks after I get the Shirley..... T minus 13 days.

Looks like you nailed that pig smoke!! I never done one, but it looked prefect!
Thanks for sharing!

Man, that looks so good! Sweet job on both the cook and the tray.

About the only thing I've never cooked that I wish to is a whole hog. Yours looks fantastic. And you did it in the manner that I would wish to, with friends around.

Back