MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:19 AM   #1
Ariachus
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : David
Question New UDS builder and need some advice

Hey all so I am looking at a 55 gallon uds build and need some advice/explanations.

Is it necessary to have top vents? I mainly ask because I see a number of people here making a big deal out of it and additionally many here and elsewhere endorsing the pit barrel cooker kit which I don't think has any ventilation besides the air vent and a few holes for the hanging racks. Or does that work because it uses the big teardrop vent vs pipe fittings and ball valve?

Can anyone confirm whether or not what is usually called "black pipe" would be safe to use for venting? From what I can see its basically oxidized steel that I think would not be an issue safety wise like galvanized would be and it shaves a bit of costs off copper or brass.

I'm seeing lots of suggestions of using expanded steel and bbq grate for a charcoal basket and I was thinking about using a terra cotta/clay chimney flue. The idea is I think I would get a pretty good combustion efficiency since charcoal would be insulated similar to some of the kamado cookers. I was also thinking about cutting a fan into an aluminum pizza pan similar to the hunsaker vortex baskets.

Thank you all so much! Please let me know any issues you guys ran into especially with using the drum lid vs a webber lid since it seems somewhat uncommon around here. Otherwise I'm planning on a propane torch burnout and taking a no weld approach, no welding skills or friends with welding equipment. Also I've heard some having issues with cleaning red lined barrels and I was thinking of using one that was used for juice concentrate because the guy selling them says their thicker walls and should hold up longer for a uds but they do have a red lining.
Ariachus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2018, 12:30 PM   #2
Pig_Farmer
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Carl

If you have tons of time on your hands this thread will answer any and all questions.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=23436

As far as burning it out, the easiest way that I found was to use a weed burner. I use the drum lid with the exhaust out the top. I have also seen people put the exhaust out the side close yo the top rim. Good luck and don't forget the pics.
[COLOR="Silver"][COLOR="Gray"]Weber Performer[/COLOR][/COLOR], Weber kettle red, Dual Weber Kettle table gold, UDS, [COLOR="DimGray"]East Texas Smoker RK250[/COLOR], Blackstone 36, Blackstone 17, GMG Trek, LSG Large IVC Candy Apple Red W/4WD and a 6.7L Power Stroke :biggrin1:
Pig_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2018, 12:40 PM   #3
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

You've done some reading - you noticed there is no ONE right way to UDS. Many people choose to put their own spin on the design- to use different #/size(s)/styles intakes,#/size of exhaust(s), additional grates, diffusers, basket materials, etc...

I've built 2 or 3- and I've pretty much kept them K.I.S.S. - simple speaks to me.

This is one of the first UDS primers- and it just works. Take the info- modify it any way you like- discard it all together - but this is good starting point. (he does have a welder- you can get around the intakes with black pipe nipples and emt locking nuts- gets you to the same place)

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=43943

Other folk who have customized/personalized their cookers have had great success- but some have had "issues". (not trying to dissuade- do your own thing)

Good luck- pop back in - I just know there will be more Brethren who will fall all over themselves trying to help you out. (we are like that )

Tags
uds build