My UDS Build

Zerikin

Reaction score
Built myself a UDS this weekend. Got a 55 gallon bare steel drum, some expanded metal, and put it all together with an angle grinder and nuts and bolts.

For the grates and the bottom of the fire box I got 3/4" #9 expanded metal from a local shop and cut it to size with my angle grinder (went through and entire cut off disc). I rolled up a 1'x4' piece of the expanded metal and held it together with nuts and bolts for the body of the fire box. Drilled some 1/4" holes for the bolts to support the grates and a 1/2" hole for the thermometer.

The drum body and lid both had 2" bung holes so I decided to use those for the air in my initial run and adjust it from there, if needed. For my first cook I loaded it up with about 6 lbs of lump and 2 pieces of hickory. I spacthcocked and brined 2 5 lb chickens, dried in the fridge, and rubbed with salt and pepper. I lite the charcoal and put the fire box in the drum and it got up to about 375 or the next 30 minutes or so. I brought the air intake down a bit at this point and the temp stabilized. After a bit though it started dropping slowly over the duration of the cook even with the intake wide open. Needed to use more charcoal?

After about 1 hour and 40 minutes the birds were about 150 breast. I flipped them over and let them finish up a bit, the skin didn't get quite as crispy as I would have liked but I didn't have them flipped over for long, was getting hungry and they were at 160ish breast. They were really tasty and super juicy so overall quite pleased with the result. Some corn on the top rack and it took about 45 mins at 275.

1. Any thoughts on declining temps? Just needed to use more charcoal or do I need more air?

2. Flow control for the 2" bung? I tried a magnet sheet but it was too thin and didn't work well. I could try a ball vavle but I'm not sure I'll get enough air flow.

http://imgur.com/a/mVFBh

Thanks. Anybody else? Was hoping for more feedback on my build. Added some pics of the fire box.

Ball valve should be fine especially with the size you got there. I run a single 1 inch and don't have a problem with airflow. I use a pitmaster on it though which kinda forces air. Most people use 2x1 inches. So your 2 inch will be fine especially if you are trying to be in that 225-250 range.

For the hotter temps maybe stay away from lump. You are going to get more temp variations there. Use a briquette and your wood chunks and see if that helps. Once you get stable I'd be surprised if you see a drop off.

The fuel basket needs to be elevated enough off of the bottom of the drum, and above the air intake holes to create a constant flow of air. I utilize stainless bolts, washers and nuts screwed into the basket as legs for elevation. Do not try and change too many variables at once. I would recommend using briquettes until you get the air flow under control.

The fuel basket needs to be elevated enough off of the bottom of the drum, and above the air intake holes to create a constant flow of air. I utilize stainless bolts, washers and nuts screwed into the basket as legs for elevation. Do not try and change too many variables at once. I would recommend using briquettes until you get the air flow under control.

The firebox is 12" high with a grate 2" from the bottom for air, can't really see it in the picture.

Like mentioned, typically the coal basket bottom should be 3 to 4 " up off the bottom of the barrel. Or ash on long cooks will build up and choke out the fire. From your photo, it does not appear you had enough coals to last but a couple hours. HD and harbor freight carry large magnets that should cover your intake hole.
http://www.homedepot.com/s/magnetic+hooks?NCNI-5
Quite a few ways to have cooking and drip pan grates. Depends on your preferences.
My intakes are 1.5" pipe elbows, I like a visual of where I have my opening set and not have to bend over to see where it is set to. And wind/snow does not affect the temps like having a straight opening.

I used 6" carriage bolts as legs, each grate stands on the lower grate. Drip pan grate is supported with 3 bolts thru the side of the drum. Much easier to swap grates during a cook. No tipping required to get past bolts. And you can set each grate down with out the cooking grate touching the ground, just the bolts.

Oh, and do not put your exhaust inline with your intake when setting your lid in place. You can get a lousy burn and temps.

How full was the charcoal basket at the beginning and end of the cook? How long did you let the UDS warm-up and stabilize before you put on the chicken?

I always use a full basket of coals for every cook and let the UDS stabilize prior to putting anything on to cook, normally about 45 min, sometimes longer if I want higher cook temps. When I am done cooking I just close the intake and exhaust and reuse the leftover coals for the next cook, just add to it to top off the basket.

How full was the charcoal basket at the beginning and end of the cook? How long did you let the UDS warm-up and stabilize before you put on the chicken?

I always use a full basket of coals for every cook and let the UDS stabilize prior to putting anything on to cook, normally about 45 min, sometimes longer if I want higher cook temps. When I am done cooking I just close the intake and exhaust and reuse the leftover coals for the next cook, just add to it to top off the basket.

Hmm. I'd say it had it about half full, say 5-6 lbs. I let it warm for a good 30 minutes before I put the birds in. There didn't look to be alot of charcoal left, the picture of the firebox is what was left after the cook. I suspect I just need to fill the box up all the way.

yeah, give it another go with the basket full and see how it handles. It is possible that you started to run low on fuel. A lot of guys on here use lump so I don't think it is that, I prefer KB as it is cheap and easy to find and is very consistent, but you may want to try some briquettes sometime just for a reference. Others even use a mix of the two.

Back