Charcoal Grills for sale, do you think it's worth it?

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
So I know a local fella who is making charcoal grills. I know nothing about welding or the cost of these parts,, so looking g for advice. I am including pictures of the grill. He wants $250 for the grill. Do you think it is worth it? The clearance from coal tray to cooking grate is 10". The dimensions of the cooking grate is 32 1/2" x 20 14/16". What do you think?
8fe2c0bec49e84fce26b61e48b873af9.jpg
5ec343fe08cc9cba1042e40c5df57ecc.jpg
6c57153f20ccb65efe9b3ea96d68c9a9.jpg
aaa6f0ba294fea20700fad86c17f1671.jpg

Sent from my SM-A215U using Tapatalk

I used to travel 495 miles from the High Plains across the Edwards s Plateau, Into the Hill Country to Austin. Winters-Coleman-Brownwood sometimes Abilene-Cross Cut-Cross Plains.
I was always looking at cookers. There were a lot of Barrel cookers. That and offsets kicking thin blue near San Saba.

ATTST- I don’t think that’s too much for a man with the tools, materials and knowledge AND Time—to put it together. Of course how it cooks would be up to you, but betting once you figured it out it would be good eats for many years

I don’t see anywhere that shows the size of the Academy version. When I’ve seen similar designs elsewhere they were smaller (I think) than the ones the OP showed.

30X20 so basically same as a 55 gal drum. I've made a few shop grills from drums over the years. If they sit out in the weather they rust out quick.
There's better grills to choose from in the 250 price range. IMHO

I've seen too many grills made from drums that distort from the high heat to the point that the lid doesn't fit tight.

These may or may not have that issue.

I'd pay $75.00 for one...

Negative.
They are worth exactly $10…
That’s what I give for an empty 55 gal drum around here.

It’s good to make an UDS or a burn barrel.

Worthless as a grill in that configuration though

I agree with most above. I don't think it's unfairly priced. I would just do something else. As Chester said, a used 26 kettle would be more my choice. But I have seen a lot of those around. Never had one

Joedy, just curious, if you bought one of these, what would you be using it for? Barrel construction aside, it's basically a rectangular grill with no way to adjust charcoal basket distance, so not a lot of benefits with this design other than a decent amount of surface cooking area.

A similar amount of cooking space can be had with the Oklahoma Joe Judge:

https://www.oklahomajoes.com/judge-charcoal-grill

With this, you will have the huge benefit of an adjustable charcoal grate, and a front door that will allow you to add wood chunks as you cook. I had a higher end version, a BarBChef product, but no longer in production. It was built like a tank, leaked like a sieve, but it was an amazing cooker for large cuts of beef like Tri-Tip, and chicken as well. I would imagine the Oklahoma Joe version doesn't leak like the BarBChef, which means you could also use it as a smoker for shorter cooks. A comparable higher quality version of the OKJ would be the Mgrills B2, which costs $1800:

https://mgrills.com/collections/our-grills/products/b2

Last edited:
Those are just 55 gallon drums cut in half. The HEBs around here sell them for around $120 in the exact same configuration. Considering the recent rise in prices, I wouldn't feel good paying more than $140 ATM. And if I'm being honest with myself, I would beat myself up over buying one at all since I know that it's going to only last possibly 2 seasons at most before rusting out.

Smitty it's crazy that you post this link because this is the exact grill I've been looking at and made me question the price...great minds think a like!

I don’t see anywhere that shows the size of the Academy version. When I’ve seen similar designs elsewhere they were smaller (I think) than the ones the OP showed.

The Academy grill has 590 sq. inches compared to about 640 on the pictured one.

Joedy, just curious, if you bought one of these, what would you be using it for? Barrel construction aside, it's basically a rectangular grill with no way to adjust charcoal basket distance, so not a lot of benefits with this design other than a decent amount of surface cooking area.

A similar amount of cooking space can be had with the Oklahoma Joe Judge:

https://www.oklahomajoes.com/judge-charcoal-grill

With this, you will have the huge benefit of an adjustable charcoal grate, and a front door that will allow you to add wood chunks as you cook. I had a higher end version, a BarBChef product, but no longer in production. It was built like a tank, leaked like a sieve, but it was an amazing cooker for large cuts of beef like Tri-Tip, and chicken as well. I would imagine the Oklahoma Joe version doesn't leak like the BarBChef, which means you could also use it as a smoker for shorter cooks. A comparable higher quality version of the OKJ would be the Mgrills B2, which costs $1800:

https://mgrills.com/collections/our-grills/products/b2

Moose--I am looking for a larger grill to cook bbq chicken on. I love bbq chicken cooked over direct heat to crisp up skin. If grate is too close then the skin will burn before it crisps up perfectly. I feel like the crispy bbq skin on chicken is the best part of it. My 22" Weber has like 5 1/2" of clearance and sometimes the skin gets burnt. My FIL rectangle grill has 8 1/2" of clearance and cooks it perfect everytime... I know I would buy one like his, but it's an old gas grill that he converted into charcoal.
Any idea on a grill? I love the Assassin's but that's a lot of money to drop (especially after everything has went crazy price wise) to just cook chicken. Thanks for all the advice so far!!!

I’d say a Weber 26” but they have price jumped to $389. :shock:

Ok Joe Judge IF it was $399 or Less instead of $529

https://www.oklahomajoes.com/judge-charcoal-grill?

I’d be pay $300-$400 for a “barrel” grill if made from a propane tank or well tank and had better legs to it.

Too Bad the $399 Old Country Catalina XL grill was discontinued……….

But then Steel prices shot way up since Covid so I may be blowing smoke…….

Last edited:
Moose--I am looking for a larger grill to cook bbq chicken on. I love bbq chicken cooked over direct heat to crisp up skin. If grate is too close then the skin will burn before it crisps up perfectly. I feel like the crispy bbq skin on chicken is the best part of it. My 22" Weber has like 5 1/2" of clearance and sometimes the skin gets burnt. My FIL rectangle grill has 8 1/2" of clearance and cooks it perfect everytime... I know I would buy one like his, but it's an old gas grill that he converted into charcoal.
Any idea on a grill? I love the Assassin's but that's a lot of money to drop (especially after everything has went crazy price wise) to just cook chicken. Thanks for all the advice so far!!!

So what about the OKJ Judge? I'm seeing them on FB Marketplace for $250-275 new. I may pick up one myself.

Hard to beat a Weber 26” with a vortex to cook chicken with. It’s not direct but will crisp up chicken skin perfectly. Can get a lot of chicken on a 26” kettle.

Hard to beat a Weber 26” with a vortex to cook chicken with. It’s not direct but will crisp up chicken skin perfectly. Can get a lot of chicken on a 26” kettle.

I have the vortex for my 22" and it does a pretty good job, but it doesn't come close to touching the skin when cooking over direct coals for it's entirety.

Blasphemous, I know. But my CharBroil Big Easy is the bomb when it comes to chicken and crispy skin. I have an Assassin and I still pull this baby out for chicken.

Thanks for posting this Andy....sure does look like it has cooked up some chicken for William.

Blasphemous, I know. But my CharBroil Big Easy is the bomb when it comes to chicken and crispy skin. I have an Assassin and I still pull this baby out for chicken.

Jeffry, my FIL purchased one of these a couple years back. Does the chicken come out more with a fried taste than a grilled on? Thanks for the idea.

Back