MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-21-2020, 07:33 AM   #256
darita
is One Chatty Farker

I think those that have concerns about the firebox burning thru past the firebricks, have purchased the aftermarket 12ga. stainless sleeve fix. I wasn't worried about it at first, but since reading so much about it, I bought one for peace of mind. Even if MB did do something like this, I can't see them doing anything this beefy, so it was worth it to me.
If you have reservations, then you should wait. There will always be issues and changes to products and most time, it results in better machines, but also more expensive ones.
Early adopters always go thru this kinda stuff. My first iPhone was nothing like the one I have now, but basically, it's the same. It also cost a lot more $.

Old 06-21-2020, 11:02 AM   #257
Clay-b-que
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by darita View Post
I think those that have concerns about the firebox burning thru past the firebricks, have purchased the aftermarket 12ga. stainless sleeve fix. I wasn't worried about it at first, but since reading so much about it, I bought one for peace of mind. Even if MB did do something like this, I can't see them doing anything this beefy, so it was worth it to me.
If you have reservations, then you should wait. There will always be issues and changes to products and most time, it results in better machines, but also more expensive ones.
Early adopters always go thru this kinda stuff. My first iPhone was nothing like the one I have now, but basically, it's the same. It also cost a lot more $.
Where did you get the aftermarket sleeve fix part?

Old 06-21-2020, 01:32 PM   #258
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay-b-que View Post
Where did you get the aftermarket sleeve fix part?
https://lss-mods.square.site
I got the firebox, manifold and rear vent mods. He's quick to deliver as well.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-21-2020, 04:06 PM   #259
rexster314
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike243 View Post
I was wanting 1 of these bad but, until they fix the feed chute problem I wont buy 1, looked into 1 yesterday and the bottom looked to be stainless or just polished steel, didn't have my flashlight with me to look closer. like to have the 1 they been selling at academy in Tx but to far lol .

The bottom of the firebox is plain, unfinished steel plating.

Old 06-28-2020, 12:20 PM   #260
ciret
Full Fledged Farker

I posted this on the Weber SF vs MB 1050 thread and thought of put it here too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciret View Post
Just got a MB 560 yesterday (Sat 06/27). Took a leisurely 2 1/2 hours to put it together—they said 1:45 with a helper—so figure I did alright. Did the burn in and seasoning yesterday. Just put a 11 lb brisket on at 1130.

MB temp started at 225, but my probe was reading 190, so pushed temp up to 250, still at 190. MB chamber/control probe is on far left, mine is the right hand one in photo, just right of center below grate. Meat probes are matching temps.
Used Kingsford Pro briquettes with Kentucky bourbon barrel chunks mixed in the charcoal hopper. Put some HD fill in the exhaust vent, as folks have said it’ll burn lots of charcoal on low and slow cooks.
I’m hoping for a set and forget cooker, coming from a Brinkman SKD with a couple mods to a UDS I built. The BSKD was/is a tending nightmare. The UDS is pretty darn good, I’ve used it enough that I can dial it in and leave it. But if the wind changes the temps change. Hoping the MB 560 will cure that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m happy so far, ha ha 1 day [emoji41]
I'm not expecting it to last forever, just hoping it will sit my current needs. They're do seem to be a lot of folks turning out good food.

Modded Brinkmann Smoke King Deluxe, UDS, Brinkman gasser

A health family, a healthy country, a healthy world -- all grow outward from a single superior person.
Chia Jen/The Clan --I Ching
ciret is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2020, 07:28 PM   #261
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : A man named Lynn

Here's a question ..........

Why is this Masterbuilt gravity feed preferable over a WSM with an ATC ?

What can the gravity feed do, that the WSM/ATC can't ?
Lynn Dollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2020, 01:17 AM   #262
ciret
Full Fledged Farker

My reasoning went like this;
MB 560 is one unit that will sear, grill, and go low & slow automatically. 560 sq in cooking area. One purchase, one assembly, $500.
WSM 22” is $440 (380 sq in) plus the ATC and that install/assembly. Don’t think it works well as a grill.
I had an old BKSD, couple old gassers, couple 22” Weber’s and a UDS. All but the UDS need work. Pre-pandemic I travelled weekly for work, leaving only the weekend for honey do’s, yard and house maintenenace, etc. The Weber Smoke Fire was my initial pick, it was supposed to do it all and get to a decent seat temp, which other pellet poopers don’t do a god job of. When I then saw the MB 560 it seemed like a good fit, especially after the reported WSF problems. I’ll keep the UDS because I built it and it doesn’t need any work the others are going to the curb.

A health family, a healthy country, a healthy world -- all grow outward from a single superior person.

Old 06-29-2020, 06:50 AM   #263
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

So the MB can grill.

Who doesn't own a Kettle ? I have no desire to replace my Kettle as a grill. Its the workhorse of my patio.

I can add an ATC to my 18 WSM for a lot less money than the GF and get set-forget cooker when I need it.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:16 AM   #264
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Dollar View Post
Here's a question ..........

Why is this Masterbuilt gravity feed preferable over a WSM with an ATC ?

What can the gravity feed do, that the WSM/ATC can't ?
If the WSM had this attachment would it come up to temp as fast as a PG or the MBGF?
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4[/B][/COLOR]
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2020, 07:16 AM   #265
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Yes...the MB can grill.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:55 AM   #266
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHeatBBQnSC View Post
If the WSM had this attachment would it come up to temp as fast as a PG or the MBGF?
Speed of getting up to temp, is not an issue for me in reverse searing. I only use 13 briquettes in my Kettle and it runs about 210 to 220.

When the IT of my steaks hits 80* I light a chimney of lump. By the time my steak hits 110, the lump is ready to go.

And even if the lump were not ready, it doesn't hurt to rest the steak before searing. In his steak book, Aaron Franklin recommends resting the steak 30 minutes, which I don't think is necessary and maybe a bit over kill. But there's no need being in a race to get it done.

Old 06-29-2020, 05:57 PM   #267
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

I did not intend to run everyone off

I'm just playin Devils Advocate here cuz I'm seriously considering buying a MB 560.

But ......... an ATC on my 18 WSM would be about half the price. I was hoping to hear reasons for spending another $250 .

Old 06-29-2020, 06:53 PM   #268
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Dollar View Post
I did not intend to run everyone off

I'm just playin Devils Advocate here cuz I'm seriously considering buying a MB 560.

But ......... an ATC on my 18 WSM would be about half the price. I was hoping to hear reasons for spending another $250 .
OK...I'll bite...the reason I got one, was the ability of the 560 to go from 275 to 450 in a minute or two, then come back down just as quickly and with charcoal and wood. My MAK can't do that. My Primo can't do that. My WSM can't do that. Now that I have one, I've been cooking the best chicken I've ever cooked, on any of my smokers. Now, is the 560 the be all to end all? Don't know...only time will tell. Till then, I'm really having fun with it. It was certainly priced low enough for me to feel comfortable taking the chance.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-30-2020, 02:05 AM   #269
ciret
Full Fledged Farker

My quick look into ATC a Fireboard setup looks about $280 and a 22" WSM $440. The MB 560 is pretty much a do it all, I haven't tried it all yet, but it's looking that way. Low and slow to hot and fast.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:32 PM   #270
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

I've done some internet searching on ATC's for WSM's ........... and those are not as simple as they appear. Looks to me like they have to be fiddled with as much as manually adjusting he vents. I think I'd rather own a unit that engineers have already fine tuned.

This forum at the link may not be representative of user's experience, because those posting here are having problems and there may be many more people who have no difficulties, but anyway

https://tvwbb.com/forums/automatic-t...l-systems.107/