Oak or Apple (other?) for a brisket & pork cook?

Chuckabadger

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I'm loading up my Backwoods Party with a couple brisket and a couple pork butts for our Fleet Week party this weekend. I usually use oak for my brisket and apple for my pork. What should I do when I smoke both at the same time?!?

Thanks,
Chuck

I almost always mix apple and oak, or pecan and oak, but, you didn't mention pecan as an option, pecan and apple would work as well, as would pecan, oak and apple

Both if thats all you have available.
I prefer hickory and apple.

Got any hickory? Hickory is good on both beef and pork.

If not, just do a mix of oak and apple. It will be fine.

I'll actually re-vote with Ron. Hickory is my personal favorite for both, I just assumed you meant one or both of the two you mentioned.

The oak and apple mix will work fine. My personal go to would be straight pecan if it was available.

Given a blank slate, I'd go with pecan and cherry mixed or just pecan like qman mentioned.

With what you've got, though, I suppose a little oak with a good bit of apple wood. Personally, I'm not a big fan of oak, but I know it is in good favor with a lot of people.

I cooked a brisket and 2 butts a few weeks ago, used both oak and apple, turned out great.

If I had a hunk of hickory or mesquite I'd throw it in during the first 2 hours.

Doesn't really matter. I'd do half and half if you already have both. Pork is great with apple and still really good with oak, and oak is the popular choice for brisket but I made an amazing brisket last weekend with just apple. Does not really matter all that much, maybe a 5% flavor difference. But a mix would be really nice.

last sat I had planned on using my stick burner for a 15 lbs. brisket but in the morning I felt lazy and put it in my egg the only wood I had that would fit was apple and it was to early to start my saw. it turned out great.... to be honest I forgot it was apple til now.

I would say 25% oak and 75% apple, due to the lighter flavor profile of apple. Plus, apple is my favorite so far, but I haven't had Pecan yet.

I have apple , pecan , hickory , cherry and oak but it is all great . just experiment and keep a log of your cooks to reference in the future what you liked and what others thought .

We all have different tastes and have our personal favorites. But with that said, you can never go wrong oak. Its about as a all around wood as it gets. Its the wood of choice for the Brisket Gods. Who are we to question the Gods:twitch:

Use what you got, i went the whole summer and didn't use oak or hickory one time and barely any apple, I just didn't have any. I used lots of beech and mulberry and everything turned out great.

I use pecan for both, but oak is pretty common for brisket and the butts will taste good with anything.

Back