Fuel source

normnutman

Reaction score
Hi all. Total newbie to the BBQ scene and looking forward to learning the smoked arts! I have been researching this, but can't seem to find a solid answer.

My set up (in process) - double barrel smoker, dual dampers from bottom barrel with dampened smoke stacks.

If for example, I want to cook ribs with hickory (non specific for this example), when I build my fire, do you use the wood you are using for smoke as the base for the heat, or do you tend to use something more plentiful to the area, like oak for me, or charcoal for the heat and then add the hickory as needed for smoke?

Thanks in advance for the help and not flaming me for such a newbie question.

Why did you decide on a double barrel smoker?

If you ran a UDS you can use Charcoal for main fuel and heat and run whatever type wood chunks you want for smoke. You can get wood chunks from a variety of sources including mail order and a UDS is much more efficient.

I can't tell much difference in wood smoke except Hickory is a lil stronger and Mesquite is real strong and can get bitter. I use Oak and/or Hickory mostly.

Whatever you use buy a lot as the double barrel is a known fuel hog. Nothing wrong with straight red oak as it's my go to for everything.

Good luck with the big baby or big sky whichever design you picked.

I chose the double barrel because I read some good things and it seemed like a fun build. Like I said, a newbie so I expect to make plenty of mistakes along the way. I will check out the UDS as a reference, thanks.

From what I read, charcoal is probably not sufficient for the big baby so more wood. I am guessing it would be wise to use red oak as the fuel source. My concern would be to use hickory or apple or whatever rather than a plentiful variety (to me) like red oak, as the fuel source. Or the concern of say I was cooking chicken and wanted apple for the smoke flavor, but mixing it with oak and mixing smoke flavors unintentionally.

Is it safe to say once the flames are gone and it's smoldering, there is no real difference to wood used or is that blasphemy?

Back