THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

G

grillsforpassion

Has anyone cleaned a used oil tank into a grill? just wondering if it makes sense and if there is a safe way to do it.

What kind of oil? People have used fuel oil tanks often. they need a good burn and cleaning/seasoning. a good hot burn should make it ok.

If you are talking about using a 275 gallon oil tank for a direct heat charcoal grilling application, It can be done but some frame work and welding will be required. If you are talking about using a 55 gallon barrel for the same situation, I've seen some people making these with success with simple garage tools and no welding. search here or google "texas grill" and you should see some really simple builds there.

This is a customer build

25465_416361040870_323678455870_5769378_2864769_n.jpg

25465_416361045870_323678455870_5769379_5877174_n.jpg

What kind of oil? People have used fuel oil tanks often. they need a good burn and cleaning/seasoning. a good hot burn should make it ok.

It is regular deliverable fuel oil (#2?) Its the 200 gallon one from my basement. I'm taking it out this weekend and plan on cutting it in 1/2 with a sawz-all.

We made a tank from a 120 gal propane tank. Filled it with water let it sit over night next day we cut the doors with an angle grinder with cutoff wheels. The angle grinder makes a nice clean narrow cut. We have cut more then 3 this way and still have all our fingers and toes. My pucker factor does go up some on the first cut. A guy in our hometown was cutting a huge fuel tank last year and he heard it making a funny noise got in his truck and drove away, the tank exploded some people heard it more then 7 miles away it broke windows a quarter mile away..

My neighbors already think I am insane for ALWAYS having some sort of fire burning at my house. I don't think an exploding oil tank would go over well!!

Angle grinders and sawzalls make sparks and can lead to explosions as well. If you do a google search for cutting oil tanks, there are plenty of examples of this happening.

Fill it once about half full with water, add a little Dawn, rock it a couple times and then empty it out, you will have no trouble cutting it anyway you want to. Before I made the 500 gal that I have (which is also an old oil tank) I was using 275's. I was getting about 3-4 yrs from one before the bottom would rot out and I'd make another.

Thanks for the advice and tips. FISHHOOK, could you attach any pictures. I'd like to see how you did such a big tank and get some ideas. Thanks

It is regular deliverable fuel oil (#2?) Its the 200 gallon one from my basement. I'm taking it out this weekend and plan on cutting it in 1/2 with a sawz-all.

I helped a brother-in-law cut a fuel oil tank in half, to build a large grill.
We burned it out good before the build. I showed him how to season it, and it turned out very good.
He uses it to BBQ for kids sports teams.

Last edited:
Back