Fireboard? Meater?

Frank Mahovlich

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey y'all, hope everyone is hanging in there during this weird time. Remains to be seen if I will contract COVID-19, but there is zero doubt I have packed on the Quarantine-15.

Now that it's finally getting back to 'Q season in Minnesota, I'm looking to up my thermometer game. I have a Thermoworks Smoke, and it wasn't great for me. Temp probes way too unreliable, bad luck getting the Gateway to work. So I'm moving on from them.

I'm looking for a multi-probe (Up to 4 would be nice) thermo with bluetooth and a user-friendly app. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Stay safe y'all,
FM

I have the fireboard. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I upgraded to it, from the Smoke.

I love the app, the data logging, and the features it offers. Getting a SMS alert at the dog park that I need to get back to start checking on my butts, was handy. Getting alerts that my smoker is way below set temp, is handy.

I dislike the display, the fact that it feels like it's made from a hobby kit, that the weather case is EXPENSIVE and obnoxious to use, and that the probes are super thick.

I think the Thermoworks product looks/feels better, like a commercial kitchen appliance. The Fireboard feels like a tech guys attempted at making kitchen toys.

I love my fire board. It has functioned flawlessly in every way and they continue adding features and updating firmware to accommodate. I have the drive cable as well which a great all in one unit. I can do a rib cook with just the internal battery powering everything. I like not having to worry about an outlet. If I’m doing a longer cook a usb power bank fills the gap.

It might look simple but the goods lie in the great software

Last edited:
I have both, the maverick Xr 50 and a FireBoard. I had the maverick first. What really annoyed me was that a probe came to me about 50 degrees off. Maverick replaced it but I had to pay the shipping to send them the broken one. A few cooks later, another probe stopped. Same thing, they replaced, but I had to pay the shipping.

I got irritated so I bought the FireBoard. Works very well, no problems with over it or the probes In over 50 cooks. The battery will easily last a full brisket cook. The app is easy to use, you can check temps anywhere with FireBoard connected to your homes WiFi.

I don’t work for FireBoard or get anything from them. I just really like the unit. Only downside, it’s farking expensive

+ 1 on the FireBoard.

Really like it. I understand some of the complaints about the case but it function better than I could ask for. I would purchase again in a heartbeat.

Fireboard is great. If you will be using it to control your cooker temperature you will have to adjust the settings a bit as well as dampers. Mine tends to overshoot if I dont. I have about 40 cooks with mine and it's well worth the money.

Another vote for the Fireboard. I have the Smoke and the Fireboard. The Smoke aggravations are what prompted me to get a Fireboard and I am glad that I did. Also, the Fireboard cable and PitViper fan work flawlessly to control the temp on the Green Egg and the PK 360 for indirect.

Another vote for the Fireboard and Drive cable. I use it to control my Masterbuilt 560 and it works flawlessly. The graph that it produces shows a temp range that looks like a flatliner EKG

I used to buy a fancy wireless thermometer every year. Started with Maverick, then bluetooth iGrill, then thermoworks Bluetooth duo, then newer maverick, then finally the Fireboard. I’ve had the fireboard for over a year and have no desire to replace it. All probes still work, and the thermometer and app just work. No futzing. Also the company has great support, and they add new features to the app from time to time. For example they just added the ability to add photos to cooks and slightly improved how to add notes. I also got the drive add on, which is great with my Akorn. I highly recommend.

I dislike the display, the fact that it feels like it's made from a hobby kit, that the weather case is EXPENSIVE and obnoxious to use, and that the probes are super thick.

I use a ziplock bag it the weather is wet.

All probes still work, and the thermometer and app just work.

I think my chamber probes have been left outside in the chamber since I got the fireboard, through two winters....

Another thing I did to avoid their, to me, overpriced case was I bought a small pelican case, cut a slot in it and glued magnets to the bottom. Cost me less then $15.00. Not $50 Not 100% waterproof as it’s open on the bottom. But it works

Attachments

• CECFA30C-17AF-4325-8999-115E6313A40C.jpeg
    CECFA30C-17AF-4325-8999-115E6313A40C.jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 170C5BF6-647B-4A7F-8D60-0960D0FE18CC.jpeg
    170C5BF6-647B-4A7F-8D60-0960D0FE18CC.jpeg
    31.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 373D5CD2-3248-4951-8282-C61895C9E249.jpeg
    373D5CD2-3248-4951-8282-C61895C9E249.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 114
Dang, has the Fireboard replaced the Guru as the go-to?

Here's a link to my album that shows my Fireboard add-ons.
I glued the rare earth magnets directly on the Fireboard case. The magnets don't interfere with the WiFi hookup and provide different mounting options.

The other pictures depict how I use the Fireboard with a rotisserie rig.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=1206

Your link isn’t working. I would like to see how your rotisserie is set up

Yes, I had looked at other cases and the ziplock routine. For the money spent on the system, neither of those would have made me happy. That's buying a Mercedes and getting new wheels from WalMart.

Sorry, $55 for a tiny plastic case is crazy to me regardless of how much the firebird cost.
I put it in a ziplock bag under my smoker. I'm generally not looking at the unit during a cook.
I'm monitoring it on my phone or laptop.

From left field: HeaterMeter. 4 temp probes, also incorporates a controller with a fan interface. You have to be a bit of a geek but the designer is now selling completed kits so you don't actually have to build it (which I did).

It will function as a WAP and support its own WiFi network or as a DHCP client on whatever network you have. More here and other places at heatermeter.com: https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter/wiki/LinkMeter-Home

Back