woven wire source

workingdog

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I'm looking to use woven wire for the grilling surface on my new Santa Maria, but i'm having a hard time finding a source - does anyone know of a good source?

Not sure about the woven wire? Are you sure you're not talking about expanded steel? A lot of BBQ grates are made of expanded steel. If you have a steel supplier nearby you should be able to get it there.

Not entirely clear what that is, but.

If you haven't already looked up around Petaluma, Maselli's is a good and slightly wacky resource, and DW Wire Cloth has various mesh products

#9 or 3/4" flat expanded metal - check local metal supply houses

Speedymetals.com

And you're looking for expanded metal. I ordered some stuff from them monday and had it at my door yesterday. Or if you have a metal supply place near by that's prefered, or Tactor supply, HD, Lowes, hardware stores.

The first link - woven wire.

Maselli's has small bits and pieces (we bought one for the smoker shevles) but nothing large enough for the main 2x4 grilling surface.

I had found direct metals, but I can't fire out how to order from there. Reliable says they can get full sheets for like $500.

Yes, it's very hard to visualize. I second the question. what size.
And yes, stainless

And - McMaster-Carr!!! why didn't I think of that. Thank you.

And that's what they guys at reliable said, $500 for a 4x4 sheet - ouch!!!

I'm assuming you use 1x1x0.12 (1/8").
It doesn't seem like they have anything heavier

What size mesh are you buying. Hard to visualize from the catalog

Thanks,

Robert

For a Santa Maria, I'd probably go for 1.3x1.3 or 2x2, but I prefer a little smaller mesh opening size. I usually draw out a 6"x6" square and start out with 1x1 pattern, then 2x2, 3x3. Crude, but it gives me a better idea of overall opening size. I keep a 12"x12" piece of 3x3 around for grilling vegetables.

One of the scrap yards here has tons of it. It's shaker screens from the production of gravel.

picture.php

Last edited:
Ya, my local industrial scrap hard had one smaller piece. Here they have restaurant and winery and shipping equipment. Not much on the gravel production.

I had woven wire grate at one point, but not my favorite because it was so heard to clean because food would get wedged in the crevices.

So, the McMaster Car woven wire only goes up to 1 mesh (1 inch per opening) and 1/8" wire. I want to go heaver than that and am having a very hard time finding it.

Be careful you don't get zinc plated, aka galvanized.

Nobody's first choice, but if that's all you got, you can just burn that crap off from a distance. Particularly for firebox grates, it's all gone in a few minutes

See if you have a Metal Supermarket near you. Or any steel yards open to the public. You should have no problem.

Back