MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-29-2018, 10:02 AM   #1
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Makin' bacon

I decided to try my hand at making some bacon using a pork belly I picked up from Costco. The belly was about 10lbs, and I used about 2/3 of it on two different cure recipes. I'm a big fan of the thick sliced cured Kirkland brand bacon that Costco sells for just slightly more than raw pork belly, so I told myself it'd have to turn out pretty tasty to justify the time and effort over read-to-eat bacon. After eating a few slices I can indeed confirm the time and effort was worth it and I'll be doing this again in the future . I wanted to smoke it on the Shirley but it just wasn't in the cards this weekend and it needed to be cooked. I'm happy with how it turned out on the Primo with some hickory and cherrry, but I think a wood fire in the stick burner would take it up another notch. I got three 1lb packs of slices, another 1.5lbs I'm keeping in the fridge to eat this week, and a half bound of cubed ends I'm saving for some future recipe, ought to have a lot of flavor being on the outside edge.

Old 07-29-2018, 10:14 AM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks great......
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2018, 10:40 AM   #3
Stingerhook
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marty

Nice looking bacon.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2018, 10:40 AM   #4
azken
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks great..would you share (1) temp of the grill (2) temp of the finished product..thanks. I ask because this is one of two things I want to do..the other is make jerky..all on the grill.
azken is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2018, 10:46 AM   #5
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Smoker was running around 220 to 225 degrees and I pulled the belly when it hit 165 degrees.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-29-2018, 03:08 PM   #6
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Mojo

I need to try bacon sometime and yours looks great .

Luke's Firepits / Grill

Lone Star Grillz Mini Insulated Cabinet Smoker
BBQ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2018, 03:28 PM   #7
tarheelsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

I have been wanting to try this for a long time. Got to get going. That looks fantastic!

Old 07-29-2018, 09:43 PM   #8
Eads Ranch
Full Fledged Farker

Looks great. Costco has nice lean pork bellys compared to my local HEB.
http://aekellerfoundation.org
Eads Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2018, 09:48 PM   #9
Smoke on Badger Mountain
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Josh

Looks great! Love making bacon.

24"x52" Custom Offset, Black 22" Weber Kettle , Deep Ocean Blue 22' Weber Kettle, Camp Chef 2 burner w/ griddle. Char-Broil Table Top gas Grill, One very ugly drum, Nice drum coming soon.
Instagram @lumberjacksmokestack
https://www.youtube.com/c/LumberjackSmokestack
Smoke on Badger Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote