MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #91
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

I know there are some who use a Rotisserie. Here is a link from Weber.
Sage, Orange, and Clove Rotisserie Turkey
http://www.weber.com/grillout/recipe...isserie-turkey

Old 11-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #92
Grizzly6
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
You know....I've never spatched a turkey. I have always opted NOT to do this because of the presentation factor for the holidays and all. I brined a bird yesterday and I think I'll spatchcock it for today's cook just for chits and giggles!
So... how did it turn out?
DUCAN Affinity - gasser
Mini UDS (For the 12 yr old of course)
Extreme amounts of awesome to assist
12 yr old who loves to cook, and an 9 yr old who is
getting interested
Grizzly6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #93
dadsr4

This one should be mentioned.
Simple Barbecued Turkey from PatioDaddio

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=95022

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #94
basuraman
Full Fledged Farker

My dad just asked me to smoke the turkey for Thanksgiving this year. Time to research..

Old 11-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #95
dadsr4

Webers instructions on cooking a turkey on a kettle. There is included a different way, at least to me, to brine. It uses a cooler and compensates for not having the right size container

How to Barbecue a turkey
Excerpt from Weber’s Charcoal Grilling: The art of cooking with live fire
http://c501793.r93.cf2.rackcdn.com/Barbecue-Turkey.pdf

Old 11-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #96
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly6 View Post
So... how did it turn out?

Meh.....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=147251

Old 11-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #97
thoraudio
On the road to being a farker

I'll be doing two this year, on the Big Easy. "It's gas, not que... blah blah", it makes a darn fine bird.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #98
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

For the last 4 years I do two turkeys on the kettles. A few techniques that I find helpful.

1) Brine: I start brining the morning before and then pull the birds out and rinse thoroughly on Weds. evening. They then go into the fridge uncovered overnight. This not only lets the brine to distribute evenly but also dries the skin which leads to a nice crispy skinned bird.

2) Aromatics: I stuff the cavities, both rear and the neck cavity, with lemon, onion, garlic, parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. It imparts a really wonderful flavor to the breast meat.

3) Butter, butter and more butter!: I mix up a compound butter using unsalted butter and some fresh parsley, thyme and rosemary. I let this soften and then smear it liberally under the skin all over the bird, including down on the thighs which you can reach with a little work. I then smear it all over the outside of the skin as well. Nothing goes together better than poultry skin and butter. Not only does it add flavor but also helps with browning and crisping.

4) Grill set-up: I fill two chimney baskets as full as possible with lit briquettes and set them on either side of the kettle as far aparts as possible I will then add 1 small chunk of wood to each. I use a small amount of wood as I don't like a heavy smoke flavor in my turkey, just enough to let my guests know that it was grilled. I then rest a drip pan between the two baskets, I have a pan that has a lip that can rest steadily right on the front edge of each charcoal basket so that it sits elevated above the charcoal grate and just below that cooking great.

I run the kettles WFO and try to get the highest temp possible, I've never taken a grate temp, but I would guess that I'm running in the 375-400 range. I'll add another 6-7 briqs to each side about halfway through cooking.

5) Breast side down!: I start my birds breast side down and then flip it over about 45 minutes in. This is a bit unconventional, but it serves 2 purposes.
a) It allows the entire bird to brown, you don't get a soggy bottom and pale thighs and because the bottom is nice and brown it increases the amount of skin available for serving.
b) As the bird starts to cook the juices run down into the breast. I don't know if there is any scientific basis for this, but I read about it somewhere a long time ago, decided to try it and have always been very pleased with the results

Onto the grill

After the flip

The birds are usually done around 3hrs, then come off and rest until everything else is ready which could be anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour.

[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #99
Wampus

^^^^ HELLUVA post! ^^^^

Old 11-09-2012, 03:40 AM   #100
malibulvr
On the road to being a farker

I told the wife that I would do a bird on the Weber this year, she will still roast one in the oven just in case, LOL. I will probably only do a 12 pounder, brine the night before, rub with butter herb and stuff with garlic, apples, etc. Hopefully everything will go well.

Does anyone cover the bird with foil to keep the skin from burning or shouldn't I worry about that? I do want a nice crisp skin but don't want to overdue it.
malibulvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #101
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibulvr View Post
Does anyone cover the bird with foil to keep the skin from burning or shouldn't I worry about that? I do want a nice crisp skin but don't want to overdue it.
If youve got it over indirect heat you shouldn't have to worry about foiling it. I've done a dozen or so turkeys on the kettle and never had any black skin.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #102
seadad9903
Full Fledged Farker

i have two 12 pounders reserved from a local butcher. going to do one on the WSM and the other is going to go on the brinkmann, found a recipe for braised turkey that sounded pretty good.

that'll leave the oven/stove free for mom and The Woman to fix the rest of the stuff.
seadad9903 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #103
swamprb

Well, nobody has really touched on brining containers, so I'll jump on the Turkey Train!

I used to brine turkeys in a Food grade frosting bucket then a Rubbermade cooler, but it wouldn't fit in the garage fridge, so I had to drag out the coffin cooler and keep it on ice, and then use a plate weighted down with a bag of ice to keep the bird(s) submerged in the brine.

While searching for brine recipes, I came across this, The Briner http://www.thebriner.com/

It fits in my refer (2 of them will) and it has a locking disc to keep the meats submerged in the brine and a tight fitting lid.

I've had four 5 lb. whole chickens, using 1 gallon of brine and it took up less than half of The Briner.

So, I've been itching to get some Turkey's bathing in the Briner, but so far the only ones in the stores are Butterballs and injected birds.

I usually cook 12-15 lb turkeys and the Briner can easily hold 2 with room to spare.

A Cambro container and lid the same size is comparably the same price, but it does not have the locking disc, so I found the Briner to be a better deal for me in the long run.

When the day of turkey reckoning comes, I will baptize them and take pics!

That Rubbermade cooler became a hand wash station and the Briner reigns supreme!

What are you using? Show your stuff!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #104
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Turkey is like any other meat.
There are a Jillion recipes/techniques/methods available in the modern age of the WWW. Many times they just serve to confuse the situation, not help it.
Almost all of them will work--just depends on what you like for the results.
Unfortunately, many people try to find the "perfect" recipe and there is "no such animal" in spite of what some claim.

Poultry cooks just need to learn and use the "basics" and they will be fine.
For me, I brine unless it is a factory enhanced bird (and they cook up just fine), season with something simple like Salt/Pepper/Garlic/??, put it on the cooker somewhere between 275-375, and cook it till it is a minimum of 160-165. Tent till time to carve, eat, enjoy, move on to desert.
But, there are many, many variations I have used in the past and they worked well.

No magic VooDoo about cooking a bird.

For those that like video instruction for tips/techniques, YouTube alone has a plethora of videos.
These all have the meat as the star and show the wide range of techniques that produce a good product. The quality ranges from good to excellent, IMHO.
--------------
AJ brined bird on BGE:

“Bourbon” smoked turkey from HEB:

Cooked on a Yoder Pellet smoker/grill using ramped up temp profile:

From Kevin Bevington (HomeBBQ.com). Kevin is a documented BBQ God with a history of Chanpionship cooking. And a really decent human being.

On a WSM at 300-310 deg:

On a WSM at 350 +:

On a UDS at 250 ish :

Lots more if you poke around.

It is all GOOD EATS

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #105
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
Well, nobody has really touched on brining containers, so I'll jump on the Turkey Train!

I used to brine turkeys in a Food grade frosting bucket then a Rubbermade cooler, but it wouldn't fit in the garage fridge, so I had to drag out the coffin cooler and keep it on ice, and then use a plate weighted down with a bag of ice to keep the bird(s) submerged in the brine.

While searching for brine recipes, I came across this, The Briner http://www.thebriner.com/

It fits in my refer (2 of them will) and it has a locking disc to keep the meats submerged in the brine and a tight fitting lid.

I've had four 5 lb. whole chickens, using 1 gallon of brine and it took up less than half of The Briner.

So, I've been itching to get some Turkey's bathing in the Briner, but so far the only ones in the stores are Butterballs and injected birds.

I usually cook 12-15 lb turkeys and the Briner can easily hold 2 with room to spare.

A Cambro container and lid the same size is comparably the same price, but it does not have the locking disc, so I found the Briner to be a better deal for me in the long run.

When the day of turkey reckoning comes, I will baptize them and take pics!

That Rubbermade cooler became a hand wash station and the Briner reigns supreme!

What are you using? Show your stuff!

That thing's AWESOME! I'm gonna have to pick one up.

I usually just use a couple of big stock pots that I have.

IMG_6241.jpg
The one on the left is a 16 qt aluminum and the one on the right is a 20 qt Stainless Steel. Last weekend, a 12 lb turkey fit in the SS pot just fine with 2 gallons of brine and about 3" to spare at the top.

I've also used a 5 gallon bucket, lined with about 3 trash bags (bucket was washed clean, but I wouldn't have called it STERILE). I have a garage fridge that I put all my meats in after prepping/brining, etc. The floor of the fridge has the most room and would hold that thing perfectly.

I've had need this summer a couple of times to brine 10, 12 and even 16 birds at once and when I did, brining was a CHORE. I can really see the use of the Briner. How big is it?

Thanks for posting that!