MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:10 AM   #16
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by INmitch View Post
I get whole packers shipped in. I cook only the flat in comps.

Buy the way I grind the best danm hamburger around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
I've been a convert to the high heat, flat only camp over the last 2 years. I was somewhat skeptical at first, but our results have been amazing. In 4 comps out here we've managed 3rd, 2nd, 2nd, 1st. Doubt I'll be going back to whole packers any time soon.

Like INmitch, I buy the whole packers and turn the point into burger.
Really? I'm also a convert to H&F brisket and cook whole 12#-15# packers. IMHO brisket point, when done right, is the best beef you can get out of a smoker, period! I don't doubt it would make great burgers but given the choice of a good burger or brisket point fresh out of the cooker, I'll go with the brisket point every time! Just my $0.02.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #17
jmoney7269
Banned

i also agree that brisket point when done right @300+ is the best part of the brisket. when we do comps that dont want consectutive slices, we turn in the flat and point and let the judge decide what they want. we have cooked a flat to the point of shredding, so we had to turn in the point, and we won. chit happens and luck prevails sometimes.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #18
Dragline
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
back in the day when he wrote that, it seemed there's a lot more people back then that just cooked the flats and not whole packers.

(meeeeeemoooorriiiiiieeeeeessssssss..... like the corners of my miiiiiinnndd........ ok, I'm a bad singer)
Thank God you realized that Podge
Dragline is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #19
INmitch
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
Really? I'm also a convert to H&F brisket and cook whole 12#-15# packers. IMHO brisket point, when done right, is the best beef you can get out of a smoker, period! I don't doubt it would make great burgers but given the choice of a good burger or brisket point fresh out of the cooker, I'll go with the brisket point every time! Just my $0.02.
Two years ago when I quit putting in burnt ends in the box my scores went way up and I was a lot more consistent. As far as cooking the point at home........not at my house. I can't stand to eat brisket. I don't even taste it at comps. My wife tells me which one to put in the box.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #20
AbleAcresBBQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Two years ago when I quit putting in burnt ends in the box my scores went way up and I was a lot more consistent. As far as cooking the point at home........not at my house. I can't stand to eat brisket. I don't even taste it at comps. My wife tells me which one to put in the box.
If your wife can't make it to a contest just send a few slices our way and we'll pick for you!

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #21
Smoke&HoneyBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
I took your advice and skipped burnt ends last week. Night and day improvement in score. Definitely not doing them again....well still doing them for handing out and snacking but seriously doubt they will ever go into a box.
Smoke&HoneyBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #22
Smoke&HoneyBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
I took your advice and skipped burnt ends last week. Night and day improvement in score. Definitely not doing them again....well still doing them for handing out and snacking but seriously doubt they will ever go into a box.
Smoke&HoneyBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #23
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookiedad View Post
lets not call them burnt ends anymore! burnt ends are the BURNT ENDS of the flat. competition burnt ends are, and should be called carmelized point cubes. that is what they are! i think they are the thighs of the brisket catagory. if you turned in real burnt ends i wonder what the result would be.
<nit mode>
Fixed your post. Deckle is found on the underside of the flat. There is no deckle on a #120 packer.
</nit mode>
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #24
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
<nit mode>
Fixed your post. Deckle is found on the underside of the flat. There is no deckle on a #120 packer.
</nit mode>
<nit mode>
Got Hats?
</nit mode>

[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #25
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
Really!!

Roll with what works for you. I'll happily do the same.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #26
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

That was the case when I wrote that in 2004 but I do believe it has changed.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #27
LTG
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Billy Bob
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmaes47 View Post
I don't understand why more teams don't concentrate on the point, cooked to perfection has a flavor that knock the socks out of flats...

- Taste better
- Has all of the flavor with the marbling
- Stays moist
- Has the better bark

I have turned I cubed point only and did very well without any flat in the box...
Turned in the box as a chaos theory, not lined up all in a row...

I believe point, cooked properly, will win a contest for the ones who perfect cooking the point properly...
I agree whole heartily.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #28
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
That was the case when I wrote that in 2004 but I do believe it has changed.

That's what I figured. Thanks for responding, and it is still a great book imo.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #29
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

In my worthless opinion, the point burnt ends are amazing when done right. However, I don't believe the "average" KCBS judge understands what they are or appreciates them. Thus, if slices are good I don't include burnt ends. If slices are off and the burnt ends are absolutely perfect, they might go in the box.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote