Anyone use the heat resistant gloves?

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I have been looking online at the heat resistant gloves and am wondering if the normal ones are suffice. I believe they say they go up to like 250 degrees or something like that. However, they also have the extreme heat resistant gloves that are good up to like 800 degrees, but they are double the price. Just checking to see what is suffice for grilling and smoking.

I usually just use welding gloves. Not sure of the exact heat resistance but Ive picked up and moved hot coals and/or splits with them. Probably not advised but havent been burned yet.

I'm not affiliated with ATBBQ, but in a lot of their videos, the chef has these gloves under nitrile gloves when he's handling the cooked meat. Might be worth a try since they are fairly cheap.

Do you need gloves for moving hot trays and shelves or hot food? Cotton gloves under nitrile gloves is good for hot food - for a minute or two. Cotton gloves under welding gloves is good for moving hot trays of food or moving hot shelves or even moving hot coals - for a minute or two. Both are cheap solutions and cotton gloves are washable.

I'm not affiliated with ATBBQ, but in a lot of their videos, the chef has these gloves under nitrile gloves when he's handling the cooked meat. Might be worth a try since they are fairly cheap.

That's what I use, works really well because I can change out the outer glove "shell" when it gets dirty and put on a new pair. I like this method as opposed to thicker high heat gloves because I can still feel fairly well with my fingertips and have full dexterity. I usually shred pork by hand wearing these because I like to remove all the fat globs that can give interesting mouth feel.

That's what I use, works really well because I can change out the outer glove "shell" when it gets dirty and put on a new pair. I like this method as opposed to thicker high heat gloves because I can still feel fairly well with my fingertips and have full dexterity. I usually shred pork by hand wearing these because I like to remove all the fat globs that can give interesting mouth feel.

Same here. Those little white gloves are a game changer.

As far as heavy gloves go, I am on my second pair of these from Amazon (First pair I accidentally left on the wood stove and they shriveled up. Whoops!). Super cheap and work pretty well if you need to move charcoal around or if you're playing with your fire or something.

https://www.amazon.com/NoCry-Resist...eproof+gloves&qid=1556633238&s=gateway&sr=8-3

I use heavy duty leather welding gloves. Don't recall the brand but I bought them off Amazon for like 20 bucks. I literally pick up flaming logs and hot coals with them to move around in the firebox. As long as you don't hang on to it for more than a couple of seconds, you don't feel any heat coming through.

Welding gloves for not food.
I've got some silicone heat resistant gloves branded "ButterBall" (I hope it's the turkey people and not a comment on my physique) for touching food.
They're great for quickly taking food off the smoker, grill, etc, but are very slick so caution is needed!
I haven't dropped anything but have come close!

I have a pair of the silicone gloves. As soon as I find someone I don't like, I'm laying them on him/her. They work great- after you manage to get them on. Getting them off once you've sweated a little in them and have ANY oil /grease on the outside gets you into Houdini territory.

Welding gloves for the 'not food'. Sized up nitrile gloves over cotton for everything else.

I have a pair of the silicone gloves. As soon as I find someone I don't like, I'm laying them on him/her. They work great- after you manage to get them on. Getting them off once you've sweated a little in them and have ANY oil /grease on the outside gets you into Houdini territory.

Welding gloves for the 'not food'. Sized up nitrile gloves over cotton for everything else.

Yup. I agree on the silicone gloves. Impossible to take off, and I swear they are impossible to fully clean. I can scrub them with Dawn until I'm blue in the face and they still feel greasy. Not a fan at all. I've taken to using a (clean) dishrag to handle/move meat for cutting, etc.

I hear you on the down side of them.
I run a sink of hot dishwater before i put them on and wear them as i wash them with a dish rag.
I wear XXXL nitrile gloves so i haven't found any large enough to wear the cotton gloves under.
Any suggestions?

Back