MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:24 AM   #31
Coat
is one Smokin' Farker

So i just checked the grill—it has been running 235 since yesterday at 3:45pm and it’s now 5:30am and it’s at 229. 13 hrs and 45 minutes. One load of charcoal. ������������

Thanks from: --->

Old 03-12-2019, 08:29 PM   #32
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coat View Post
Nice! Do you know this guy? Looks like pretty good quality.
Someone on the FB PK group just posted about this charcoal basket. Mine are made from Smokin Hot BBQ which is similar in design.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-27-2020, 10:27 AM   #33
SanJoseDale
Knows what a fatty is.

Anyone adapted a temp controlled fan, like a BBQ Guru? I inquired with them, got the following reply

“You will need to drill a 3/4:” hole in the side of the cooker 1” below the level of the fire/charcoal grate. You need the universal adaptor and a 10 cfm Pit Viper fan.“

Not so sure I want to drill a big hole in the side. I thought there may be a way to adapt a fan to the incoming vent.
SanJoseDale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2020, 10:32 AM   #34
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJoseDale View Post
Anyone adapted a temp controlled fan, like a BBQ Guru? I inquired with them, got the following reply

“You will need to drill a 3/4:” hole in the side of the cooker 1” below the level of the fire/charcoal grate. You need the universal adaptor and a 10 cfm Pit Viper fan.“

Not so sure I want to drill a big hole in the side. I thought there may be a way to adapt a fan to the incoming vent.
I saw a post, probably on FB, that someone did this using the intake tubes on the PK360. They added the fan to one of the tubes, blocked the back end of the tube, and left the other tube closed off.

I'll see if I can find it.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2020, 11:04 AM   #35
Alphonse
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Alan
Default PK360 feedback

How are you lighting it?

I use Weber Chimneys

What fuel are you using?

Lump and/or all natural briquettes (B&B). Add some smoking blocks from time to time, but judiciously.

What is your clean out practice?

Paint brush to sweep ash out the bottom. Wire brush to clean factory grates. Wooden scraper to peel grease and crud from all surfaces when needed. I use a pressure washer on the grill grates as needed.

What accessories have you found useful? What accessories have not been useful?

I use a wire mesh charcoal basket on half the grill. I machined larger holes in the PK charcoal basket to get it to work but rarely use it. I machined adapters to fit a FireBoard controller and blower on the grill but rarely use it. The grill is used primarily for grilling steaks, chops and the like. I have other grills that are better suited for low and slow cooks (real estate, fuel efficiency and heat retention). I built a rack to fix the grill grates to keep them from sliding around.

Video of grill grate holder:
https://youtu.be/IlTFiZtPRuY

Photos:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pork belly on the Pk Jan 20.jpg (93.1 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191105_193819.jpg (53.8 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190323_112226.jpg (44.0 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg EFFECTS.jpg (82.8 KB, 138 views)
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2020, 03:56 PM   #36
Coat
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJoseDale View Post

I use a fan. I'll try to get a photo--no iPhone so it's tricky lol

Old 08-11-2020, 06:50 PM   #37
willsands
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : willsands

We all know that the PK360 is a fine grill. I modified the left air intake to accept a Pit Viper fan and control the cooker temp with a Fireboard II drive, which makes the PK360 a fine smoker for long indirect cooks. That left a need for a rotisserie rig and and the ability to manage skewers/kabobs on the grill.

With a bit of forethought, I came up with a plan to make the PK even more versatile. I designed an aluminum rack for the PK to mount a rotisserie rig and accommodate kabob skewers. My woodworking tools work well to machine nonferrous metals such as aluminum. I intended the rack to provide a solid mount for the rotisserie without modifying the PK body. My design sits securely on the bosses that normally hold the grill grates in place without altering the PK casting. I machined the aluminum parts and ordered a One Grill mounting kit for the rotisserie.

After drilling, tapping, and assembling the parts, I used the rotisserie spit and motor from my Weber 26 for the first test drive. I will dig out a shorter spit rod for the next trial. I believe a rotisserie basket will work well and there are many options to explore with the fire layout. The kabob skewers offer a whole new world of possibilities to research.

The PK 360 can be as versatile as any Weber kettle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rotie rig.jpg (67.3 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg skewers.jpg (78.3 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg In place.jpg (72.4 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg chicken.jpg (74.0 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg cooking.jpg (87.7 KB, 99 views)

Old 08-11-2020, 07:19 PM   #38
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBO2126 View Post
Are y’all running the new model or the original ? I’m trying to decide if the extra money is worth it for the 360
I'm running the original, bought before the 360 was available. Not sure what I would have bought had I had the choice, but I love my original. Bulletproof.

As far as cleaning I just scoop out most of the ashes from time to time. About once a year I'll take it apart and power wash it out. That has not happened this year, oddly enough. It's not like I didn't have time.

Light it with a chimney and either Weber cubes or OK Joe lighter bundles. doesn't make much difference.

Temp control is not a huge problem, but it is nowhere near as responsive as the Open Range.

Old 08-11-2020, 07:26 PM   #39
HogGrog
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by willsands View Post
We all know that the PK360 is a fine grill. I modified the left air intake to accept a Pit Viper fan and control the cooker temp with a Fireboard II drive, which makes the PK360 a fine smoker for long indirect cooks. That left a need for a rotisserie rig and and the ability to manage skewers/kabobs on the grill.

With a bit of forethought, I came up with a plan to make the PK even more versatile. I designed an aluminum rack for the PK to mount a rotisserie rig and accommodate kabob skewers. My woodworking tools work well to machine nonferrous metals such as aluminum. I intended the rack to provide a solid mount for the rotisserie without modifying the PK body. My design sits securely on the bosses that normally hold the grill grates in place without altering the PK casting. I machined the aluminum parts and ordered a One Grill mounting kit for the rotisserie.

After drilling, tapping, and assembling the parts, I used the rotisserie spit and motor from my Weber 26 for the first test drive. I will dig out a shorter spit rod for the next trial. I believe a rotisserie basket will work well and there are many options to explore with the fire layout. The kabob skewers offer a whole new world of possibilities to research.

The PK 360 can be as versatile as any Weber kettle.
Wowsa!! That is very slick and awesome work. That would be a great 360 accessory that I wish was offered.
Bar-B-Que ain’t air pollution…
HogGrog is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2020, 01:36 PM   #40
Schwebs
Found some matches.

Default BBQ Guru on a PK 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I saw a post, probably on FB, that someone did this using the intake tubes on the PK360. They added the fan to one of the tubes, blocked the back end of the tube, and left the other tube closed off.

I'll see if I can find it.
I simply used a utility knife to trim the inside of the intake tube then used one of my BBQ Guru's (from my drum), blocked the back of the tube and closed the other tube. It worked well, but I have drums for long cooks so I did not stick with it.

I primarily use the PK for chicken when I'm in competition.. The PK is really responsive to small adjustments to the intake tubes, so I just use the tubes.
Schwebs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2020, 02:17 PM   #41
Coat
is one Smokin' Farker

That rotisserie is amazing. Shoot me a DM when you're ready to start shipping those!

Old 08-12-2020, 02:23 PM   #42
Mrhdvrod
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
That rotisserie is amazing. Shoot me a DM when you're ready to start shipping those!
Add me to this list!!!
Mrhdvrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2020, 05:32 PM   #43
willsands
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : willsands

Quote:

Coat and Mrhdvrod,
The rotisserie/kabob rack provided a bit of mental exercise and a refresher course for simple metal fabrication. That's about the limit of my involvement. However, I am willing to provide a few detailed pictures and useful insight for anyone who would like to copy the design.

I'm too old to take on any commitment beyond helping a friend with our shared interests.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:06 PM   #44
BillN
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Bill

I have only used my PK360 for steaks, chicken, chops, burgers and sausages. I use a chimney full of briquettes topped with a few small pieces of mesquite on the right third of the coal grate and cook everything indirect until up to desired temp then move over to direct heat for a quick sear. Makes for incredibly tasty results. I purchased grill grates and wish I had not as I am not impressed with them which may be a user issue. As far as cleaning I brush down my grates with a brush as soon as the food comes off and they are ready for the next cook. The day after the cook I use an old paint brush to sweep out the cold ash into a solo cup which I find is much cleaner than sweeping out through the opening in the bottom, takes just a couple of minutes to get a ash free cooker.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2020, 07:13 PM   #45
SMetroHawkeye
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Hawkeye

So please know... I think my PK360 with teak side tables is one of the sexiest cookers I’ve ever laid eyes on (hence her name). And I’m confident that this girl will far outlast me, based on fit, finish and utility.

How are you lighting it? A Weber Chimney... but be careful pouring the lit coals onto the grate; first 2 times I had a few sparks land on the right side table and left a few beauty marks. Note to self: if you’re right handed and you want the coals on the right side, you need to either pour with your left or get trickxy and attempt the gymnastics of a front and center angle pour.

What fuel are you using? KBB and Rockwood Lump depending on what I’m cooking; I’ll add a few wood chunks after I add the charcoal (left handed of course)

What is your clean out practice? Clean the grates right after cooking with a wire brush to minimize future mess. After everything cools down, I’ve got a small bench brush that makes quick order of the ash, through the drain hole and into an HD orange bucket hung from the fantastically positioned hang brackets. I’ll use a drip pan to minimize mess, but not if I’m planning on opening up the lower left vent. I’ll use a flexible scraper to dig out the grease and drippings when needed.

What accessories have you found useful? I love the teak side tables... just beautiful! I like the tongs and flipper, as they hang easily. I’m neutral to positive on the custom GrillGrates. They do sear and generate heat well. I have only flipped them over a few times for smash burgers... I didn’t have a lot of luck trying to re-flip the grate to try to burn the surface off to clean them. Talk about gymnastics...

What accessories have not been useful? The charcoal basket was a waste of money. I might try drilling those extra holes to see if they help. I bought the cutting board, and have only used it once. It’s great being able to hang it during the cook to use the side tables to put things on. But I seem to get along without it just fine.
[B]Current Corral:[/B] LSG VO 24” ([I]Li’l Herky[/I]); MAK Two-Star General ([I]Mando[/I]); PK360 with GrillGrates ([I]Galgadot[/I]); Vision Pro Kamado ([I]Punkinhead[/I]); WSM 22” ([I]The Droid[/I]); Weber Kettle ([I]Dory[/I]); Bull Angus ([I]Gasser[/I])
SMetroHawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote