vending help

adstu

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I will be vending in my hometown next week, they are expecting 1000 people this year with 2 other vendors there. This is my 2nd time ever vending and I'm not sure on good price. I will be selling pork sandwich 4oz serving, ribs and because I'm only buying 10 -15 slabs I don't want to sell them by the rack or half rack I would prefer to sell them by 3-4 bones what would you charge. Not sure if I'm doing spare or baby backs. Possible I will do brisket not sure about the portion size or cost for that. Sides would be slaw, beans and Mac salad. I got 6 oz cups thinking $2 per side. Can drinks and bottled water $1 each. This will be in indiana what you guys think about prices and tips..... thank you

As has been said many times on this board: start at 3 times food cost. 3 vendors for 1k people is going to keep your gross low. I suggest you keep your sales price up a bit to make sure you cover OH. Maybe $2 a bone for ribs and around $6 for pork sammie. I also suggest you get your water/drink cost higher. Ice can cost as much as the drink. I normally do 5x cost rounded off on drinks. Old contractor saying: I'd rather be hungry than tired and hungry.

ac, I've been watching pork prices closely lately. I'm not a vendor but always been a numbers guy and always running numbers in my head trying to figure out BBQ profitability. Last weekend I saw R.D.'s spares at $2.13 / Lbs. = about $10.62 per rack average. At 12 bones per rack that = .825 per bone X's 3 = $2.48 a bone... You mentioned $2 each. I feel $2 is more appropriate but my numbers just don't work. Am I paying too much? The spares would have to come in around $8 per rack. I am not accounting for the trimmings left from the spares but what do I do with them to re-cap my rack cost? Hope I'm not running with this thread and if so please advise.

ac, I've been watching pork prices closely lately. I'm not a vendor but always been a numbers guy and always running numbers in my head trying to figure out BBQ profitability. Last weekend I saw R.D.'s spares at $2.13 / Lbs. = about $10.62 per rack average. At 12 bones per rack that = .825 per bone X's 3 = $2.48 a bone... You mentioned $2 each. I feel $2 is more appropriate but my numbers just don't work. Am I paying too much? The spares would have to come in around $8 per rack. I am not accounting for the trimmings left from the spares but what do I do with them to re-cap my rack cost? Hope I'm not running with this thread and if so please advise.

IMHO: your questions add to the OP's original post.

I'm having trouble with your math. Are you talking BBs or spares?

RD's babybacks come 3 racks and 9lbs to a package average. 3lbs a rack average. RD here is around $2.70 per pound so I get: $2.7 x 3=$8.10. $8.10/12=$.67 each bone.

Spares aren't as consistent in weight or number of ribs. Your equation is a 5lb rack (that's pretty big) which will probably have closer to 15 or maybe even 16 ribs. So: $2.13 x 5lbs= $10.65. And, $10.65/15 = $.71 ea.

This year we went to $7 for a 3 rib babyback serving. But that also includes CA sales tax. Famous Dave's was $6 plus tax for a 3 rib spare serving last year. Their booth was directly across the aisle from ours.

Thanks ac. These were actually a 2 rack pack and as you say they were big and meaty. I didn't even count the ribs as I always just figure 12 in a rack. Too late now because I took them into work yesterday AM and they were devoured in minutes. I will pay more attention on my next cook. I will say that they were so large that 2 was enough.

Back