Anyone use the heat resistant gloves?

Buffettfan-

Found some 4XL disposables at Amazon. Go with the thinnest cotton gloves you can find and they might work for you...and those meathooks you call "hands" :grin:

I also use the cotton/nitrite gloves for hot food.
I switched from my welding gloves to these from GFS. They come in a 15" length and 17" for more forearm protection.
For me, they are so much easier to get on/off than my welding gloves. I am able to slide my hands into them.
They get burned up easier than welding gloves. But the are under $10 pair. I go thru a couple pairs/yr.
https://gfsstore.com/products/218243/

Just note, the 17" are a PIA when it is colder outside. As your winter coat sleeves want to push them off.
But summer time, I have been saved from burns many times since I'm usually in a t-shirt.

And DO NOT buy the white high temp mitts. The thumb section is only maybe 1 1/2" long max on the outside. Makes it very hard to get a solid grip on anything and not lose the mitt.

Last edited:
I will depart from the group just a bit. I have a pair of welding gloves I've been using for years but have notice recently they aren't all that great over a high heat BGE. I looked around and Malcolm Reid was showing off the Pittmaster thermal glove. I was going to the BBQ store anyway, they had some there, so I picked one up. I love it. Very comfy. Thermal qualities beat my welding gloves. I eventually bought a second one for my other hand. Are they necessary? Nope. Do I like them ? Yep

I use cheap HF rubber coated cotton gloves and cover with cheap RD blue nitrile gloves. But most of the time i just use my bare hands since i am a construction worker and have weathered hands, not desk hands.

I'll be the odd man out, I almost never wear gloves, usually just grab a kitchen towel to quickly handle hot pans, or use tongs to handle meat, course I'm not handling mammoth quarters or other huge hunks of some dinosaur...:grin:

If I have to adjust a damper I just tap it with whatever wood or metal object is in reach...why abuse your hands any more then you have too...I do enough of that at work.

I use welding gloves to move hot pans, grates, ash pan in deep south and so on.
cotton gloves with nitrile gloves over them to pull hot meat.

Either welding gloves ( mine are actually from the Goldens' Cast Iron Foundry, geez, no surprise there) or a pair of what was/is marketed as The Ove Glove.

I've got a bit of a walk from my grilling area through the garage, the mudroom and into the kitchen, opening two doors so a good pair of high heat resistant gloves is a necessity, especially when carrying hot cast iron.

Welding gloves for messing with grates and other hot stuff, WSM body to add coals, etc... (other than food). But for direct handling of food a pair of the white knit gloves under nitrile will work for a short time, but it will heat up eventually. I found a pack of the white knit gloves at Harbor Freight, current price is $4.99 for 6 pairs and you can also use their 20% off coupon on top of that. They will wash, but they are cheap and disposable also.

Back