Need Help with Rub for my Brisket

Fredcharles1985

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Hi All,
I mixed the salt and pepper and put it on my brisket.
The wife said she could taste a lot of salt and pepper.
Are there other rubs I could use so it wouldn’t taste like that.
Thanks.

Not sure how much you put on but maybe you used too much rub.

Also make sure it’s kosher salt and coarse pre ground pepper. Table salt would make it too salty and fresh pepper would be overpowering.

The traditional brisket flavors are (IIRC) salt & pepper. Oakridge makes a well regarded seasoning called SPOGOS which should be in the proper proportions. They also make a brisket targeted seasoning called Black Ops.

I always put some onion and garlic powder on brisket along with the Salt and Pepper, and a light dusting of msg (Accent) never tried sugars or red pepper combos..... (on brisket )

Agree with @ASAT on the onion and garlic. Aaron Franklin uses just salt and 16 mesh pepper.
Oakridge SPOGOS is ‘Salt, Pepper, Onion, Garlic, Other Spices’
Never tried Accent (MSG), but will have to give it a try.

GetChaSome :

http://www.adkinsbbq.com/products.html

Made in Texas.......

YiKDY2Mh.jpg

M5CtPxUh.jpg

I buy 5-6 Bags at a Time.....

SPfwqjzh.jpg

4YIULK9h.jpg

this 1836 ain't Bad - but I prefer Adkins......

0YNmJazh.jpg

Oakridge Black Ops ain't Bad but has Strong black pepper taste......

3wzbD34h.jpg

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249991

:heh:

Last edited:
My last one I used a good coating of kosher salt AND Black Ops. Not salty at all. How much salt and what kind did you use.

Hi All,
I mixed the salt and pepper and put it on my brisket.
The wife said she could taste a lot of salt and pepper.
Are there other rubs I could use so it wouldn’t taste like that.
Thanks.

I really like this one from Melissa Cookston. In fact, I just made up a batch for an upcoming cook.

Sweet Memphis BBQ Rub

makes about 3 1/2 cups

INGREDIENTS
1 cup turbinado sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup kosher salt
1 TBS onion powder
2 TBS granulated garlic
1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp black pepper finely ground
2 tsp dry mustard
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/3 cup paprika

I use 1/3 cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup course ground black pepper, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder. Seems to make a good bark and everyone enjoys it.
Also makes a great seasoning for smoked turkey breast.

Since we just lost Paul Schatte, I'll throw this out here. Get a bottle of Head Country Original championship rub. I like to add some fresh cracked Pepper to the top of the brisket too, make sure you get the variety bottle of pepper corns. Excellent brisket rub that doesn't break the piggy bank.

If you just want a Salt and Pepper type rub, I like Qsalt and Salt Lick original rub. You may try to back off on how much S&P you use next time. There are plenty of others to try also.

You're bride is not from Texas I take it? :biggrin1:

You can always adjust the ratio of S&P based on taste...but if you're going to try something different...try a tried and true beef rub and see what she thinks.

Once in a while I will add a bit of Montreal steak seasoning to the S&P

Last weekend I did Q-Salt, dusted with Black Ops and did a final top coat of fresh ground pepper on a 18# SRF Gold grade brisket - it was fantastic.

Last edited:
Back