• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

chili serving size???

Balls Casten

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have been asked to make my chili for a party. My recipe yelds an over full 8 qt crock pot.

Understanding that it is very subjective. How many people will that serve? Or what is a normal serving size for a bowl of chili?

Just looking for opinions, you don't have to be the chili king of your state ...
2 cups sound about right?

• Thanks
Reactions: pat
Without going to the kitchen to do some measuring, 2 cups sounds like a pretty large bowl. Your recipe would make 16 servings at 2 cups ea. I would guess that a normal sized bowl would be more like 10 to 12 oz rather than 16. Assuming 12 oz servings, your recipe would yield about 21 servings. Sound about right?

Thanks Brian, that's the way I first figured it in terms of size but never thought a crockpot would serve 20 people. I've made it a thousand times but never kept track of bowls served.
Thanks for the input.

Hint and I do this a lot. Get yourself one of those electric turkey roaster things that have controllable temp. They are one sale right now! Mine is 18quart and that does all I need for the larger parties! Double or even triple your recipe.... As an example I can fit almost 4 #10 cans of premade chili in mine before I dr it up and still have headroom. Good luck...

Back