MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:20 PM   #16
chopshop
On the road to being a farker

cant go wrong with a fast eddy. this is a true set it and forget, not to mention a good product everytime

Old 02-17-2010, 10:10 PM   #17
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqpitstop View Post
Tweedle,

Whatever you settle on be sure and check Craigslist to get a good price. There is a Southern Pride for sale on the Buffalo Craigslist under the business section just in case you want to check out that one.
For indoor use, pay attention to bbqpitstop on the FE, she knows what the cookers can do!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:25 PM   #18
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

PM me if you are looking for an FEC 500.... I would think if Matt's 750 is still available, that might be the way to go, though. They are so efficient, that having too much cooker isnt nearly as big an issue as having not enough.
Great cookers!
Old 03-04-2010, 07:55 PM   #19
DCFIREMANN
On the road to being a farker

Wow just found this thread. I hope you got things worked out for buying a Southern Pride. I have 2 and love them both, both are trailer mounted and have made me a lot of money in the past. BTW I have an older BBR 79 and a newer SPK 500. Both produce an excellent product.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
DCFIREMANN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #20
getyourrubonbbq
Take a breath!

I have recently come across two used SPK-500's. I'm having them refurbished by SP and will be installing one of them on my trailer. The units will be just like brand new once finished. I'm asking $8,000 for the second one and will install the digital controls for an additional $650. Smoker is not on a trailer, but I can arrange that if needed for an additional fee.
[URL="http://www.extremebbqtrailers.com"]www.extremebbqtrailers.com[/URL]
getyourrubonbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #21
meatpunk
Got rid of the matchlight.

Can any of these cookers operate while in a moving truck? I am thinking of cooking butts and brisket overnight for a food truck operation, then putting that into Cambros in the morning and putting on ribs to be ready for lunch service. So, I would need the cooker to still be cooking or at least holding hot, while in the truck on the way to the vending location. Crazy? (Guessing that the jolting of riding around in a truck would set off an emergency shutdown on any gas/pellet/electric cooker) Also anybody use a BDS for vending? Seems like a couple of those loaded as described above would make a heck of a day's business. They are so airtight that you could plumb the intake and exhaust outside the truck and have no worries about carbon monoxide... I think. Anybody?
meatpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #22
Big_Alvin
Full Fledged Farker

question for those that use ole hickory pits,southern prides, fecs, friedrich or the like - i 've read they are set and forget and u do use wood for smoke, correct? do they produce a smoke ring on the meats? apologize if this is a stupid question, just curious. thanks
Old 06-05-2011, 09:35 PM   #23
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I can only speak for Southern Prides, they use wood, logs or splits, for smoke. The unit my friend has uses gas for heat. He does get a smoke ring. It is pretty set and forget, as much as any one I have heard of.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 06-21-2011, 07:09 PM   #24
Haltech
Full Fledged Farker

I would not recommend a FEC-100 indoors in a joint.. They have a history of catching fire... mine did early this yearm fire dept was called out.... thats how bad it was.. Had earlier episodes before, but caught them in time. When i called CS, they even told me the 100s are for competition use... They recommend the 300,500 or 750s for retail indoor cooking, NOT a 100

We are looking at opening a joint here soon and i have settled on a FEC 300 for chicken and the southern pride 500 will take care of everything else.
[COLOR=Lime]GREEN[/COLOR] [COLOR=SeaGreen][B]Top Gear Formula Model[/B][/COLOR] Therm0Pen
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Magenta"]Rubs Of Choice - [COLOR="Black"][B]Jacked UP BBQ & Plowboys Yardbird[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]
Haltech is offline   Reply With Quote