New Catering Business Question

First good luck - you must be crazy. NY laws are different than MI and sound a little like Florida with a commissary. As to personal chef as my HD in MI says there's no such thing legally. But a person can go to another house and cook for their party and accept a gratuity for doing it. To get legal is a whole other story and a lot of work even if you stay as just a partnership. Get a lawyer and draw up papers if forming a business enterprise even if informal. Trust me it's a good idea. The HD will work with you and you can get going for a reasonable amount if you want to cooperate. Obey the rules makes sure you don't PO them or it's a real pain for years.

And to everybody on this thread remember it's just BBQ and it's Christmas. I think I'll go back to my fresh squeezed OJ and vodka now. Maybe have to put lights on the palm tree soon.

Back to the question of a starting budget.I would think most NSF approved smokers start at about 3500.I don't know about NY but some states say you must use NSF equipment if not to cater then to vend.(Find out before you buy)but if your planning on spending that kind of money buy NSF the rule could come to your town soon.I would also think you could by most of your equipment used and cheap being in NY I would think there would be a closing raunt in NYC everyday.buy only the basics to make basic meals and as you go along and customers ask for things then get that other piece of equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back