MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:12 AM   #1
Sakamoto
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Greg
Default Thoughts on Pellets

So I'm going to pick-up or order my first pellet grill/smoker today! For reference I'm getting the Louisiana Grills 900 Pellet Grill with Smoke Box if that matters.

After reading plenty of info on pellets I'm just as confused about them as before I read anything!

Does it really make much of a difference on which brand I use other than the type flavor i.e. Hickory, Apple etc. Does one brand burn better?

Any guidance from you guys would be appreciated!
Sakamoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2018, 10:22 AM   #2
Waldog1970
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Waldo

I have the best luck with lumberjack pellets.
Waldog1970 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 09-22-2018, 10:46 AM   #3
airedale
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakamoto View Post
... Does it really make much of a difference on which brand I use other than the type flavor i.e. Hickory, Apple etc. ...
Well, it depends. Taste may not vary much, but if you have the silly idea that the stuff in the bag ought to match the label on the bag, then the answer is yes, it matters.

AFIK, the Lumberjack labeling is accurate as are many others. Traeger is the poster child for mislabeling I think. I have read that their "mesquite" contains no mesquite, only "flavor oils." There is another one like that in their line and many of their bags partially contain cheap fill wood. You can probably find details of various vendors' offerings with web searches or by emailing the vendors and asking.
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-22-2018, 07:17 PM   #4
TheBBQJew
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Jew

From my limited research I have found that the difference in pellet brands lies in the composure of the pellets. Some brands when they say “Apple” on the bag are really 70% oak and 30% apple. The oak is fairly neutral in smoke flavor but gives good heat. 30% apple for flavor.

Som brands like BBQ Delight and Lumberjack when they say “apple” are 100% apple. You pay a premium for it though.

Pit Boss Competition pellets for example are sold at Lowe’s for 40# for $15. They use no flavor enhancers like oil either but are a composition of different woods. The single wood pellets, no oils added, like Lumberjack and BBQD are double the price or more per lb. You have to decide if the additional price yields better results to your taste buds. But for the higher price you pay you are definetly in the zone of diminishing returns!

I use Lumberjack Hickory and Maple because I’m a baller and make stupid fistfulls of money. That’s how I roll!

Last edited by TheBBQJew; 09-22-2018 at 10:13 PM..
TheBBQJew is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:27 PM   #5
LYU370
somebody shut me the fark up.

Stay away from Traeger. You'll be fine with all the others. Unless it say 100% whatever, it's a blend of whatever flavor it is and another wood, oak or alder depending on where in the country you are. Been using Lumberjack 100% Maple recently. Other favorites are Lumberjack MHC (Maple, Hickory, Cherry) & 100% Pecan. I use Lumberjack because I can get them locally for a good price.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link

Last edited by LYU370; 09-22-2018 at 07:32 PM..
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2018, 08:21 PM   #6
KingRanch450
is One Chatty Farker

Great info here...thanks

Old 09-22-2018, 11:56 PM   #7
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBBQJew View Post
I use Lumberjack Hickory and Maple because I’m ... stupid ...
Fixed that for you
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2018, 12:19 AM   #8
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Maybe where you live, but I pay $8.99 for 20# bags of lumberjack, and IMO, there is more than a $3 difference in quality.

Unless they have changed BBQ Delight, is 80% oak.

edit:
Actually this is the description:
The choice of competitors everywhere, BBQr's Delight Wood Pellets are consistently rated among the highest quality pellets available. These pellets are a blend of 2/3 oak and 1/3 flavor wood. Infuse a clean smoke flavor into your food with BBQr's Delight Wood Pellets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBBQJew View Post
From my limited research I have found that the difference in pellet brands lies in the composure of the pellets. Some brands when they say “Apple” on the bag are really 70% oak and 30% apple. The oak is fairly neutral in smoke flavor but gives good heat. 30% apple for flavor.

Som brands like BBQ Delight and Lumberjack when they say “apple” are 100% apple. You pay a premium for it though.

Pit Boss Competition pellets for example are sold at Lowe’s for 40# for $15. They use no flavor enhancers like oil either but are a composition of different woods. The single wood pellets, no oils added, like Lumberjack and BBQD are double the price or more per lb. You have to decide if the additional price yields better results to your taste buds. But for the higher price you pay you are definetly in the zone of diminishing returns!

I use Lumberjack Hickory and Maple because I’m a baller and make stupid fistfulls of money. That’s how I roll!

Last edited by Joshw; 09-23-2018 at 12:25 AM..
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2018, 06:26 AM   #9
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

I know we've had this thread before (maybe multiple times) … I have personally had great luck with Traegar gourmet blend sourced from exclusively my Costco in Jacksonville Florida. The price is right, and I have had very clean consistent burns and enjoy the flavor. These pellets have won several competitions for me.

THAT SAID: It appears folks West of the Mississippi get alder as the base would, and I get oak as the base wood being east so you may need to keep that in mind as I believe that's a big deal in terms of the BTU output.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2018, 06:51 AM   #10
mowin
Full Fledged Farker

I've tried just about every pellet out there. As far as flavor, I can't tell a difference between apple, hickory, or any other flavors regardless of brand. They all taste like smoke to me.

That said, I CAN taste a different in the amount of smoke flavor from different pellets. I've been using lumberjack 100% hickory for a couple yrs now. Less Ash, longer burns per hopper full. Better smoke profile. I buy them by the ton, and pick them up at a local trucking company.
Think the last ton came out to be around .32c a #.
"Elizabeth Ann" bubba grills 250 ribbox RF offset.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2018, 06:56 AM   #11
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowin View Post
I've tried just about every pellet out there. As far as flavor, I can't tell a difference between apple, hickory, or any other flavors regardless of brand. They all taste like smoke to me.

That said, I CAN taste a different in the amount of smoke flavor from different pellets. I've been using lumberjack 100% hickory for a couple yrs now. Less Ash, longer burns per hopper full. Better smoke profile. I buy them by the ton, and pick them up at a local trucking company.
Think the last ton came out to be around .32c a #.
Ton as in 2,000 pounds? Do you have a restaurant that uses pellets?
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2018, 07:41 AM   #12
TheBBQJew
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Jew

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleebus.jones View Post
Fixed that for you
Totally uncalled for! I guess some people take things a little too seriously!
TheBBQJew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2018, 08:37 AM   #13
darita
is One Chatty Farker

CAUTION! WHEN PURCHASING PELLETS, ALWAYS CALL THE MANUFACTURER TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE BUYING WHAT YOU THINK YOU ARE BUYING.
Whats on the bag is not usually accurate. There are very few that print exactly what is in the bag.
There is so much confusion when it comes to the pellets we buy. For instance, Pit Boss Pellet labeling makes it look like they are 100% flavor wood or a blend of flavor woods, when actually, they contain at most, only 50% of actual flavor wood and the rest, a base wood. Many other brands are the same. Lumber Jack, on the other hand, states exactly what's in the pellets.
What I'm hoping is that pellet manufacturers read this thread and the many like it and decide to be honest about what's in the bag, which is dreaming, I know.
Stick with Lumber Jack. We all know they are honest.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:56 AM   #14
Smoke Dawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : IMF

I do buy some local pellets that I know are alder and flavor wood. I am OK with that as I also use alder in my stick burner. It is good smoke wood. The Alder is 100% alder!

Same thing with Oak. I just stay away from brands that use flavor oils.
Only Brethren to win a TD with all the votes!
IMBAS Certified Moink Baller
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #15
airedale
is one Smokin' Farker

My issue is with supplier honesty. Tell me honestly what is in the bag and I'll decide whether I want to buy it. Lie to me this time, then will the lie be different on the next bag?
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote