• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What cooker would you switch to?

big matt

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've been throwing around making a switch from our big pig of a cooker to something smaller..I've cooked on lots of different ones but I wanted your opinions..what would you switch to if you could?

If I switch,and only if I switched, (I am very happy with my Backwoods), I might consider going with Pappy Q and Indianagriller. But at this time, I have no plans on switching.
So I hope this helped you out some.:grin:

If I were to switch from a big cooker to a smaller cooker I would switch to a Humphrey's pit They are rock solid, well designed and all of their cookers will hold a full size pan. Give them a call they are great people, they will help you out with whatever you need!!

I am thinking of switching from a Lang 84 (which requires a second vheical) to 3 WSM's. The Camper I use at comps is not a toy hauler so the pits have to be farily light. I would convert the bunkroom in the back of the camper to do all the prep and boxing and I would also be able to haul the WSM's there.

Depends on what sanctioning bodies you plan to compete in. I'd start there to set my expectations. I have an early model Lang 84, and it's still not enough to cook the 8 20# shoulders, 14 racks of baby backs, AND a 120# hog in at the same time. I need 2.

If I were ONLY in something like KCBS I'd probably look at 3 or 4 WSM's. Cheap, effective, and if you lose one you just go buy another'n.

I have cooked on a FE or a Geer. FE is much smaller and you can get sleep. The Geer is a lot bigger and the chicks dig it.... :p

We use the FEC100 and 2 Backwoods (Fat Boy / Chubby) today. We don't want to switch, but if we had to the FEC120 and the Humphrey's pit would be at the top of the list.

Im with Pappy Q. I have a Jambo Jr, I wouldn't change for the world. Only if it were a J3 or Enclosed Model Jambo. Fun to cook on, easy on the eye, and great product comes off it.

Matt, I'll tell you honestly, I don't think we've driven the WSMs to their limit yet. We are still learning things about how to use them to get the product we want.

Now, that's not to say that if we suddenly had the option to use something else, and the means to get it to contests, that we wouldn't switch. Everyone thinks about "what-if" I had such-and-such shiny magical cooker. And we've seen more than one person buy the shiny magical cooker, whichever one it is at the time, and not do any particularly better than they were doing on the old one.

So, given that we still have transport issues, we haven't yet concretely thought about a change. Maybe next year!

I've been throwing around making a switch from our big pig of a cooker to something smaller..I've cooked on lots of different ones but I wanted your opinions..what would you switch to if you could?

I went from hauling around a large'ish gravity fed and a WSM to a backwoods party & chubby (G2s). This was primary due to changing from a utility trailer where I could load up anything on wheels into it, to now a camper that I can't really put any cooker in. The WSM would fit, but I wanted 2 new toys anyways :grin:. So I needed to get something I could put in the back of a truck (though the backwoods I have are technically skinny enough to fit in the tiny camper door).

But I guess there are a few questions to ask such as, do you want multiple smaller cookers? "Smaller" is a relative term so going from a big JOS pig cooker to say a Stumps Prince or FEC 120 would be downsizing. Do you have limitations on size of how small you want to go? Does type of fuel matter? Will they be rolled into a trailer or will they have to be lifted? Does price matter?

What works for us may not work for you without a few more details.

Thanks for all of the replies guys!..I appreciate the quality feedback thank you all.

I went from hauling around a large'ish gravity fed and a WSM to a backwoods party & chubby (G2s). This was primary due to changing from a utility trailer where I could load up anything on wheels into it, to now a camper that I can't really put any cooker in. The WSM would fit, but I wanted 2 new toys anyways :grin:. So I needed to get something I could put in the back of a truck (though the backwoods I have are technically skinny enough to fit in the tiny camper door).

But I guess there are a few questions to ask such as, do you want multiple smaller cookers? "Smaller" is a relative term so going from a big JOS pig cooker to say a Stumps Prince or FEC 120 would be downsizing. Do you have limitations on size of how small you want to go? Does type of fuel matter? Will they be rolled into a trailer or will they have to be lifted? Does price matter?

What works for us may not work for you without a few more details.
no limitation on cost really..we will be pushing ifi to a toy hauler that's one of the reasons I'm thinking of the change..I'll still keep our MAK in the mix as well..so many options..I've cooked on most types that have been mentioned except a backwoods or Jambo..I'm really looking for something consistent temp wise and fuel efficient.

I'm hoping to go the other way. I use 2 WSM's and a small cargo trailer. I hope to get a toy hauler and move up to a backwoods or FEC. I do love my WSM's though.

Back