MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:59 AM   #16
ewatts2003
Full Fledged Farker

I compete pretty much by myself. I have all of the equipment, do all of the prep, cooking, turn in boxes, etc. I have had 1 other person help me in the 2 comps I did, only for turning the boxes in. With my timeline kept the way it is it would be hard to do 100% everything on my own...but I also think I could tweak my timeline just enough so I could do the turn ins as well. I started practicing with the idea of doing everything myself because a lot of times finding someone to be as dedicated with their time is hard. You can definitely do it alone, it just gets hectic for the last 3 hours of the comp lol.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:13 AM   #17
enasnidx
Full Fledged Farker

The more you get into it the more you’ll enjoy it and the better you’ll manage your time as a solo competitor. I do almost everything solo with exception of my son helping run boxes for me at most (not all) contests. I might be borderline over-organized, but I keep several spreadsheets to help me manage: one for prep week to-do’s, one packing list for the comp, and one for my cook process/timeline. I think I killed too many brain cells in college so I need reminders on what I need to do at any given time. Lol
If you would like help with any of that send me a PM and I’ll share any of the docs with you.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-21-2018, 10:18 AM   #18
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Thanks to all for the encouraging feedback. The first comp I'd consider would be in the Spring. In the meantime, my wife is happy that I'll be practicing at home. I'll try to do it as if I were at a site - anything snuck from the kitchen will go on the list. Let the games begin.
West River BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2018, 08:22 AM   #19
tunnelengineer
Knows what a fatty is.

you can do it by yourself, it's do-able. Will it be fun, probably not. Even if you can get a runner for the boxes it will be a good help. You have plenty of time between turn-ins if you have a runner.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:20 PM   #20
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Attachment 164195Update: I went ahead and had a practice run this last weekend, preparing three meats (chicken, ribs and brisket). I even prepared boxes. I was happy with the results. Need some more tweaking. The brisket stalled at 145 and again at 187, and I never could get the internal temp higher than that, so I was disappointed with texture. I was happy with the flavor profiles. Time management was okay with the exception of running out of time for the brisket. I figured that I need to build in much more time, and then hold the meat until ready to slice and dice. What's recommended to keep meats warm? Do others approach this differently?

Thanks to all for the past comments and encouragement. I'll definitely be competing next year. It's supposed to snow this Friday - way too early!

Last edited by West River BBQ; 05-16-2021 at 05:18 PM..

Old 09-25-2018, 06:41 PM   #21
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Just a little feedback on the ribs. Give them a light coating of sauce to make them shine. And, unless you know that you will be using a half pan for turn ins, you may want to get some 9x9 styrofoam containers, which are the standard for KCBS and most backyard comps and use them for practice.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2018, 08:49 AM   #22
bpeyton89
Full Fledged Farker

I know they're expensive, but you almost have to have a Cambro/ Carlisle. The Carlisle from amazon are rather affordable. You can use coolers/ moving blankets to hold meat, but they just plane do not work as well as a cambro. I fought this for years, and truly our scores got better when we got a cambro. It's also nice to have ribs done by 11:15-11:30 and not have to worry about them getting cold. Pork is done at 10:30 brisket at 11. that way the only thing on the grill getting closet to turn-ins is chicken. much less hectic.
bpeyton89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-26-2018, 10:47 AM   #23
Right on Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeyton89 View Post
I know they're expensive, but you almost have to have a Cambro/ Carlisle. The Carlisle from amazon are rather affordable. You can use coolers/ moving blankets to hold meat, but they just plane do not work as well as a cambro. I fought this for years, and truly our scores got better when we got a cambro. It's also nice to have ribs done by 11:15-11:30 and not have to worry about them getting cold. Pork is done at 10:30 brisket at 11. that way the only thing on the grill getting closet to turn-ins is chicken. much less hectic.

+1 on this. I fought buying a cambro also but it made the last 2-3 hours before turn ins so much better

Old 09-26-2018, 04:52 PM   #24
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

If you don't have money for a cambro, try using a welding blanket to wrap up the food and then towels before putting meat in a faux cambro setup. It made a big difference for us with welding blankets. The meat held temp better and we got calls too. Just what worked for us keeping the meat at a safe temp.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2018, 11:24 AM   #25
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Amazon lists the Cambro and the Carlisle at about the same price - around the $190 mark. I didn't price pans. This is something I'll consider.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:32 AM   #26
Pig_Farmer
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Carl

I went with Cator Gator and it works great. I bought extra gaskets for it too.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/cat...PANCARBLK.html
Weber Performer, Weber kettle red, Dual Weber Kettle table gold, UDS, East Texas Smoker RK250, Blackstone 36, Blackstone 17, GMG Trek, LSG Large IVC Candy Apple Red W/4WD and a 6.7L Power Stroke
Pig_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first competition