Any Tips for Using Rubs With Chicken Wings?

kc27

Found some matches.
Reaction score
What is the best way to maximize flavor when using a rub when grilling chicken wings? Also, is length of time the rub is on the wings before grilling a factor?

I am using Memphis Style BBQ Rub by Nutmeg Spice Company. It lists demerara sugar, sea salt, dehydrated onion and garlic, mustard, molasses powder, paprika, vinegar powder, and hickory smoke flavor as its ingredients if that matters.

I've done anywhere from night before to 30-45 minutes before cooking.

I like something over about an hour or so...

Big fan of tossing bird in a ziptop bag and pouring in the rub. Toss/massage to coat. Into the fridge until about 30 min before I cook, when I give it another good toss/massage as I take it out to the grill. That's just me.

I put my wings in a large disposable pan and cover them with rub. Those big foil hotel pans are great for keeping down any mess. I let them hang out and sweat a bit while the grill heats up. It's always worked great.

I just smoked wings for the first time tonight on the Yoder...

45 min at 190 and then flipped them and finished for 30 min at 350.

ACtC-3dk9CK_WtVqatHjzpjh57luAVrZr5SP57arv7nqnaS2W0YBINUpqacMmmFYaPsxxHb7Y7y1dbQwIZGP_1w2abwH3gUnVFnHYzs57UWc0SsCXfEQIDQudXpEo1O3NxrvmkAlcApaOT8o12inAuKROexg8g=w1250-h937-no

The wings match up in order with the rubs below...olive oil binder on the lemon garlic, no binder on the John' Henry's, and Lillie's gold mustard BBQ sauce with the Holy Gospel. They were all outstanding...

ACtC-3cb7ES3aXy90Y3W6PyIfCAhd4IGfngQOZTcd0Gx5AjbIcTGIXhup67IMZHxMCYe7Gkn7pFcBeHR0tAx_rt9UTcZjQiRnJSGSr1xR7hF7qowDjeJKvLW5nDfRWqWTYPqb8l5tydjlCWkJ0uEqnFZh8sLSA=w1250-h937-no

I like wings wet, except when using oak ridge HDD, so sp only for me until done, then toss with wet sauce to your liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What is the best way to maximize flavor when using a rub when grilling chicken wings? Also, is length of time the rub is on the wings before grilling a factor?

I am using Memphis Style BBQ Rub by Nutmeg Spice Company. It lists demerara sugar, sea salt, dehydrated onion and garlic, mustard, molasses powder, paprika, vinegar powder, and hickory smoke flavor as its ingredients if that matters.

My secret is mostly in the prep. I remove all the little tags of skin and meat that will burn anyways. I take off the little 'blister' of fat on the drumette piece, and I poke holes all over the skin/meat area with my 3-tine sausage pricker. :twitch: Now any marinades can go deeper, and the fats in the skin bubble to the top and help with crispness. Making lollipops is also something to consider down the line.

DhGlity.jpg

Some of my best wings were done with Kosmos Wing Dust which you put on AFTER cooking the wings. The Chili Lime version is amazing and it´s so easy. Just smoke/grill them until they are done, toss in a bowl and add some wing dust. Shake them around until all have some dust on them and EAT.

I sprinkle liberally with Plowboy's Yardbird. Doesn't seem to matter much if I do that 3 hours before the cook, or just before the cook.

We did a backyard test a few years ago with several rubs and sauces. The overwhelming favorite was Cavender's Greek Seasoning, with rub only, and also with sauce.

Some of my best wings were done with Kosmos Wing Dust which you put on AFTER cooking the wings. The Chili Lime version is amazing and it´s so easy. Just smoke/grill them until they are done, toss in a bowl and add some wing dust. Shake them around until all have some dust on them and EAT.

I have found that seasoning after cooking provides my best results. Throw those boogers in a big bowl and start flopping them around

One of my cookin' buddies ordered two flavors of Kosmo's Wing Dust. It's added after cooking too. He's dropping off some samples to me of the Garlic Parm and the Cajun. Can't wait to check it out.

I like to marinate overnight in 2 gallon freezer bag with Italian salad dressing, Franks Red Hot and some soy sauce. Take out a couple hours before and drain off excess then dust liberally with Plowboys Yardbird--that stuff is awesome on chicken!

Some in my family likes off the smoker just like that...my oldest boy and myself like to put in a bowl of melted butter and some mild wing sauce or more Frank's after taking off the smoker.

Have used Louisiana mild wing sauce and Frank's Red Hot after and both are good. Have some Texas Pete's mild wing sauce for next time. Anyone have favorites for mild wing sauce? My forehead sweats with mild sauce so I don't dare go hotter!!

One of my favorite dry rubs for wings is a Jamaican Jerk Style rub.

This rub consists of Jamaican Allspice, Thyme, garlic powder, salt, pepper, dried chili powder (I prefer Chipolte chili powder, to give it a bit of a smokey taste) brown sugar, and a touch of cinnamon and ground cloves.

Thanks for all the ideas and products to try.

For those of you that use rubs, are you drizzling the wings with olive oil or something similar before you add the rub? I usually do not oil the wings before applying the rub, but this last batch seemed to be light on flavoring, and this was after I massaged the rub into the wings using a Ziplock bag as ShadowDriver suggested. The flavor was there, but it was muted. I wonder if a coating of oil would give the rub more "grip" on the wings.

I ordered some salt and vinegar and cajun Wing Dust today to try. Got my curiosity up. If nothing else, both should be excellent on french fries.

When I do wings at home it's always lemon pepper. Haven't found one I don't like, tbh.
Shaking them up in the bag seems to work as well as anything and it's one less thing to clean

Thanks for all the ideas and products to try.

For those of you that use rubs, are you drizzling the wings with olive oil or something similar before you add the rub? I usually do not oil the wings before applying the rub, but this last batch seemed to be light on flavoring, and this was after I massaged the rub into the wings using a Ziplock bag as ShadowDriver suggested. The flavor was there, but it was muted. I wonder if a coating of oil would give the rub more "grip" on the wings.

With the Kosmos Wing Dust, you apply it after cooking so there will be enough fat on the wings for the rub to stick. The bag says 'a little goes a long way' and they are right, as I discovered the 1st time using it without reading instructions :doh:

I’ve tried a few variations. Our favorite is white lightning double butter and garlic on the night before. Refrigerate on cooling rack overnight. (Dry brine) mix equal parts flour and cornstarch. Mix in onion powder and more garlic if you like. Toss wings, place on pit at 400. Sauce if you want to when done, but kids love them just like that. Plenty of salt and pepper flavor and crazy crispy. Last time we used pellet smoker. Wife said she tasted more smoke than when I use the kettle and vortex with wood chunk on the grate. I said you’re talking crazy. But honestly, she was right. Came out a bit better on the MAK.

Back