Brisket - Marinate/Season the night before?

Duner733

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Like a lot of us, we are looking to fine tune our briskets. It actually has my wife out of her skull at times.
So the question is, what effects would marinating and seasoning a brisket the night before? We are not wanting to do it for flavor. It is more about getting up and getting going in the am, giving the meat long enough to be seasoned and injected.

I appreciate any thoughts ahead of time.

Dan

The post looked lonely- but I don't have much to add.

Day of cook, I trim and season my brisket while my fire is establishing itself. I don't marinade or inject. If I were doing an early morning cook, I think the only thing I would do is trim it the night before-and that would save me all of 10 minutes- if I'm only cooking the one. But- it might be a really good idea keeping a super sharp boning knife out of my hands until I was fully awake. May give that a shot.

Hopefully, someone will be along who has more experience in what you are asking about.

Good luck, sir.

I season mine the night before both for the reason you mention and for taste (though I don't know if it makes any difference for the latter).

I salt mine the night before, since salt will actually penetrate the meat overnight.

I’ve prepped and seasoned the brisket the night before so I could get straight to business in the morning. However, when cooking on a stick burner or something you basically have an hour from the time you light it until the food can go on, so I used that in between time for seasoning the meat pretty often.

I'll sometimes inject the evening before especially when starting a butt or brisket at 4AM. I might add some pepper the night before so it really anchors, but a rub with salt will pull moistness out, so I season about an hour before it goes on the smoker.

I don't usually touch it the night before. I just trim and season it while the cooker is coming up to temp. (I don't inject).

I don't usually touch it the night before. I just trim and season it while the cooker is coming up to temp. (I don't inject).
I do the same. Never could tell any difference seasoning the night before. It just made everyone gripe about the fridge stinking.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I too do my prep work while the pit is coming up to temp. But if a brisket is a little on the lean side I will inject the night before to have it absorb that moisture through out. I season / rub 1 hr before it goes on the pit.

I have never been able to taste a difference if I did it the night before or when I was ready to throw on the smoker, I think you could get too much salt into something that was skinny like ribs ect, butts ect can handle a lot more rub . I dont like a hard bark as much as a flavorful 1. seems like I got a harder bark with a overnight soak with the seasonings. Texture of the meat is as important as the flavor imo. love it all lol

If you are injecting. I think the night before is the way to go. Season in the morning.

I watched an episode of a Myron Mixon brisket demo. He was asked about seasoning the night before. His reply made sense, don't put salt on the night before. It dries the meat out. 30 min ahead is fine for injection and seasoning. I have been trying it and it has improved my cooks.

Ideally I normally inject 12 - 17 hours before cooking. I like to rub 5 hours before cooking. Sometimes I don’t have the time and brisket turns out great. Maybe it doesn’t matter

I usually trim and season the night before. I haven't had any issues.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Back