MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-27-2022, 05:43 PM   #16
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

I personally don’t like traditional Buffalo wing sauces on grilled or smoked wings. I just don’t like how the sauce flavor interacts with the char or smoked flavor. Too much going on. I prefer that on fried as the Buffalo sauce is the dominant flavor and doesn’t have to compete with the bitterness of char. A friend of my brother used to make a sweet and spicy bourbon sauce that was really tasty. I tossed some grilled wings today in an herbed garlic butter and they were awesome. Now garlic butter and the char of grilled wings is about perfect. Season the wings with a spicy rub then toss them in garlic butter when you take off the pit and you have something good

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.

Last edited by chingador; 01-27-2022 at 05:50 PM..
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-27-2022, 09:44 PM   #17
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I grew up eating wings from Anchor bar.

Original Buffalo Sauce.....
1/2 cup Frank's® RedHot® sauce
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine

Heat gently over low heat, toss hot wings into sauce and shake to coat well.

ingredients like black pepper, white pepper, ground celery seed, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, or cayenne can be added for additional flavor/heat for your liking.

There are so many commercial variations on the market with a multitude of flavor varieties. The sky is the, limit for choices. If you don't care for a commercial sauce; doctor them up to your liking.

Like others have suggested simply add Habernaro Death Dust, Cayenne, Chipotle, or any other ground chili for flavor and heat as you like.

Blues Hog make a Raspberry Chipotle BBQ Sauce that's great on wings. I dust with extra ground chipotle before serving.

Don't be afraid to experiment to find what you like best.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-27-2022, 09:52 PM   #18
oldgfbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : G-man

Here is something a little different. Add agave syrup to cut the heat of the chipotles

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s....php?p=4544736

This was our most popular sauce on smoked wings.

Classic Smoke...."Sauce My Chihuahua"
oldgfbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2022, 10:07 PM   #19
LYU370
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't make these often enough, but when I do it's always in the oven. Might have to try it in the smoker one of these days. Ridiculously good! Although I don't cook them as long and I use parchment paper instead of foil.

Heroin Wings Yes they are that addictive!

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2022, 11:40 PM   #20
x01203
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Kurt

https://tvwbb.com/threads/chicken-wi...5/#post-980600

Cross-post here, so forgive me if not allowed.

This is pretty much our go-to for traditional, easy, buffalo wings. Make the sauce a couple hours ahead of time to chill.

I cut the tabasco and cayenne in half and it's just right. My 10 and 6 yr old boys will crush it, so not too spicy. Make sure you let the wings cool down a bit before you toss or it will break the sauce.

Hope this helps!

-Kurt
x01203 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2022, 12:43 AM   #21
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

I also use the original butter/franks hot sauce recipe but add a splash of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce to taste.

Old 01-28-2022, 07:19 AM   #22
kls44
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ken

Try Frank's Wing sauce, its Franks with butter already in it. Another good sauce is Hooter's wing sauce.

Old 01-28-2022, 09:03 AM   #23
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingador View Post
I personally don’t like traditional Buffalo wing sauces on grilled or smoked wings. I just don’t like how the sauce flavor interacts with the char or smoked flavor. Too much going on. I prefer that on fried as the Buffalo sauce is the dominant flavor and doesn’t have to compete with the bitterness of char. A friend of my brother used to make a sweet and spicy bourbon sauce that was really tasty. I tossed some grilled wings today in an herbed garlic butter and they were awesome. Now garlic butter and the char of grilled wings is about perfect. Season the wings with a spicy rub then toss them in garlic butter when you take off the pit and you have something good
I am really wondering if this may have something to do with it. I have loved some of the bbq wings I have done, but hot/buffalo wings I nor my wife have really cared for. I am going to work on one of these recipes and use it one smoked/grilled wings and fried wings and see if that may be the problem.
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2022, 09:39 AM   #24
Hinds15
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : BullseyeMetalWerks

I have been smoking and tossing them in kosmos buffalo hot wing dust.
Hinds15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2022, 10:40 AM   #25
Cat797
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ed

Joedy, I tend to agree that just tossing in a traditional buffalo after grilling is kind of meh...

What my son and I like is to make the traditional buffalo sauce (franks, butter, garlic, worch sauce), then add a touch of brown sugar to it to soften the sharp edges of the sauce. As the wings are grilling and getting near done, we dunk in the sauce and back on the grill. We do this 2-3 times. I really enjoy that.......

Old 01-28-2022, 11:11 AM   #26
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHeatBBQnSC View Post
I am really wondering if this may have something to do with it. I have loved some of the bbq wings I have done, but hot/buffalo wings I nor my wife have really cared for. I am going to work on one of these recipes and use it one smoked/grilled wings and fried wings and see if that may be the problem.
Maybe. I have had grilled wings at restaurants and every time they try to mimmick the original buffalo or even a hot nashville, it just misses the mark because the char flavor competes or just gets in the way. That is why I leave those flavors exclusively to fried chicken. Which is awesome.

It is the same reason I don't add smoked meat to chili.

Another sauce I love on smoked wings is Alabama white sauce. Toss them in it when you pull the wings off of the pit and it is really great. I mix a cup each of mayo and apple cider vinegar and add a couple tablespoons of course black pepper, a couple tbs lemon juice and whatever else I feel like. Generally I will add garlic powder, fresh or dried herbs (love tarragon in this), horseradish etc. Oh, yeah, some cayenne works here too. A bit messy though.

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2022, 11:12 AM   #27
ttkt57
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill Bryant

1 part Frank's original
1 part butter (cut into small pieces)

Heat Frank's in a double boiler.
Add cold butter one piece at a time, stirring, until you get a smooth emulsion.

If you do this in a pan you risk getting the mixture too hot which will make the butter separate or "break" and produce a gritty or granular texture. Keep the temp low and you will get a smooth wing sauce.

Add cayenne powder for more heat.

This is about as authentic a Buffalo sauce as you can make.

If the sauce "breaks" later, put it in a blender and it will usually smooth out again.

Old 01-28-2022, 04:38 PM   #28
shares
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHeatBBQnSC View Post
Jalapeno pepper jelly? What is this yummy goodness I have never heard of? What grocery stores do you find it at?
It should be readily available at most, if not all grocery stores - look in the same area as the other jams and jellys. Sometimes you see green, but go for the red pepper jelly. Because who wants green wings...

And although you can mix it with any bbq sauce, seriously, don't dismiss the Bullseye. There's something amazing that happens to it when it cooks down. The mix of the two is more than the sum.

www.TooAshamedToName.com - Competition BBQ Team
shares is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2022, 06:29 PM   #29
oldgfbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : G-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYU370 View Post
I don't make these often enough, but when I do it's always in the oven. Might have to try it in the smoker one of these days. Ridiculously good! Although I don't cook them as long and I use parchment paper instead of foil.

Heroin Wings Yes they are that addictive!
That recipe does sound good. thanks. G

Classic Smoke...."Sauce My Chihuahua"
oldgfbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2022, 08:47 AM   #30
Learning to BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Great thread as I'm looking forward to wings tonight and am out of habanero death dust. Gonna try some of the ideas here to mix it up.

UDS, 22" Weber Original kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
Learning to BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote