MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-16-2021, 02:02 PM   #16
Kaptain Kadian
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
I was under the impression that fat dripping down to the coals giving your meat that 'ol fashion Grandpaws taste and aroma was what the inventor of the UDS was all about.
Why block it off with a heat shield?
Ed
It evens out the temperature in the drum. The holes still allow some drippings to get to the fire and give you that flavor. It also decreases the chances of having too much drippings hitting the fire and putting it out or causing a flame up. It also protects the bottom of the meat to prevent charting. You can also just take it out and not use it. I just like the option of using it.

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-17-2021, 07:15 PM   #17
Kaptain Kadian
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kynmo2010 View Post
Nice drum smokers. I have a uds I made 8 years a go or so and need to make another. I like your charcoal basket. I can't make out the pic, but where did you buy the bottom slide vent? Also, do you just have 1 vent on bottom and does that provide enough air flow? Also, what is the nut/coupler on the top left hand side of the drum?
Just an update. I seasoned them yesterday for my coworkers. I got both of them up to over 450 to cure the paint with just the one slide and the heat deflector in place.

Thanks from:--->