MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
btcg
Babbling Farker

Default Backwood's Pit Bull: IN ACTION (1st cook)

So,

Yesterday, I tried out the Backwood's Pit Bull.

The Backwood's Pit Bull is one of 3 new grills offered by Backwood's Smokers: (arranged by size-smallest to largest) the Chicken Little, the Pit Bull, and the Boss Hog.

At first glance, you might do well to sit down... I'll be frank: they're not cheap.

But neither is the construction. I have both seen and cooked on the Chicken Little and the Pit Bull, and believe me, these are solidly built grills.

Yesterday, I took my Pit Bull on its first venture into cooking. At my better half's request, we prepped and cooked brussel sprouts, small white potatoes, and hamburger patties (80/20 - the good ones from our local Giant Food Store).

Now, I'll be candid: if you've read any of my threads involving my cooks, you'll be aware of the fact that in my home, healthy cooking techniques are promoted. And now, the candid part: these techniques are promoted often times... whether I like it, or not. If the reader is married, you need do no more than nod in agreement, and continue reading. If you're not yet married, well, let's just say, you'll find out exactly what I'm alluding to plenty soon enough.

So our spicing consisted of a quick visit to our small garden and selecting a good portion of tarragon and basil, which we used on the vegetables, along with a very small amount of non-salted butter. The potatoes and brussel sprouts were then cut in half, and placed in a folded piece of aluminum foil. I'll have to check with Terry about this, but we may have used only the tarragon, and none of the basil in this cook.

As for the fire, I chose 4 or 5 good-sized pieces of grapewood, and my faithful standby: Kingsford Blue.

I started the fire (in the classic pyramid style using Weber parafin cubes), and let it burn until the coals were fully white, adding fuel to it only once, and built a nice, full bed of coals (this took just under an hour). Normally, I would not need any additional charcoal after the coals were fully white, but this was my first burn, and I wanted to ensure a good, long inital fire for its first cook. The previous day (saturday), I had fully hand rubbed the entire grill using canola oil, and, as Backwoods had test cooked in the rig while developing the rotisserie, I was good to go sunday.

First time out, you wonder as to the results.In retrospect, I had nothing to fear. I adjusted the charcoal bed to about mid-way, and put the veggies on first. I had a good high heat: about 500 to 550 degrees.

After somewhere near 25 minutes, I adjusted the charcoal bed to its highest position, and put the burgers on. Burger patties such as these can be tricky to cook. We enjoy our burgers a bit on the 'rare' side, and it's quite easy to over-cook them, and ruin them. To my surprise, all 4 burgers were done and resting on my serving platter in less than 2 minutes, and with some pretty darn good looking grill marks. The temperature I cooked them at appeared to be in the 550 to 600 degree range.

I took the food in, and we made our plates. This was the 'acid' test: would the food quality rate with my better half?

A few bites in, and I saw her eyes close slightly and the famous "Polino smile" come out: the food was amazing!

I have been told that very high heat is one of the secrets of restaurants such as Ruth's Chris Steakhouse: they literally sear in the flavor. And the Pit Bull, with the ability to adjust that bed of charcoals so that they sit directly underneath the food, gives the cokk this same ability. believe me, a little tarragon was all that was needed.

I saw the future last night, and it will involve some darn good meals prepared by me for my lady.

And... I had a deja-vu moment.

My family didn't have much money while I was growing up. I learned to play guitar on a very cheap Kmart guitar, and after a time, I got fairly good at it.

But when I'd finally saved enough money to be able to afford my first Fender guitar, halfway through a song that I found to be quite difficult to play... I suddenly realized was coming much easier on my new guitar. Such was the difference in the action and string tension.

I remembered that, as I cooked on my new Backwood's grill. The food, like my playing had, had improved, as the quality of the instrument was better. When you contemplate whether the extra few dollars will be worthwhile to spend, consider this. Quality does cost.... but it also pays!

Picture results may be viewed here:

http://sdrv.ms/PAnqbt

Old 07-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yep. You do get what you pay for. Glad your new cooker rocked it for you Bill!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Yep. You do get what you pay for. Glad your new cooker rocked it for you Bill!

Thanks Guerr,

I think buying the custom stand is a good move, too.

It was supposed to just be my father's Day present. Last night, Terry informed me that it was my Father's Day/Birthday present.

But I ain't complainin.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
gtr

Sweet pix! Glad to hear you're enjoying the new rig. You do get what you pay for - buy once, cry once!

Are you gonna run the ribolator on that thing? I just did a maiden voyage on my ribolator and loved it!

I only wish you hadn't implanted the thought of my needing/wanting an expensive new grill in my head....
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Thanks for the report and picture!

Do you think it would be possible to build the fire off to one side to create a direct and indirect area for reverse searing? It looks like there would be room from the pictures.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
deguerre

Just finished looking at the pics. You nailed those burgers! Now, I wanna see the rotis in action.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Sweet pix! Glad to hear you're enjoying the new rig. You do get what you pay for - buy once, cry once!

Are you gonna run the ribolator on that thing? I just did a maiden voyage on my ribolator and loved it!

I only wish you hadn't implanted the thought of my needing/wanting an expensive new grill in my head....

You are under my power..... (evil laugh).

Seriously though, sometimes you want something, end up getting it, and end up disappointed.

Not this time!

Old 07-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Thanks for the report and picture!

Do you think it would be possible to build the fire off to one side to create a direct and indirect area for reverse searing? It looks like there would be room from the pictures.
Andy and I discussed something like that and another type of modification that he's working on it for his Chicken Little. When he reads this, maybe he can chime in.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Just finished looking at the pics. You nailed those burgers! Now, I wanna see the rotis in action.
The burgers cooked so quickly it amazed me. That's exactly the way we like em. Those brussel sprouts rocked too.

They've really got something there with these grills.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Promised Michael that i'd use the ribolater and post some pics of it, next. Hopin I can rig it up to use on this grill. If not, I do have the ring for the Weber.

I'll try to use the pit bull rotisserie before the weekend, and will post some more pics.

When I first bought the Cajun Bandit rotisserie and ring, I went whole hog and ordered a few baskets that work with the rotisserie. I dug those out yesterday too, and will try those out as well.

I told Terry: "Hey hon, I don't even have to spend any more money, I bought these baskets a couple years ago, and finally will be using them."

I'll post pics of those in action, too.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #11
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Congrats on the first of many successful cooks on that beast. The burgers look great.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #12
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
Congrats on the first of many successful cooks on that beast. The burgers look great.
Thanks Jason!

One of our brothers (I think he goes by How-dee-do) picked up a Hasty-Bake grill a few years ago (and he got it for a steal, if I remember correctly). The Hasty-Bake also allows you to raise/lower the charcoal bed. It makes a major difference.

Tell you what... Andy is willing to sell his used Chicken Little, and if you're in a comp team, it's something to seriously consider. You could crisp up your chicken skin in no-time, with amazing results. The grill mark ability alone that these grills give you is worthwhile for a comp team.

My steaks, burgers, roasts & such have just improved dramatically thanks to Mike & Kathy at Backwoods.

Tags
Backwoods Pit Bull, Grill, Pictures