Question 'bout UDS's

Smoke & Beers

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hi guys...newbie here. I started smokin' this summer with a wally-world Brinkmann and stumbled across your board last week and immediately fell head over heals for your UDS's!
I'm planning on building one in the next couple of weeks, but have a few questions.
One...do you not use a water pan? this doesn't dry out the meat?
Two...if there's no water pan, is there a drip pan?
Three...what's the best way to clean these out? I saw someone mention shop vac. but isn't there drippings...or do they get captured in a pan...or dissintigrated in the fire?

Thanks in advance.

Great, another K-State fan here. No drip pan or water pan is needed. You will understand when you get yours built and use it. It is a lot easier to maintain temps than your Brinkmann and easier on the fuel as well.

Good to hear it's easier to maintain temps...kinda disrupts the drinking when you have to keep stokin' the fire or shuttin' it down:-D

Can't wait to get my USD built.

You'd better post a how-to when you build the USD. :icon_devil:-D:mrgreen::tongue:

I found it funny.

Don't worry...I will.
Just found the "novel" thread on the UDS's...gonna have some reading to do when I get home from work tonight!

i sit a colander on my firebox and it dissipates the heat very well. also lets the drippings drip down into the fire. you can put 10 lbs of coal in that bugger and it will stay 200-250 all day long. if fact you might get drunk waiting on it!!:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Back