DFW Large Big Green Egg Score -$300

Keller Steeler

Full Fledged Farker
$300 and a 40 minute drive later and this egg posted on Craigslist came home with me. :-D Now I am about to start playing.

DSC01221.jpg

This egg is about a year old and in great condition except the daisy wheel - it has a little rust. Also, when I open the lid the wheel moves a little - I have no idea, but it seems to me the wheel should not open any - am I right on this?

I know I am going to buy a placesetter and probably the stand with wheels - what else would you recommend?

Finally, what is this ashtray looking thing? I am guessing the two metal bars are for moving the grate - please let me know if i am wrong.

DSC01222.jpg

I will start researching later, but right now I have to tinker.

The stainless steel ashtray thing is actually an upright chicken roaster, we have a couple, but I prefer the Bayou Classic Chik Can holders.

BTW - nice score!

Nice score but I don't think the ashtray has anything to do with this type of smoking and is not a BGE accessory.
Do a little study here before you get going. In this order and you will get a full understanding of how to best use your new egg.
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/infocentral.htm
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

You will find the answer to your moving daisywheel question and how to align the top hinge screw to the front so the top doesn't move when you open the lid, how to use a grill gripper properly and others!!!

that's an ashtray! hahaa

great deal. spray that dual function metal top with pam and get cookin. if you rotate the top to the correct position, it will stay as you set it. the naked whiz has photos explaining this procedure.........

Be very very careful when handling your Egg when it is on the ground because it has a vicious bite that the venom gives you a very intense feeling of needing more Eggs!:shock:
RTD & I are doomed!:icon_cool
p1010047.jpg

that's an ashtray! hahaa

great deal. spray that dual function metal top with pam and get cookin. if you rotate the top to the correct position, it will stay as you set it. the naked whiz has photos explaining this procedure.........

Thanks Rick - and BTW it is an upright chicken roaster - I put it together.

Kids and Wife can't wait for Pizza - I am sure I will go through about a 1,000 of your posts between now and next weekend.

Be very very careful when handling your Egg when it is on the ground because it has a vicious bite that the venom gives you a very intense feeling of needing more Eggs!:shock:
RTD & I are doomed!:icon_cool
p1010047.jpg

It better not bite or the wife will kill it. She says - like most of you have heard - "Why do you need another grill/smoker?" Answer - it was only $300 and a heck of a deal. She doesn't question when the food comes off though.

that might be a chicken stand, but it would make a mighty fine ashtray! 8)

have fun with the new egg. i use the plate setter and pizza stone when i do pizzas. you'll need an ashtool and a thirdeye thirdhand gridlifter also. that's about all you really need.

that might be a chicken stand, but it would make a mighty fine ashtray! 8)

have fun with the new egg. i use the plate setter and pizza stone when i do pizzas. you'll need an ashtool and a thirdeye thirdhand gridlifter also. that's about all you really need.

Thanks - I will send a PM to Thirdeye. i know what I am doing on my lunch break tomorrow.

Now you said that is all I really need in Italics - what don't I need, but are nice to have? This egg is kind of a celebration for selling our mineral rights.

other nice to have items include:
cast iron grid (you can make one from the two piece charbroil gasser grid)
cast iron skillets with the handle cut off
cast iron dutch ovens
assortment of disposable grilling screens
wooden table
stoker or bbq guru
orka oven mitts
kitchen aide mixer
food processor
weber stainless steel 18" grid
adjustible rigs from tjv at http://eggaccessories.com/
weed burner
200 pounds of lump charcoal

you get the idea and you might have some of that already

I will bet if you sand that top down and paint with some Hi-Temp stove paint it will look like new. Good find!

It needs to be seasoned like a cast iron skillet. I'd hit it with a wire wheel. Fire up the egg, get it about 500 degrees, oil the daisy wheel and put it in the egg. Put the ceramic top on and check on it in a couple of hours.

Back