MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
saychz316
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Lump frustrations, need Kamado help.

To the Bretheren,

I currently own a few cookers. One of my favorites is my Vision Kamado I picked up from Costco last year. It took some learning, I am far from a master at it, but I can make some really tasty food with it. The Kamado is a really powerful tool in the backyard cooking world.

That being said. Lump charcoal is getting the best of me it seems. I can't seem to find any consistency in the bags. By consistency, I mean volume or size. I have tried Royal Oak. Really good stuff, but one bag will have nice decent size "lumps", and the next will look like a bag of 1" crumbs when I open it up. I have tried Frontier from Lowes, cooking consistency was a bit off, but not too bad. I have tried the hardwood lump at BBQ's galore and it was wet, dense, horrible burning lump. I tossed the bag after 2 cooks with it. But the common thread is size consistency. I understand that there are all different sizes in the bag due to it not being a manufactured product like briquettes, but an entire 20# bag of crumbs with maybe 5 decent size pieces to set a base with is getting tiresome.

I know the preferred method of fuel is lump charcoal for these cookers. Is it a crime to use kingsford in these things? Does it really ruin the ceramic and change the dynamics of the cooker and taste of the food? My cooker is very well seasoned by now, and I am really leaning toward just using kingsford blue exclusively now. I use it in my other cookers with wood chunks, and I absolutely love the way they work, consistently burn, and are consistent bag after bag.

The Royal Oak red bags I get from Home Depot here in Orange County are by far the best I have used in terms of lump, but I am just tired of spending the money on a 4 or 5 bag purchase, and having 2-3 of those bags being mostly crumbs that plug up the bottom grate.

Thanks in advance. Im headed to the Depot now to get some stuff for a home project, gonna give the lump one last go, but I think I am pretty much convinced on making the switch to briquettes all across the board in my cookers.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
Novass
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Greg

I have real good luck with B&B lump. I get it from either central market or academy sports here I d/fw area. don't know bout CA though.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
loco_engr
is one Smokin' Farker

Might try to feel the bag 1st

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-16-2014, 02:37 PM   #4
spyre
On the road to being a farker

I use this in my kamado joe. It is a really good mix with a lot of really big awesome chunks and good medium size ones too. Burns really cleanly, lasts great for 15 hour smokes or crazy hot steak/pizza searing. I've gone thru 4 of the 35lb bags and all have been consistent. Hard to beat having it delivered right to your door two and not having to deal with putting it in your car or anything like that.

spyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2014, 02:38 PM   #5
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco_engr View Post
Might try to feel the bag 1st
Great suggestion. I always do this - if I'm feeling a lot of dust and filler either on the bottom of the bag or on the sides, it's going to be a dud.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2014, 02:39 PM   #6
Wickedcajun
is One Chatty Farker

Cajun Ty turned me on to Ozark Oak for the same reason... I've only used one bag... Royal oak was my favorite for flaver, but I also had issues with the size... I guess Size does matter... Huh??? Lol

Old 08-16-2014, 02:45 PM   #7
chuMP
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Gino
Default my lump adventure, don't use briquettes

I have the Vision as well. At first I experimented with the stuff I could find locally. Then I did some research and I decided to order some stuff from Amazon. The Amazon Prime membership got me free shipping, and the range of products was great. After a little shopping and experimentation I found a product I really like. Good mild smoke from just the lump, excellent size consistency, and clean burning with very little popping. Very inexpensive as well. Comes in 10 lb bags. Only catch is that it ships in bundles of 5, so 50lbs to get it and see if it is gonna work for you. The name of the lump is Hasty Bake.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:52 PM   #8
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Ive nevervhad an issue with RO but I prefer Cowboy, yes Cowboy. Now here and there I get small pieces but I dump it all in and never had an issue in the kamado or otherwise.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2014, 05:02 PM   #9
toys4dlr
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : David

I like to dump the bags into a storage container and sort them by size. that has helped get rid of the fines in the bag that clog up the holes.

Toys 4 BBQ'N Competition BBQ Team
4x Hunsaker Drum Smokers
FEC 100 (sold), FEC 120 (sold), FEC 240, FEC 500 (sold), PG 500
Shirley Fab 52 x 24 Patio (sold)
250 gallon trailered Moberg
toys4dlr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2014, 05:27 PM   #11
smoke ninja

I like the bags of lump from gfs. The pieces are not large but are consistent. The whole bag is usable

Old 08-17-2014, 08:26 AM   #12
randygwatkins
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Check out this website

For all things "lump"...take a look at www.nakedwhiz.com Some of the reviews are a bit old, but you can get a good idea of the differences between brands, as well as some other useful info.
Good luck!
randygwatkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2014, 04:46 PM   #13
Webee
Got Wood.

I have a 40 year old Kamado that i inherited(aquired, took, absconded with, truth be told) from my parents, and it has never seen lump. I KNOW that lump is the prefered way to cook, but since my original owners manual said briquettes, that is what was always used. I've had it for the last 30 years, and to be honest, I only heard about lump after my brother purchased a BGE. I can say this-1) Everything that I have cooked on it has always tasted great. 2) You deal with a lot of ash, and although I've never had ash blow up onto my meat, I suppose i can happen. I am leary of lump because I am VERY protective of my Kamado, and was worried about higher heat possibly causing cracks, but I have been told by the Brethren that this wont happen, so I plan on trying it. Just wanted to add my 2 cents on the taste issue.
Webee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2014, 05:11 PM   #14
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

I don't have a Kamando but I've had a WSM for close to four years. I bought some Cowboy lump which really sucked. I could see pieces of door jamb trim and other construction filler in the bag. As you said, with other brands it's been mostly crumbs dust. I went with KBB and never looked back. Light it right and give it time to ash over properly, there no after taste.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2014, 07:17 PM   #15
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Seems like a rerun thread to me.