MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:44 PM   #1
smoker jayson
On the road to being a farker

Default smokey mountain

Just got the 22.5 smokey mountain for my birthday gift. Are there any tips or tricks or need to buy accessories that i need to know about ?

Old 01-03-2016, 01:57 PM   #2
Queencity
Knows what a fatty is.

Hi smoker jayson. I got the 18.5 wsm. I suggest cooking on it a few times and get to know how it works. Its very easy and efficient. Definately need a good probe thermometer. Dont trust the one on the lid. Foil the the water pan for easy cleanup if you dont use it. Put it away with all the vents opens open to help avoid mold. You're gonna really enjoy it!!
Queencity is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-03-2016, 02:08 PM   #3
Right on Q
is One Chatty Farker

Overall a great cooker for the money.

This was already mentioned but don't trust the temp on the lid. Use your own probe through the silicone grommet.

It runs very evenly top to bottom because it's a vertical smoker.

Try it with and without water in the pan and see which you like best. (I don't use any)

It runs great without a PID but it's basically foolproof with one.

Enjoy your new toy!!

Old 01-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #4
Joe Black
Babbling Farker

WSM is a very good smoker and very user friendly. Besides the digital therm probe, you might like to put handles on the sides of the center section to aid in removal and replacement for cleaning and loading with fuel. One other idea is to buy another coal grate and install at 90* from the other to keep small coals from falling through. Another way is to cut expanded metal to fill this job. Also, don't use Kingsford charcoal. The excess ash will clog the grate and cause the fire to smother. I used Royal Oak lump in mine. It burns hotter, cleaner and with much less ash.

Good luck and good smokin', Joe
Joe Black is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2016, 02:27 PM   #5
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoker jayson View Post
Just got the 22.5 smokey mountain for my birthday gift. Are there any tips or tricks or need to buy accessories that i need to know about ?
http://virtualweberbullet.com/
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-03-2016, 02:31 PM   #6
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you are going to use the water pan, fill it with sand and cover with a couple layers of aluminum foil. Much easier clean up.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2016, 02:33 PM   #7
cheez59
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The only accessory I would highly recommend is the Unknown BBQ hinge. It is worth every penny that it costs.
Lone Star Grillz mini insulated cabinet.Lonestar Grillz 20x42 offset. Broil King Baron Gasser, Vortex and Slow & Sear Plus, Weber 26" Original Premium, Weber Smoky Joe, Cajun Fryer 8-1/2 & 4 Gallon, The Big Easy oil-less fryer, BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud, BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, Thermoworks Smoke, Maverick XR-50
cheez59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2016, 02:54 PM   #8
Pocchampion
Full Fledged Farker

Practice practice practice. I cooked a few pork butts first and really coated the inside with BBQ goodness. Seals the WSM up nicely. It will not take long for you to get it dialed in.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:02 PM   #9
Harbormaster

Name/Nickname : Clark

There aren't many "must do" mods for WSMs. They are pretty good right out of the box.I add handles to the center sections of mine and a second charcoal grate.

As mentioned above, foil the water pan whether you use water or not. Catch temps on the way up. Top vent wide open, control temp with bottom vents. Don't trust the factory thermo. Some smoke is going to leak around the door. Don't worry about it if your fire snuffs when you close all of the vents.

Enjoy the WSM. Great cooker.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2016, 04:35 PM   #10
KevinJ

I have have an 18.5 and I added 3" casters to the legs so I can move it around when assembled, a Cajun Bandit Stainless Steel door with compression latch and Unknown BBQ lid hinge. I also permanently attached the charcoal ring to the charcoal grate and replaced the water pan with a clay saucer since I don't use water when I cook.

When starting the fire I use the Minion Method starting with about 20-25 coals in the chimney, leave all the vents open till I get within 15 degrees of my target temp, shut 2 of the bottom vents down and control the temp with the one open bottom vent. I also like to let it run at temp for about an hour before putting on the meat so I have a clean smoke.
WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2016, 05:33 PM   #11
S.Six
Full Fledged Farker

I'll just second a lot of wahts been said. I have an 18.5"wsm and the 22.5"wsm, love'em both. My biggest problem with the 22.5"wsm was the door, I replaced it with the cajun Bandit ss door. I also replaced the handle with a compression latch. Try with water a few times and w/o water a few times. I run w/o now and haven't looked back. a good digital thermometer will help beyond words. As to the don't use kingsford guy I have to really disagree. I, and any others, use kingsford all the time with no problems. just clean out the ash b4 your cook. One of Webers ash shovels made for the wsm are worth the $13. Also if you don't already have one get a weber chimney. And enjoy! Also try cooking things like chicken pieces with the water pan removed.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:54 PM   #12
el_matt
Babbling Farker

First thing to do, call Weber, and register your cooker. Then if you need parts later, they already know exactly what you have. Their customer service is second to none, registering makes it even better.

I'll second the Weber chimney. Don't waste your money, on a cheaper one, you'll buy, at least, 3-4 of those to every Weber chimney. Not only is it a better product, it's larger, and allows for more coals. I have both the standard and mini sizes. I use the mini, a lot more, than I planned on.

In case it hasn't been mentioned, the WSM will leak for the first few cooks. After it gets nice and seasoned, it'll leak less, and be easier to control temps.

Matt

Old 01-03-2016, 05:57 PM   #13
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakdung View Post
This about covers any questions you may have. Congratulations!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2016, 06:04 PM   #14
smoker jayson
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez59 View Post
The only accessory I would highly recommend is the Unknown BBQ hinge. It is worth every penny that it costs.
Do you have a link?

Old 01-03-2016, 06:07 PM   #15
el_matt
Babbling Farker

Www.unknownbbq.com

Matt