BBQ Guru DigiQ Dx2 Help

Stephen24

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I tried this out yesterday and I could not get it to maintain a high enough temp 375 f.

I was doing a high heat brisket
- 15 lbs Stubs
- Minion method ( hole in the middle and started with about 50 briquettes)
- 22" Weber Smokey Mountain
- Water in the pan

- I needed to open the vents on the bottom to stay around 350
- The unit seemed to be cycling when I set it to 350
- I opened the door to get it to 400 to see if it could maintain the temp with the vents closed and it dropped like a rock
- The fan was running and pushed all the in
- I unplugged everything and plugged back in
- I tried turning off the open lid feature

Any thoughts?

I'm I expecting too much?
Tried calling the company yesterday and today about 6 times and my favorite "Voicemail"

Thanks for any help you guys can offer

There's no need for the minion method if you're going for temps of 375. Start with more lit coals. Also, there's no need for water in the pan.

So just pile the coals in and spread a full chimney over them?

Isn't 1 full bag of Stubbs 15 lbs enough? Or how much more should I use for a high temp cook?

Guru's do not make magic happen, you needed more lit coals than your WSM had.

Think its going to be a bit of a challenge to get a WSM up to 375. All but impossible I would think with water in the pan. Are you burning Lump charcoal? Think that should help with that temp goal as well. Some pictures are always great, just because I like looking at briskets;-)

I would fill up your charcoal basket 3/4 way and dump a full lit chimney of coals over them. Open up all your vents 100% and dial the bottom ones back down as needed - keep the top one completely open the whole time. 375 is pretty hot for brisket, your burn time might be lower than otherwise so be prepared to add charcoal if needed.

If ditch the water as well and your temps should get higher quicker.

Back