MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:23 AM   #1
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default ***The Hanging and Spinning Meat Appreciation Thread***

This isn't an anti PBC thread but rather a place where people can post and share their experiences with hanging or even spinning meats in various style cookers. Some are making their own hanging hooks so this could be a great resource for that as well.

Ebijack has a great setup he made and can turn out some incredible looking Q in it.

Ssv even though he owns a PBC just used his LSG warmer to hang a prime brisket and some chicken.

So post your hanging cooks, share and discuss ideas and ask questions!

Here's some pics of the cookers I've used to hang some meats and some cooks.

Jumbo mini aka Jimmy

Hanging a bone in butt start to finish (no pulling and foiling)

My vertical wood burner rotisserie I also use for things like hanging baked potatoes and corn on the cob while i'm rotissering.

The corn now i just hang on the sides

Chicken and potatoes in the mini wsm

Steaks and kabobs on the jimmy (using hinged grate)

Brussels sprouts kabobs on the wood roti

Shoulder CSR's on the Jimy

Corn sitting above the hanging CSR's

Chicken drums on the hinged grate and kabobs hanging

I've used the UDS on some cooks too but the smaller cookers do just fine so I usually stick with them.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]

Last edited by Fwismoker; 07-14-2015 at 11:51 AM..
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
PaSmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

looks like you're just laying rods across top of cooker...any issue with temps secondary to too much airflow?...good lookin' grub btw!!
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Big Drum Smoker,Stainless Steel Gasser, Mini "UDS", Weber Jumbo Joe, [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ORANGE[/COLOR] Kamado Cadet, Weber OTS, Weber "Baby Q", Blackstone Pizza Oven, Blackstone Griddle, Turkey Fryer/"Low Country Boil Maker" [/FONT],[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Big Easy Oil-Less Turkey Fryer[/FONT], [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]various other nonsense devices[/FONT]
[LEFT][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Comic Sans MS]“I make it a rule never to smoke more than one cigar at a time.” Mark Twain [COLOR=red](Obviously doesn't apply to fatties)[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
PaSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaSmoker View Post
looks like you're just laying rods across top of cooker...any issue with temps secondary to too much airflow?...good lookin' grub btw!!
Yes I do that on the mini wsm and when i hang butts or when i'm gonna do a bunch of chickens. I also use that hinged grate on some cooks because it's nice to grate cook at the same time.

No problem with air flow, actually I didn't need much or sometimes no bottom air. It gets a great convection and did awesome in the mini and jumbo.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:37 AM   #4
PaSmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
Yes I do that on the mini wsm and when i hang butts or when i'm gonna do a bunch of chickens. I also use that hinged grate on some cooks because it's nice to grate cook at the same time.

No problem with air flow, actually I didn't need much or sometimes no bottom air. It gets a great convection and did awesome in the mini and jumbo.
might have to give it a go on the mini with chicken halves...
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Big Drum Smoker,Stainless Steel Gasser, Mini "UDS", Weber Jumbo Joe, [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ORANGE[/COLOR] Kamado Cadet, Weber OTS, Weber "Baby Q", Blackstone Pizza Oven, Blackstone Griddle, Turkey Fryer/"Low Country Boil Maker" [/FONT],[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Big Easy Oil-Less Turkey Fryer[/FONT], [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]various other nonsense devices[/FONT]
[LEFT][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Comic Sans MS]“I make it a rule never to smoke more than one cigar at a time.” Mark Twain [COLOR=red](Obviously doesn't apply to fatties)[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
PaSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #5
Fwismoker

Quote:
might have to give it a go on the mini with chicken halves...
Yea it'll work great, just no diffuser.

I'd use air to bottom vent air to start but you might not need it after it really heats up. Post pics!

Old 07-14-2015, 11:49 AM   #6
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Nice! I'll get some photos added later. I have to admit, I really didn't think there would be much of a flavor profile difference from laying on a grate to hanging, but there really is a difference being basted in it's own juices while things cook/smoke. The chuck roasts were probably the biggest difference besides the amazing ribs.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-14-2015, 05:14 PM   #7
Fwismoker

Quote:
Did another test today, and you definitely won't get too much airflow.

Depending on the temps you want, and how much charcoal you load and light will depend on if or how much bottom air i use.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:18 PM   #8
Fwismoker

This was another test using the holy diffuser, rebar on top but cooking hotter. 400*

Old 07-14-2015, 06:09 PM   #9
Decoy205
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Awesome! Although the thread needs a snappier title like how's your meat hangin lol.
Decoy205 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:07 PM   #10
93vpmod
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks, I liked the hinged grate version of "hanging."
93vpmod is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-14-2015, 07:34 PM   #11
c farmer
Babbling Farker

Nice

Gold mini wsm 1st gen mes, amazin dust and pellet smoker, and the uds.

Double O' Seven == Rotisserie/Grill/Smoker Hybrid and offset.
c farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2015, 08:01 PM   #12
TexasRT
Full Fledged Farker

Definitely going to try hanging in the UDS soon.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:42 PM   #13
haussanator
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Haussanator

Good looking hanging cook!
haussanator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2015, 11:28 PM   #14
mikemci
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
Nice! I'll get some photos added later. I have to admit, I really didn't think there would be much of a flavor profile difference from laying on a grate to hanging, but there really is a difference being basted in it's own juices while things cook/smoke. The chuck roasts were probably the biggest difference besides the amazing ribs.
Thanks for answering before I asked if this hanging business was only about increasing capacity or if the finished product was improved. I'll have to try this on chicken halves. Having a hard time getting a moist bird with snappy skin.
red Thermapen

There are two kinds of countries in the world, those that use the metric system and the one that sent men to the moon and back.
mikemci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2015, 04:04 AM   #15
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Well I will be making a hanging grate for my mini pretty soon. I just prefer to have the lid in place as I know I could knock those re-bar rods right off at the worst moment. My first UDS grate I found using the angle metal upside down like V, allows me to place and remove the hooks without being able to knock the hooks off while trying to grab the hooks with a handle. I allowed a lot of room to get large pieces of ribs/roasts etc on both sides of each "rod" so to speak. My second grate I made ( still have to try it for bacon) mostly for hanging lots of strips of bacon over the rods. I hung chops on this grate last weekend, just didn't get any photos. Any questions, just ask.

Last edited by ebijack; 07-15-2015 at 05:04 AM..
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Tags
fire pits, hanging without horseshoes, meat hanging, non PBC, PBC, rotisserie, spinning