Its not a "technicality", its called food safety. Holding food above 135F slows the rate of bacterial growth, it doesnt stop it. Its been shown that within 4hrs, bacterial growth is to the point of being unsafe. They may not wait out 4hrs to see how long you are holding food, but if people start calling in about getting sick to the HD, they will probably come asking for your time and temp logs for holding food, both hot and cold.

Here is what the USDA says "In addition, the Committee concluded that a minimum temperature of 135 degrees for a maximum of 8 hours, or a minimum temperature of 140 degrees Fahrenheit indefinitely also would be adequate to ensure food safety."
https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/footer/!ut/p/a0/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOJNAyxdDU28DbwsvIxdDDzDnA3NLIONjdzCjPQLsh0VAZaJ_MY!/?1dmy&current=true&urile=wcm%3Apath%3A%2Ffsis-content%2Finternet%2Fmain%2Ftopics%2Fregulations%2Fadvisory-committees%2Fnacmcf-reports%2Fnacmcf-report-hot-holding-2002

What you need to make sure of is that the coolest part of your food is always above 140 degrees while holding. I put probes inside the meat and also the outside of the meat to monitor temps. I also err on the side of caution and keep my holding cabinets well above 140 degrees.

I believe the FDA says 4hrs. I could be wrong. The point was it's about food safety, not technicalities and the HD trying to "catch" you. Every inspector, that I've met, city, county, state, Department of Ag, and FDA, are there to ensure proper food safety procedures are in place and if not then to correct the problem. And there is a reason behind the procedures.

ynotfehc - I think maybe you are misinterpreting the FDA rules. Or maybe I am. But they say that you can keep cooked food hot held as long as its 135 degrees or greater and they do not state a time limit 3-501.16 and when you remove it from hot holding for service that you have 4 hours from that point to serve it or discard it 3-501.19 (B)
Thats how I interpret the rules but if I am not a health inspector and you have to follow their rules.

I'll look for it. I saw it a few months ago, thought it was FDAs rules for hot holding. In Minnesota its 4hrs, like the other member posted. Different states using the same number had to come from somewhere.

This is what you also posted from 2002, question 4. This could be where that number is coming from. USDA, FDA and individual states aren't always on the same page. It also says temperature of 130 for 4hrs and 8hrs for 135. States are supposed to at a minimum meet the FDA standards, but can make them stricter. Either way, gotta follow local regulations. I'll keep looking tho.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/porta...nacmcf-reports/nacmcf-report-hot-holding-2002

I use CVAPs for holding our meats. They work wonders and I have held meat that long in them (big cuts anyway). But you have to be careful because local health departments differ. In some cases they say hot food can only be held for 4 hours before being tossed. Granted, many places may skirt rules like this when it comes to BBQ, but if you have a strict health department, or a stickler inspector, they may nail you on it.

In my case, I load the smoker with brisket/butts at around 6pm every evening and they cook until about 8am the next morning. When I get in I pull the brisket and butt and reload with ribs/chicken/tips/sausage/etc. which cook in time to be done by lunch service at 11am. Then the smoker is used from 11-6 to continue to cook the shorter timed meats.

Awesome advice man!!! I am in the same boat as oompdaddy. What is your process of slicing? Lets say you slice and serve and now you have to put it back into holding are you wrapping it in sran wrap? or what is that process look like?

I was hired on at a resturant to fix the menu and I am having trouble figuring out how to hold meat. I was going to take a class from Mike and Amy Mills but the class got canceled

Back