MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-26-2019, 05:31 PM   #91
Hinds15
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : BullseyeMetalWerks

Did some reverse sear ribeyes last night for dinner. After bringing it 120 I pulled them off and cranked the temp to 500 and had a grease fire so shut it down and finished in a skillet on the stove. I did do a good clean before the cook but the grease fire started in the manifold (where the heat and smoke come from). So lesson learned do a burn off after every cook. I don't knock the 560 for this because it can happen to any grill/smoker if not cleaned or burned off. Ribeyes tasted great. Was going for medium rare but it finished medium instead. Pictures don't show it well. Also this thing gets up to searing temps FAST.

Last edited by Hinds15; 07-16-2020 at 11:31 AM..
Hinds15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 12-26-2019, 08:06 PM   #92
eurycea
Knows what a fatty is.

I had one of these in my cart at Amazon a week or so ago. They hadn't had any in stock when I'd been looking and then 1 popped up and so I thought I needed to jump on it. I then went to see if there were any rumors about the bigger one and when I was done it was gone. I noticed today they had some but I think I'm going to wait on the bigger model.
eurycea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2020, 07:13 PM   #93
Bbqguy1966
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Joseph

Read though a lot of the posts with all the naysayers given the G.F 560 a bad rap........ why waste you typing skills about something you know nothing about as you don’t own one!
I’m not trying come off with and attitude it just gets old after a while I’m sure you can agree with that if not then get your big boy pants on then.

What I can say as I do own one is for the $500 price tag you get a nice footprint the everyday backyard bbqer that doesn’t want to spend the $3k price for a higher end G.F smoker. I loaded the shoot with 14lbs of Kingsford briquettes and did the burn process along with seasoning the grill grates then moved on to cook up some chicken wings and then finished the day off with 8 lbs of pork belly burnt ends. I will say the unit work flawlessly held temps with 5 degrees according to my digital thermometer, out of the 14lbs of Kingsford briquettes I still have a good 4lbs left over after all said and done. The ash bucket had nothing but ash in there and what was in there was little bites of my chunks of wood I added for extra smoke flavor.

Know I did add a piece of expanded metal to the slide out tray where the charcoal comes down the shoot so it forced the charcoal to burn longer before falling into the ash bucket, also added a piece of foil to the top of the shoot as most owners that own a G.F smoker would understand that. I also added 2 full slide out grill grates in place of the 1/2 grill grates that come with the unit.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:39 AM   #94
Hinds15
Full Fledged Farker

Did some beef ribs the other night. Turned out great.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:50 PM   #95
Hinds15
Full Fledged Farker

For about a year and a half my 26 kettle with a poortex was my go to for wings. I think the 560 has replace it.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-21-2020, 08:14 PM   #96
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinds15 View Post
For about a year and a half my 26 kettle with a poortex was my go to for wings. I think the 560 has replace it.

Looks great! Details? Cooking temp? Process? Inquiring minds wanna know [emoji851]
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2020, 08:55 PM   #97
Hinds15
Full Fledged Farker

Used akorn big block lump. Added one layer of lump then 4 small pecan wood chunks and filled the hopper up with lump a little over halfway. Wings were seasoned with Tony chachere (normally like kosmos hot cow cover but was out). Cooked for about 50 minutes at 320.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:30 AM   #98
BBQ Diva
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Masterbuilt did a video on Facebook live. Essentially every part of this grill is replaceable, so I feel like I will get my money's worth. It's been great so far.

Old 01-29-2020, 05:33 PM   #99
rexster314
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm a happy, satisfied 560 customer. Had it for 3 weeks now

Old 01-29-2020, 09:05 PM   #100
Hot Spot
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

I saw a couple of people somewhere else that said the meat from the 560 was not as tender as they liked. I don't see why that would be the fault of the cooker. Anyone here feel the same way?
Hot Spot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2020, 10:35 PM   #101
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Spot View Post
I saw a couple of people somewhere else that said the meat from the 560 was not as tender as they liked. I don't see why that would be the fault of the cooker. Anyone here feel the same way?
I agree. It's the cook. Could be they need to adjust something in the cook process but that's still not the cooker.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2020, 10:12 AM   #102
rexster314
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Spot View Post

It's the cook/cooking procedure. I've had the 560 since the first week of January. I've taken to reverse searing the steaks I've been doing with great success and tenderness. I did a 4 bone prime rib roast a couple of weeks ago, going low and slow till it hit 130, then cranking it up to 600 and searing off the roast. It was one of the tenderest prime ribs we've done; oven, grill, rotisserie. There was MAYBE a tablespoon of drippings in my catch pan, with all the juices staying inside the meat. Ribs, fish, sausage, steaks, chicken, all cooked on it and excellent results for each one

Old 01-30-2020, 11:30 AM   #103
LloydQ
is Blowin Smoke!

My local Home Depot has them now, I discovered this morning.
LloydQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2020, 12:08 PM   #104
FishinMusician
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : John Candy

Heavily, HEAVILY considering the 560. I've joined the FB page and it seems like a pretty good place to get any info you need on it. Some of what is shared seems to be issues and concerns, but it's a $500 unit, with more bells and whistles on it than anything in that price range, so that's kinda to be expected.

Hopefully I'll have one soon and can get on it. My old stick burner finally bit a little too much dust to hold temp right, so that has put me in the market.
FishinMusician is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2020, 02:20 PM   #105
rexster314
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinMusician View Post
Heavily, HEAVILY considering the 560. I've joined the FB page and it seems like a pretty good place to get any info you need on it. Some of what is shared seems to be issues and concerns, but it's a $500 unit, with more bells and whistles on it than anything in that price range, so that's kinda to be expected.

Hopefully I'll have one soon and can get on it. My old stick burner finally bit a little too much dust to hold temp right, so that has put me in the market.

Most of the issues and concerns don't have anything to do with the actual cooking and results of the cook. You won't be sorry