MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:18 AM   #31
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Regarding the issue of needing two smokers for two different temps...I cook all of my comp meat on a BWS Party.

Big meats are cooked at 250. When it is time to put in the ribs, it is also time to wrap the big meats. I have a second charcoal basket that I load up and get lit outside of the smoker. Once it gets going, I swap out the baskets, wraps the big meats, turn up the Guru to 275 and put in the ribs.

When the big meats come out it is time to wrap the ribs. Chicken goes in on top rack (notice ribs are foiled - no cross contamination).

The point is, one can cook all four meats on a BWS with two different temp ranges.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #32
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has given some advice. Although the best advice given was just get out there and see if you can see any in person. So hopefully if things go right I will do just that and end up at the KCBS comp in Kettering,OH this coming weekend to get a look at some cookers and speak with the teams to get their thoughts on their particular cooker.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #33
K-Train
is One Chatty Farker

Humphrey's Battle Box is a cooking machine
WSM 22.5
GMG Davy Crockett
K-Train is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2014, 01:57 PM   #34
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

If you decide on a Spicewine get a Super medium, not a medium. If you are thinking gravity fed take a long look at a Vulcan.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2014, 06:40 PM   #35
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

I suggest whatever model you get you make sure it is sized to be able to cook with pans.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2014, 06:34 AM   #36
New Pal Frank
is one Smokin' Farker

I use a Backwoods Competitor and Backwoods Chubby and love the set up. Big meats go on Friday evening in the Competitor. Light the Chubby around 4-5 AM saturady for ribbs to go on. usually when the big meats are in the cambro its time to rwrap the ribs and then they finish in the Competitor a long with chicken. Chubby has the fire removed, cleand up and ready to load back in the toyhauler.

Good luck.
Husband & Wife Team (so far)

[B][I][COLOR=magenta][U]Hug Hogs Competition BBQ Team[/U] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=black][U]New Palestine IN[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B]
New Pal Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2014, 07:54 AM   #37
thesemicullen
Full Fledged Farker

I second the notion of getting out there and seeing cookers in action for yourself. I think you'll find that most teams are very accommodating and you'll get a lot of help.

Tons of folks winning with Backwoods. But there are tons of folks winning on WSMs. Tons of folks winning on Yoders.

My point is that when it boils down, it's a lot more about the cook. Once you figure your cooker out and develop a process, you're golden.

Although, I've got a buddy with a Backwoods Party and he hates the fact that the water pan boils out every couple of hours. So there's that.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:49 AM   #38
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I don't understand the need for a gravity feed cooker. My medium Spicewine has a mazed charcoal basket and will hold temperature for 18 hours using a Guru without reloading charcoal. I also never use water in my Spicewine as the water acts like a big heat sink making you waste charcoal. We simply line the water pan with aluminum foil to catch the drippings for very easy internal cleanup. To me the only thing the water does is make a mess. If you are looking for a cooker that will last you the rest of your life, buy the Spicewine. Uncle Jay builds them like a brick chit house.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2014, 08:54 AM   #39
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
I don't understand the need for a gravity feed cooker. My medium Spicewine has a mazed charcoal basket and will hold temperature for 18 hours using a Guru without reloading charcoal. I also never use water in my Spicewine as the water acts like a big heat sink making you waste charcoal. We simply line the water pan with aluminum foil to catch the drippings for very easy internal cleanup. To me the only thing the water does is make a mess. If you are looking for a cooker that will live long than you, buy the Spicewine. Uncle Jay builds them like a brick chit house.
And some don't understand the need for charcoal basket smokers. Different strokes.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #40
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
And some don't understand the need for charcoal basket smokers. Different strokes.
I don't have a problem with people not understanding charcoal baskets. BTW, the Spicewine is not a charcoal basket smoker. I built one for the firebox to get a more efficient burn. Lots of Spicewine owners have done the same thing. I got the idea from Jimmy Brod (Smoking Cracker). I am frankly puzzled why you have a problem with me understanding the need for Gravity Feed. I am not allowed to have an opinion? I never said gravity feed is wrong, I said I (JUST ME) don't understand the need. To me (AND ONLY ME) it seems gravity feed has the possibility to jam with an oversized or odd shaped piece of charcoal where a charcoal basket is just a hunk of metal. YMMV

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2014, 09:06 AM   #41
Jason TQ

Quote:
I never said gravity feed is wrong, I said I (JUST ME) don't understand the need. To me (AND ONLY ME) it seems gravity feed has the possibility to jam with an oversized or odd shaped piece of charcoal where a charcoal basket is just a hunk of metal without moving parts.
And I never typed that you think gravity feed is wrong.........

Old 07-07-2014, 09:06 AM   #42
peeps

Quote:
I never said gravity feed is wrong, I said I (JUST ME) don't understand the need. To me (AND ONLY ME) it seems gravity feed has the possibility to jam with an oversized or odd shaped piece of charcoal where a charcoal basket is just a hunk of metal without moving parts.
Never had mine jam/bridge using quality briquettes. No moving parts in mine, either, so I think your understanding of them may be a bit off.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #43
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
Never had mine jam/bridge using quality briquettes. No moving parts in mine, either, so I think your understanding of them is a bit off.
Yes exactly. Different strokes . Every cooker has their pro's and con's. And different people will think the con's are pro's on one cooker and pro's are con's. Some want the moving parts and think that is awesome and some like it more simple. What works for some won't work for others in a competition. So negating a type of cooker in a discussion like this is just strange to me.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #44
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Militant83 View Post
Being that I have never seen either in person, I'm only making observations on pictures from their websites. The fit and finish on the back woods looks to be more refined. Feel free to tell me otherwise.

Wow. Not even close. Humphrey's has a powder coating setup at their shop. He does lots of multi-layer custom colors - think automotive paint finish here. Backwoods tend to rust from the inside out, and the design means that you have to pretty much dismantle the cooker to replace the components that will rust out first. (The thin metal under the firebox, and the internal double wall divider in the back that you won't be able to see rusting until it fails.)

Humphrey's uses thicker gauges of steel in most places, and higher quality fittings - because Chad Humphrey made a living repairing rusted out Backwoods smokers before he launched his own line so he knew what needed to change.

I cook mainly on pellets (FEC100) but use a Backwoods Chubby for ribs. Less than 3 years old and it's already rusting. When it gets replaced, it will be replaced by a Humphrey's cooker. (For $400, you can get a pellet drive on any of this cookers - maybe I will do that and go 100% pellet.)
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #45
rtboswell
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
And I never typed that you think gravity feed is wrong.........
Be careful Jason, he has an eidetic memory and will never forget what you've said to him.