Crockpot Chili - Work Chili Competition - Flat Iron Streak Smoke - Ideas Please

zippy12

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Using the UDS to smoke 3 Flat Iron Steaks(FIS) for 2hrs?

This will be done in a crock pot!

I have most of the chili recipe worked out:
1 lb Fresh ground chuck will be the other meat
1 jar of La Costena Chipolte chilis for heat

Looking for the unique smoke flavor to come from the smoked and cubed FIS

What wood?
2 hours (or 140F) then cube be OK

Crock 8hrs over night..

20171015_152326.jpg

Ideas Please!

For work chili.......you want a pot that will appeal to a broad audience.

I've recently tried another method other than my longstanding use of Carol Shelby's Chili Mix.

I have to say....it yielded excellent results that my family loved.

On the table for those that wanted to spice their's up.

We had a big chili contest at work last year, and one guy brought a crock pot full of (I think Nalleys) canned chili, to which he added some sausage for pizza, and some jalapenos, and won unanimously. My home made chili did not stand a chance.

We had a big chili contest at work last year, and one guy brought a crock pot full of (I think Nalleys) canned chili, to which he added some sausage for pizza, and some jalapenos, and won unanimously. My home made chili did not stand a chance.

Is that cheatin?

Gebhardts is the only chili powder we use. Great stuff. We always add a bit more prior to serving to wake it back up

I just smoked a flat iron Monday night. Took about 45 minutes for medium rare at 250. I buy it a lot because I can get it for around $6 on sale. Has a bit of liver flavor to it but tender and otherwise quite tasty.

Great recipe, but disagree about the tomatoes. You need some acid with all that richness and savory.

Back